Gophers at Ohio State - Game Preview

" Dawson Garcia registered his first double double of his Gopher career Saturday and fifth collegiately. It was Minnesota's first 15-point, 15-rebound game from a Gopher since Daniel Oturu, March 4, 2020 at Indiana. In the past two games, Garcia has scored 33 points and 24 rebounds against conference opponents. Garcia's 15 rebounds marked a career-high and was also Minnesota's third double double of the season, second in points/rebounds. The first was Pharrel Payne's vs. California Baptist with 15 pts, 13 rebs. "

Garcia is starting to play better. It seemed to take him awhile to get used to being on the court with Battle at the same time, and vise versa. Looking for them to continue taking better care of the ball and getting better with where they are taking their shots from. Go Gophers!

really hoping for the effort to be there like it has been the last 2 games!

Gopher bigs will have their hands full trying to guard the front court players Ohio State has.

also looking at what happens with the Samuals/Henley/Carrington minutes. they have been all over the place all year. Samuals had his best game last time out. Henley has been playing better. If we take out Carringtons best game where he was 4-7 from deep he is 13-49 the rest of the year. would be nice if he can start finding his groove from behind the arch. we really need that guard spot opposite Cooper to start producing more then it has.

Way off course, but seeing Fox in the photo gets me to thinking that if he recovers as quickly this time, we will see him play this season. That’s my hot take in January.

really hoping for the effort to be there like it has been the last 2 games!

Gopher bigs will have their hands full trying to guard the front court players Ohio State has.

also looking at what happens with the Samuals/Henley/Carrington minutes. they have been all over the place all year. Samuals had his best game last time out. Henley has been playing better. If we take out Carringtons best game where he was 4-7 from deep he is 13-49 the rest of the year. would be nice if he can start finding his groove from behind the arch. we really need that guard spot opposite Cooper to start producing more then it has.
Yep, the last couple of games have been fun.

I'm going to beat this dead horse, but I am looking forward to/hoping to seeing Payne really assert himself as one of our best players.

Henley has also been great. He could really be a terror on defense sooner than later.

Way off course, but seeing Fox in the photo gets me to thinking that if he recovers as quickly this time, we will see him play this season. That’s my hot take in January.
There were the same rumors last year and he never played. He got hurt in April 2021. In 2022 he got hurt in July, I believe. I don't see it.

With Marcus writing puff pieces about Taurus Samuels, it is unlikely the starting lineup will change for this game. If this team is gonna grit it out with toughness on defense, we need Payne and Carrington starting. Our offense looked better last game, but we can not count on it to win this season. We need to hold teams under 60 or we will not win games. Samuels getting 30+ minutes is moving in the wrong direction. If we are going to rebuild then let's f'ing do it.

Looks like Zed Key is expected to be out so we should have a major size advantage inside. Will need to win the battle in the paint to win this game.

A good effort on defense is what I will be looking for. That is one thing they can control. Also, progress among the freshmen. The "well-trained" reactions and skills take time.

For Ohio State, one guy to watch is emerging star freshman small forward Brice Sensabaugh. He was the #45 2022 prospect per ESPN.

He will be a menace to the Gophers.

Sensabaugh is averaging per game 16.7 points, 4.7 rebounds, 1.2 assists, and 52% field goal shooting.

Will be interesting to see what the Gophers do about him tonight.

"Brice Sensabaugh has dropped 20 or more points in four of his past six performances with opponents like North Carolina, then-No. 1 Purdue and Maryland all standing witness. Even in the two games that Sensabaugh didn’t crack 20." points, he still paced the Buckeyes in scoring."

Top Bottom