Gophers coach Ben Johnson outlines objectives for his freshmen

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Greder:

No freshman will have a bigger welcome-to-the-Big-Ten moment than center Pharrel Payne, who will draw the matchup of Boilermakers 7-foot-4 All-America candidate Zach Edey.

“Let’s go and measure ourself against somebody of that caliber and see where we are at individually, and let’s see where we are at as a team,” head coach Ben Johnson said Friday. “That is the type of challenge I want our guys to embrace.”

Johnson met Friday with his four freshman — Carrington, Ola-Joseph, Payne and Jaden Henley — and challenged them to assess other freshmen’s performances, while comparing it to themselves.

“I want those guys to continually do a self-analysis of how they are growing,” Johnson said. “They are fortunate, and I showed them the numbers. For four freshmen to play at a minimum of 15 minutes a game is unheard of. I showed them the numbers and went team by team.”

Go Gophers!!

This is the wrong approach. Comparing yourself to other freshman is irrelevant unless you’re only playing against other freshman. They need to compare themselves to other guys of similar positions getting similar minutes. If you’re going against a junior that is destroying you no one cares if you’re a freshman.

This is the wrong approach. Comparing yourself to other freshman is irrelevant unless you’re only playing against other freshman. They need to compare themselves to other guys of similar positions getting similar minutes. If you’re going against a junior that is destroying you no one cares if you’re a freshman.
Debbie, it's just fine to show them that in most places freshman don't get the playing time and if they do they have to improve their game, not sit back and think they've made it. Coach is pushing them to realize that just because they get the minutes doesn't mean they have arrived. He is challenging them to raise their game.

Debbie, it's just fine to show them that in most places freshman don't get the playing time and if they do they have to improve their game, not sit back and think they've made it. Coach is pushing them to realize that just because they get the minutes doesn't mean they have arrived. He is challenging them to raise their game.
Agree with your comments. Ben has laid out some challenges for them. Let’s see how they respond today against Purdue.

Because comparing yourself to others always works out so well. Questionable

Lets see what happens if the other freshman he compares them to have All-conference years and maybe our teams do not, he’s def testing their mental toughness.

That’s not how I see it. Sorry I don’t fully believe this staff is capable. Time will tell

Lets see what happens if the other freshman he compares them to have All-conference years and maybe our teams do not, he’s def testing their mental toughness.
Yup, I also don't agree with comparing yourself to others. Change your best. Ben needs to be the one giving them analysis not encouraging them to do self analysis and coming up with some random goal that is totally not in line with their role on the team.
Give them benchmarks to aspire to and give them the direction Ben....not leave it up to them.

Also, nothing in the comments about defense, rebounding, taking care of the ball and playing 10X harder. Asking the freshmen to concentrate or put their value on scoring is the wrong approach

And emphasizing the minutes is like I'm the worlds nicest coach....nobody else would do this for you but I'm going out of my way to play you guys 15 minutes a game. Nobody else does this.
At least come from: you guys are really special...you have earned 15 minutes a game but it's just weak to go there. Why bring it up if not to make yourself look good to the players??

Last edited:

I don't take much away from this. Ben is digging for positives out of a rough start. Let's see if what he told them works today. Do they come out and play as individuals or do they begin to gel as a team? We need to improve every game and be a solid team by the end of this year.

The rest is all chatter.

Apparently Ben has failed once again by giving his rookies the wrong thoughts. In reality the only mistake he has made is to share any honest hint about his ideas. He could tell them to eat healthy foods and somebody here would scream it is the wrong approach.

Apparently Ben has failed once again by giving his rookies the wrong thoughts. In reality the only mistake he has made is to share any honest hint about his ideas. He could tell them to eat healthy foods and somebody here would scream it is the wrong approach.
If social media wasn’t a thing, then I’d feel a little better about this approach.
In the era these kids live in though, its more risky for these kids to be told “hey, look at what these guys who get the same minutes you get are doing that you are not, be more like this person on a diff team with diff circumstances and who knows about their athletic ability compared to yours”

Its like someone were to compare TT to Chet Holmgren (have no idea if they were in the same class) and tell TT, be like Chet in their freshman year

This teams tournament is the B1G tourney. The process is to be a tough out by that tourney.
I like this thinking.

Improve a lot as season progresses, avoid Weakling Wednesday, but even if they don’t, win a game or two in Chicago. Whether Gophers are good, bad, or somewhere in between, it’s always such a downer to be out of the tournament before Friday’s quarterfinals, when the real fun starts. Make it to Friday!

Last edited:

Top Bottom