Gophers Football ’22 Opponents Ranked by Difficulty (1. @ Penn State| October 22, 2022)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Max:

1. @ Penn State| October 22, 2022​

The Penn State Nittany Lions had a rather disappointing season in 2021, finishing 7-6, far below Happy Valley expectations. They started off hot, running the table to 5-0 and and ranking top-4 in the country. Then, they lost to Iowa and the wheels fell off.

Every year, Penn State hosts a home game that’s hyped up as the “White Out Game”. That’s 110,000 screaming PSU fans wearing all white and drugged up by a ballyhooed tradition that makes the stands at Beaver Stadium look like a massive modern style, open concept house.

Normally, such Happy Valley festivities are dedicated to matchups vs Ohio State or Michigan. In 2022, the Minnesota Gophers get the honor. All jokes aside, it’s one of the hardest college football environments to play in, and I expect the Nittany Lions to come back to form this fall.

Sean Clifford returns at quarterback, but there’s not a ton returning on offense, beyond him. Defensively, PJ Mustipher returns at defensive tackle and linebacker, Curtis Jacobs, is back too. Tons of talent left for the NFL, but at Penn State and under James Franklin, you don’t rebuild. You reload.

The Nittany Lions have a lot of up and coming talent, and add on the Whiteout game environment, this game looks like the toughest game on the Minnesota Gophers’ 2022 schedule.

Go Gophers!!

Is anyone planning on traveling to this? Does the alumni association arrange anything?

I would think Iowa is Gophs toughest game until they start winning it with some consistency...
You have a point. However I am in complete denial. I am not capable of giving Ioaw any credit.;)

Is anyone planning on traveling to this? Does the alumni association arrange anything?
Creative Charters/ Goalline Club would be my first look/ choice if I was looking to travel with fellow Gopher fans. Not sure about how consistent the Alumni Association is with away games outside of bowl games.

Maybe this is a hot take, but I would probably put Wisconsin above PSU. Gophers can lose this game and it won't have any impact on the division race if they have H2H loses against Wisconsin, Nebraska, or Iowa. I also think that Wisconsin is returning more of their roster than PSU.

Last edited:

Maybe this is a hot take, but I would probably put Wisconsin above PSU. Gophers can lose this game and it won't have any impact on the division race if they have H2H loses against Wisconsin, Nebraska, or Iowa. I also think that Wisconsin is returning more of their roster than PSU.
Absolutely agree. Also on the road, very likely to decide the division once again, possibly difficult weather conditions, etc. For me, @PSU is probably tied for 2nd with Iowa at home...and it pains me to say that.

I would think Iowa is Gophs toughest game until they start winning it with some consistency...
@ Penn state in the white out is no doubt harder than Iowa at home

that being said though, i’d probably put @ Wisconsin over both

Top Bottom