Gophers guard Mike Mitchell Jr. is staying with Ben Johnson's program

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Marcus:

Gophers junior starting guard Mike Mitchell Jr., is looking forward to returning to the team next season, his father told the Star Tribune on Saturday.

"He's coming back and excited to start working with coach Ben Johnson, the coaching staff and his teammates to prepare for a great season and to reach their ultimate goal of making the NCAA tournament," Mike Mitchell Sr. said. "He is also very appreciative of how the University of Minnesota community embraced him from the moment he arrived."

After coming off the bench to open the season, the Pepperdine transfer started the last 23 games and averaged 10.2 points and 2.6 assists while shooting 40% from three-point range.

Mitchell, a 6-2 native of San Jose, Calif., joins junior point guard Elijah Hawkins, the league's assist leader, to possibly give the U one of the most experienced backcourts in the Big Ten.

Go Gophers!!

But can we trust this? I've been told here hat people constantly lie about there feelings when talking to reporters....... SMH

But can we trust this? I've been told here hat people constantly lie about there feelings when talking to reporters....... SMH
I mean at this point it probably isn't safe to assume anything until the portal windows are closed and the rosters are set.

But would seem like a direct quote from his dad saying he is coming back is a pretty solid indication he will be on the roster next year.

I get your point but 2 weeks ago didn't Payne say he was excited about what this group could do next year?

Mitchell will be coming back though clearly it appears.

I think it depends upon the circumstances. If a microphone is pushed in someone's face right at the end of the season, then that person might give a false answer about returning just to avoid any controversy in the moment. That's similar to what happened with Isaiah Washington. He said he was coming back but anyone paying attention found that hard to believe.

Does he come back if there’s a good chance more guys are leaving? 🤷

Mike Mitchell is the same as when I watch hockey. I can watch for an hour straight and nobody scores a goal, but I turn the channel for 5 minutes and miss the goals. Similarly, I watched a lot of Gopher basketball this year and don't think I ever saw him make a 3 pointer. But he shot 40% so he must have been making a fair amount when I was seeing what Seinfeld episode TBS had on?

Mike Mitchell is the same as when I watch hockey. I can watch for an hour straight and nobody scores a goal, but I turn the channel for 5 minutes and miss the goals. Similarly, I watched a lot of Gopher basketball this year and don't think I ever saw him make a 3 pointer. But he shot 40% so he must have been making a fair amount when I was seeing what Seinfeld episode TBS had on?
Gee Tim, you are clearly a genuine fan. Bet you donate generously to the Gopher scholarship fund. As a season ticket holder,, I am very pleased that Mitchell will be back to tandem with Hawkins. He was a solid contributor, and will only get better.

Mitchell was pretty much automatic when he was shooting in rhythm. Strange take.

I like Mitchell. I think if I could pick out his flaw it would be the tendency to rush. When he was rushing his shots, he was off balance and often looked like he’d never hit anything.

Then, almost inevitably he’d gather himself and start hitting shots. I feel like that obvious rushing (it was so visible in his posture) stuck out to you?

I think if Mike was able to work on being in a more consistent mental state, his scoring could dramatically increase.

His defense was clearly getting better towards the end. He needs to work on that late drive reach in foul he picked up too much.

I also expecct Hawkins to stay. Enough transferring is enough, and this was a good environment for him, at least as it allowed him to lead the nation in assists. I don't think he'll be looking a gift horse in the mouth in that regard.

The linchpin obviously continues to be Garcia. Is no news good news? Or is this a disquieting quiet?

Gee Tim, you are clearly a genuine fan. Bet you donate generously to the Gopher scholarship fund. As a season ticket holder,, I am very pleased that Mitchell will be back to tandem with Hawkins. He was a solid contributor, and will only get better.
I was sort of just joking around. And I would never insulate that I am a better fan than you. I know when the fan rankings come out you will be way above me.

Mitchell was pretty much automatic when he was shooting in rhythm. Strange take.
Yeah that is why I said he was obviously making him. Due to the streaky nature of his shooting I was joking that I ended up missing the good.

I didn’t mean to make any of the super fans mad. I sometimes forget how serous college basketball is. My bad.

I normally like your takes, but you couldn't have watched much if you didn't see him making 3's. :)

Yeah that is why I said he was obviously making him. Due to the streaky nature of his shooting I was joking that I ended up missing the good.

I didn’t mean to make any of the super fans mad. I sometimes forget how serous college basketball is. My bad.
It's now going to take me all of the day and most of the night to calm down. (Why did you have to go and say that?!)

How dare you? I'm going to have to drink a beer now. I'm even going to make it a Corona. WITH A LIME FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!!! Oh the humanity.

I was sort of just joking around. And I would never insulate that I am a better fan than you. I know when the fan rankings come out you will be way above me.
If I rank high enough I will demand NIL $$ or I will enter the portal.

Top Bottom