Gophers can secure bowl eligibility with win at Nebraska

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the AP:

WHAT'S AT STAKE?
Minnesota is two games behind first-place Illinois in the Big Ten West and needs a win here to keep its slim division hopes alive. A win also makes the Gophers bowl-eligible for the fourth time in five years. Nebraska's bid for a first bowl bid since 2016 would take a serious hit with a loss here and a trip to Michigan up next.

Go Gophers!!

We can do this! Detroit is a great fun place in late December! 🙌
For all the griping about Detroit the gophers have been to 17 bowls in the past 23 seasons and only 3 have been Detroit

So 3 times in 23 years

This leads me to believe I will never hear the end of bowling green

I remember when making a bowl game was a big deal. Perceptions have definitely changed.

I love getting to watch an extra Gophers game during the holiday season whether it is against Central Michigan in the Quick Lane Bowl or Auburn in the Outback Bowl. Obviously I PREFER the latter....but I'll take whatever we can get.

More football is a good thing.

2 in NY6 + Citrus
Or
3 in NY6

Those three will be Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State

Then probably
Illinois
Maryland
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Iowa
Purdue

Maybe but probably not
Michigan state or Rutgers

No
Indiana
Nebraska
Northwestern

Not even sure the big ten bowl tie ins anymore. But I feel like you need to be top 6 to avoid both New York and Detroit. Need to be top 8 to avoid Detroit.

I love getting to watch an extra Gophers game during the holiday season whether it is against Central Michigan in the Quick Lane Bowl or Auburn in the Outback Bowl. Obviously I PREFER the latter....but I'll take whatever we can get.

More football is a good thing.
Amen.

If someone only considers NYD bowls worthy, don’t watch the other games.

The rest of us like fun.

Nebraska wishes they were going to a “bad” bowl game.

Yup.

Fall 1999. A bunch of us were so happy the Gophs made the Sun Bowl, we traveled to El Paso which seemed like it was on the edge of the world (some of the best TexMex and margaritas I've ever had, by the way). Making a "mid tier" bowl, the first bowl for the Gophs since the 1980s, was a huge deal back then. Thank goodness times have changed and making a bowl is expected.

On a side note, the Sun Bowl event and venue itself didn't disappoint and is underrated in the whole bowl picture in my mind.

2 in NY6 + Citrus
Or
3 in NY6

Then probably
Illinois
Maryland
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Iowa
Purdue

Maybe but probably not

No
Indiana
Nebraska
Northwestern

Not even sure the big ten bowl tie ins anymore. But I feel like you need to be top 6 to avoid both New York and Detroit. Need to be top 8 to avoid Detroit.
This looks pretty accurate and what I'm seeing in the projections. It's all a crap shoot now with the "placement" system, but you'd think if Illinois wins 9+ they'll get the former Outback Bowl. Mayo Bowl is technically next, followed by Music City, then Pinstripe. The last three weeks are obviously big in creating separation between Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Purdue. I love following bowl projections, but the prices is so opaque now. You pretty much just know your team won't go to the same place two years in a row, so if the current probabilities, no Purdue in Nashville or Minnesota in Phoenix.

2 in NY6 + Citrus
Or
3 in NY6

Then probably
Illinois
Maryland
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Iowa
Purdue

Maybe but probably not

No
Indiana
Nebraska
Northwestern

Not even sure the big ten bowl tie ins anymore.
But I feel like you need to be top 6 to avoid both New York and Detroit. Need to be top 8 to avoid Detroit.

Monday, Dec. 26

• Quick Lane Bowl vs. MAC | 2:30 p.m. | ESPN

Tuesday, Dec. 27

• Guaranteed Rate Bowl vs. Big 12 | 10:15 p.m. | ESPN

Thursday, Dec. 29

• Pinstripe Bowl vs. ACC | 2 p.m. | ESPN

Friday, Dec. 30

• Duke’s Mayo Bowl vs. ACC | 12 p.m. | ESPN

Saturday, Dec. 31

• Transperfect Music City Bowl vs. SEC | 12 p.m. | ABC

Monday, Jan. 2, 2023

• ReliaQuest Bowl vs. SEC | 12 p.m. | ESPN2
  • Vrbo Citrus Bowl vs. SEC | 1 p.m. | ABC
  • Rose Bowl Game vs. Pac-12 | 5 p.m. | ESPN

The Orange and Cotton are also technically in play for top 12 ranked teams, though the highest G5 conf champ will probably be outside the top 12.

But if the Orange takes a Big Ten team, the Citrus is allowed to replace our tie-in with an ACC team.

2 in NY6 + Citrus
Or
3 in NY6

Then probably
Illinois
Maryland
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Iowa
Purdue

Maybe but probably not

No
Indiana
Nebraska
Northwestern

Maryland has 3 losses already and still has PSU and OSU left. You really think they will finish above us in the bowl pecking order?

But if the Orange takes a Big Ten team, the Citrus is allowed to replace our tie-in with an ACC team.
Correct.
Illinois losing to MSU eliminates the chance of 4 in NY6 which would’ve meant orange plus cotton.

So now it’s 3 for those 3 between NY6 and citrus.

I don't think Penn St gets up to top 11 (Tulane probably outside top 12). But we'll see on Tuesday.

They only have Mayland, Rutgers, and Mich State left.

So that would be Penn State to the Outback? OSU/Mich to CFP/Rose, whichever loses.

EDIT: they just went to Outback last year, so I don't think they are allowed to go back this year.

Would be Citrus then. West champ/CCG loser to the Outback, Penn St to the Citrus?

That's what it used to be. I believe this year it is now the ReliaQuest (formerly Outback) Bowl's Big Ten bid that goes to the ACC, not the Citrus Bowl's as it was previously, if a Big Ten team plays in the Orange Bowl.

That's what it used to be. I believe this year it is now the ReliaQuest (formerly Outback) Bowl's Big Ten bid that goes to the ACC, not the Citrus Bowl's as it was previously, if a Big Ten team plays in the Orange Bowl.
If true, that would make sense that the Big Ten would want to rig it up like that.

Why? Money, of course. Citrus pays out $2M higher than Outback.

The games are pretty interchangeable, otherwise.

Top Bottom