Gophers are the Rodney Dangerfield of the Big Ten

cjbfbp

Reaction score
As usual, this team gets no respect. Iowa beats Purdue, a team it was expected to trounce, by two touchdowns and two of their players get helmet stickers from ESPN. Minnesota, a 7 point underdog and a unanimous pick as the loser of yesterday's game by the ESPN staff, gets no ink nor mention of any players after a 21 point victory over a 4-1 team. I know Maryland didn't play well yesterday but the Gophers had something to do with that. Their starting QB was just a freshman but he was Alabama player of the year, received some pretty FBS good offers, and had played more going into yesterday's game than our former walk-on QB played in his entire career.

Maybe if this team manages to beat Nebraska or even the new darling of the Big Ten media, Northwestern, it will merit a few words of praise.

"Gophers are the Rodney Dangerfield of the Big Ten".....

True, see Souhan, Scoggins, Reusse and 90 of the commenters on Star Tribune Gopher football articles.

"Gophers are the Rodney Dangerfield of the Big Ten".....

True, see Souhan, Scoggins, Reusse and 90 of the commenters on Star Tribune Gopher football articles.

Or just read this message board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True that, but on Sundays I set aside time to peruse them all.... Get's me in the mood for another work week.

The gophers played themselves into irrelevancy by dropping two games they could have easily won. Win the next three and people might start paying attention again nationally

The gophers played themselves into irrelevancy by dropping two games they could have easily won. Win the next three and people might start paying attention again nationally

This! We have to stop being so butt hurt all the time. The truth is we stunk it up the second half vs Penn State, and the whole game against Iowa (at least offensively). Our win against Maryland was far from a thing of beauty. We are a middling team right now and middling teams don't receive national accolades.

Gopher fans might just be the most sensitive and insecure in the whole country.

I'm assuming you don't look around the internet very often. Gopher fans are extremely tame compared to many other fan bases.

Truer words have never been spoken. The Gophers dropped two games they should have won. We SHOULD be 6-0 and if we were we would be ranked in the top 15 right now.

If we want respect we need to win the next 3. If we r 7-2 heading to Nebraska that game will carry much importance and folks nationally will be discussing all of the implications.

Respect is earned. What in our 2016 resume to this point would be worthy of anyone outside the state of Minnesota giving a crap about this team right now? Bad last year, Didn't beat anyone impressive in non-conf, dropped first 2 conf games, beat a lightly regarded Maryland team playing with their backup QB.

Win these next 3 extremely winnable games and then beat Nebraska and/or Sconnie and we will get plenty of respect. Until that time people need to stop getting bent out of shape when the media doesn't share in their excitement about the state of the program. When the Gophers earn respect they will get it.

We are a midcard performer right now. The only way we get any type of spotlight would be if we had a chance to win 10 games or directly in front of a game vs. the top teams and they need to hype the match up. With Wisconsin taking a 2nd loss, our only shot at getting true positive recognition is if we run the table heading into Nebraska (and then staying undefeated). I think the B1G will be making a '2 playoff team' conference claim if scUM and OSU end up with 1 loss between them so they need Nebraska to be a meaningful conference championship game - which means pumping up their record heading into the game. Then again, a lot of football left to be plated and we have lost to worse Illinois teams in the past.

Respect is earned. What in our 2016 resume to this point would be worthy of anyone outside the state of Minnesota giving a crap about this team right now? Bad last year, Didn't beat anyone impressive in non-conf, dropped first 2 conf games, beat a lightly regarded Maryland team playing with their backup QB.

Nevertheless, we were about a 7 point underdog and a unanimous choice by the ESPN staff to lose that game and we won by 21 points. As far as I'm concerned, there were only noteworthy results in last week's conference games: 1) OSU winning in OT; 2) Northwestern taking it to MSU at their field; and 3) Minnesota winning a game few thought they would win and winning it commandingly.

That's Nebraska fans....

As far as the topic at hand, when the Gophers earn more respect they'll get it when it comes to the bigger games. A division win is required at the least. Until then I see plenty of good stuff said about them here and there.

Nevertheless, we were about a 7 point underdog and a unanimous choice by the ESPN staff to lose that game and we won by 21 points. As far as I'm concerned, there were only noteworthy results in last week's conference games: 1) OSU winning in OT; 2) Northwestern taking it to MSU at their field; and 3) Minnesota winning a game few thought they would win and winning it commandingly.

I would add Indiana playing Nebraska tight ahead of us as well. The problem from a national perspective is that based on what we did the two weeks before, the game against Maryland was an after thought to people outside of Minnesota and DC (or wherever it is that Maryland considers home). Had we been undefeated going into that game, more would have taken notice, as it was though you have an 3-2 Gopher team taking on a Maryland team with a decent record but little in their resume that would make anyone think they were going to be relevant this year coming off a loss to a very mediocre Penn State team and playing a freshman QB.

I get why it was a big deal to us....I also get why the rest of the country could have cared less about that game.

Top Bottom