Gophers as favorites/underdogs in bowls

Go Gophers Rah

Section 238 Row 21
Reaction score
My guess is that we will be favored to win this year's Insight Bowl. That got me wondering about whether we've been favored in the past and how things turned out:

2008 Insight Bowl - 8 point underdogs versus Kansas - result: 21 point loss
2006 Insight Bowl - 7 point underdogs versus Texas Tech - result: 3 point loss
2005 Music City Bowl - 6 point favorite versus Virginia - result: 3 point loss
2004 Music City Bowl - 4 point underdogs versus Alabama - result: 4 point victory
2003 Sun Bowl - 4 point favorite versus Oregon- result: 1 point victory
2002 Music City Bowl - 7 point underdog versus Arkansas- result: 15 point victory

Really no discernable pattern here. In our past 6 bowls, we've gone 1-1 asfavorites and 2-2 as underdogs. More importantly, the 2009 Insight Bowl provides us with a change at ending a 3-game bowl losing streak and to start the 2010 season off bright.

Go Gophers!

Wow, Alabama was in the Music City Bowl in 2004? Holy crap, that's how progress is defined.

Progress=having $4 million to throw at an established top of the list coach with a national championship on his resume.

I'd define it that way as well too!

And the lack of progress shows in our bowls: Music, Sun, Music, Music,... Insight, Insight, Insight

And the lack of progress shows in our bowls: Music, Sun, Music, Music,... Insight, Insight, Insight

To add to this, the Insight Bowl is in the exact same place in the pecking order that the Music City Bowl was. Imagine if the Big Ten was still in that contract and we'd played in Nashville in 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008 & 2009.

Wouldn't it be nice to be better than mediocre?

To add to this, the Insight Bowl is in the exact same place in the pecking order ...
I was just looking that up. I don't know if it's worth getting excited about or groaning about... considering Mason had us plateaued at the 6th place spot, and Brewster (with more talent) has us back to there. I hope... hope... as the current talent matures into Jrs & Srs we can elevate past this spot.

Btw, how long is the affiliation to the Insight? You know... just in case... :rolleyes:

Top Bottom