Gophers get their 2026 QB - Owen Lansu

Not a huge guy, but he’s a 2026 kid so could still grow some, moves well in the pocket, throws well on the run, can sling it. You never know what happens with QB’s moving forward though.

Good arm strength, mobility and pocket awareness. Great pickup (if we can hang on to him).

One thing the 247 article doesn't mention is that Downers Grove North played for the Illinois 7A (2nd highest division) State Championship but lost. If you can lead your team to the state championship at that level of Illinois football as a Soph, then this kid should be interesting to watch the next 2 yrs.

These threads used to be pretty active with excitement when there's a commitment. Getting good players committed early is still not a bad thing but doesn't mean as much anymore.
Yeah, even if you manage to hang onto a recruit through the whole process the excitement is still muted these days because you have to see if the player sticks around or transfers out.

Recruiting is still interesting to follow but people are definitely way less invested in it than they used to be.

Recruiting is still interesting to follow but people are definitely way less invested in it than they used to be.

Interest in HS recruiting has been eclipsed by interest in transfer portal recruiting. That makes perfect sense because of the things you mention and that they're not likely to make an immediate impact as freshmen anyway.

I'll keep an open mind but as noted above, its a long time between the commitment and putting on the pads. And sure, he could blow up, but getting exited over a 3 star QB isn't happening.

I think it's probably good to build a relationship with a player early and gauge the level of interest. However, I kind of dislike early commitments. It just seems to give time to another school to figure out where they need to be with NIL and see what they can offer to entice the player to switch sides.

Downersl Grove, Illinois. Hope to the legendary professional wrestling Poffo family, which includes one Randy "Macho Man" Savage.

Downersl Grove, Illinois. Hope to the legendary professional wrestling Poffo family, which includes one Randy "Macho Man" Savage.
I remember Randy's baseball profile: some pop in his bat, but a little crude behind the plate (he was a catcher).

Poffo? As in Leaping Lenny?
Indeed! Both Randy and Lanny are sons of Angelo Poffo (pictured below), who was also a big-time pro wrestler. Former NWA tag team champ in the mid-1960s with Chris Markoff as the Devil's Duo managed by Bobby "The Brain" Heenan.

Angelo Poffo.jpg

Top Bottom