Gophers Drafted?

GoldenHerbs

Reaction score
Its a damn shame Wisconsin, Purdue, Iowa etc have kids goin to the NFL and not one Gopher so far this year. Hopefully this changes with the better recruits Brewster is getting. Its embarassing.

Lydon Murtha just was picked in the 7th round by Detroit. He was almost a Gopher.

Is it lack of talent or the inability to develop them?

I think it was a severe lack of talent in last years senior class. Next year we should have a hand full of players drafted with Decker and BPT being locks.

Its a damn shame Wisconsin, Purdue, Iowa etc have kids goin to the NFL and not one Gopher so far this year. Hopefully this changes with the better recruits Brewster is getting. Its embarassing.

My guess is that WVS, Kucek and possibly Steve Davis will be offered free agent deals. Sometimes this is better than being drafted in the last couple of rounds. We should find out if they were offered soon.

drafted

Just because no Gophers were drafted means zero. The NFL draft is a vanity show at times. Over under on the career of Stafford in Detroit...3 years, Sanchez in N.Y....2 years. Chris Wells...stud pro bowler. Harvin...yikes, a poster boy for fat pat.

I think BPT will be a first round pick next year. But what about Decker? Im guessing 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Wow we have a good chance of 2 first round picks next year!!!

BPT will not be a first round pick. he will be drafted but not in the first round

Is it lack of talent or the inability to develop them?

If it was an inability to develop them I have to ask why we have developed the classes below them so much better than this year's senior class. After all, we only lost 1 senior starter on offense (Simmons), and 2-3 on defense (Van De Steeg, Hightower, Mannion) plus the K & P.

That should tell you enough that it was a lack of talent in the class. Mason did a poor job of recruiting his last few years. Many fans saw that long ago and the ones that didn't see that have to look no further than the draft for evidence.

Next year we will likely have 2 drafted and one of them came from Juco.
- Eric Decker will likely go 2-3rd round (he is the #1-#2 SR WR but Benn from Illinois, Briscoe from KU, & Dez Bryant Oklahoma St. will all go before him + I'm sure I'm missing some).
- Traye Simmons will probably be a 3rd-5th round selection

Outside shot for the following:
- Tramaine Brock (hopefully he is eligible)
- Simoni Lawrence (he has the speed but is likely too small)
- Garrett Brown (it is a possibility with a good senior yr)
- Matt Stommes (he has the measurables but will need a great Sr year)

Seeing that we have more should tell you something but it is also telling that 3 of the 7 players on the list are Juco transfers from the 2008 recruiting class.

I dont understand how you guys think BPT will be a 3rdor4th round pick he is a lock at a 1st round pick.

I have a lot of respect for you Big Play and I love BPT but calling him a lock in the first round is silly.

I think another guy who might have pro potential could be Lee Campbell, he is a big LB but might be too slow for the NFL.
________
Dc Medical Marijuana Dispensary

I have a lot of respect for you Big Play and I love BPT but calling him a lock in the first round is silly.

I think another guy who might have pro potential could be Lee Campbell, he is a big LB but might be too slow for the NFL.

Whatever but dont be surprised when Traye is Drafted in the 1st round!!

NDSU puts 6 in NFL today.

All these guys played in Metrodome vs Gophs.

Nick Schommer got drafted in 7th by Titans.

Free Agent Signings:

Tyler Roehl - Seattle
Jeremiah Wurzbacher - San Diego
Ramon Humber - Indy
Kole Heckendorf - Green Bay
Joe Lardinos - Green Bay

Sam Maresh's lil brother Mike Maresh is still fielding calls from teams.

Goph's have talent now, should have more in NFL next year.

I dont understand how you guys think BPT will be a 3rdor4th round pick he is a lock at a 1st round pick.

I like Big Play but I don't see him as a 1st rounder. BPT is a player that seems better in a cover 2 but the first round is for lock down man-to-man corners and later rounds are for cover 2 corners.
He has adequate speed (~4.5 40 yard dash) but not great. His hips are adequate but not great. If he is beat he has good recovery speed to catch up to and bat the ball down. His ball skills are probably about average for an NFL corner, maybe a slight bit better than average. He is weak in run support which is probably the biggest detractor for him right now.

If he can add 10 lbs of muscle (not easy for a CB) to get stronger against the run while improving his man coverage skills there is a chance he could go round one. However, it is more likely that he will go in the 3rd or 4th round to a team that plays a lot of cover 2. Cover 2 teams will like that his hips are better than average for his height and he has a good combination of height & speed.

Top Bottom