Gophers and Wildcats are on the Upswing

Iceland12

Reaction score
From ESPN:

"The Gophers started to build confidence toward the end of last season, when they beat Iowa, hung tough at Michigan State and dominated Illinois. That has shown early this year, as they survived an overtime win at UNLV and outlasted Western Michigan despite losing starting quarterback MarQueis Gray to injury.

"Last year, we might have been like, 'OK, here it goes again,'" Rabe said. "But this year, we have a ton of confidence that we can pull these games out. Our whole attitude is that we are supposed to win and we are going to win these games, not that we're trying not to lose."

Rabe said there's a buzz building on campus about this team, with students and teachers talking football more than in the past. That has yet to spread nationally, as Minnesota's schedule and lack of recent success hasn't created much attention for the 3-0 start, though a win this week over Syracuse could help."

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/58937/nw-and-minny

For those of you not using your ignore list here's ESPN's take on whether a Gopher win Satrrday gets them ranked. :cool:

Darren from Minneapolis writes: OK, call me crazy, I know. But...if the Gophers get to 4-0 do they deserve to be ranked? It is great that we can even have this discussion after the last few years.

Adam Rittenberg: All Gopher fans would agree with your last point, Darren. I don't think Minnesota deserves a Top 25 ranking at 4-0, although I'd expect the Gophers to at least get some votes. The Gophers' nonconference schedule isn't very taxing, and while a win against Syracuse would be nice, the Orange are 1-2. Western Michigan is a decent win, but I don't give Minnesota much for beating UNLV and New Hampshire. Now if the Gophers go on the road to beat Iowa for the third consecutive year -- and improve to 5-0 -- now you're talking about a team that deserves Top 25 consideration. Iowa will be by far Minnesota's toughest test, especially with the game at Kinnick Stadium, where the Gophers haven't won since 1999.

I swear that wasn't me that wrote the question.

Haha. Honestly, I was very surprised about us being ranked the LAST time we were in the top 25. In fact, I remember us getting votes prior to being ranked that year (Brew's 2nd year), and couldn't believe it. I think we are deserving of getting a few votes if we go 5-0, but wouldn't think of this years team at that time of the year as a top25 team in the nation.

Gotta at least win at Iowa first before it can even be considered. Then I'd say winning at home against Northwestern would firmly place us there. Then win @ Becky and I don't even care where we're ranked anymore, all I'd know is we have the Axe and the Pig, who cares where we're ranked lol.

None of the Goph's NC opponents have beaten an FBS team this year. It is absurb to even think they should be ranked if they beat Syracuse. Absurd.

UNLV 0-3 with a loss to FCS Northern Arizona
New Hampshire 2-1 with both wins over FCS teams (Holy Cross & Central Connecticut State)
Western Michigan 1-2 with only win vs. FCS team (Eastern Illinois)
Syracuse 1-2 with only win vs. FCS team (Stony Brook)

The trend should continue another week.....

NH @ Old Dominion
Air Force at UNLV
WMU vs. UCONN
Syracuse at Gophers

From Today's ESPN Chat

Hey Adam, The Gophers are 3-0, what is their outlook for the rest of the season and is a bowl game out of the question??
Adam Rittenberg (3:21 PM)

Dan, a bowl game absolutely isn't out of the question. Minnesota already is halfway there. Saturday night's game against Syracuse is huge. A win puts the Gophers at 4-0, gives them confidence they can beat a major-conference foe without MarQueis Gray and keeps the momentum going. Minnesota then faces an Iowa team it has beaten the past few years and has an open week. I'd expect Gray back for the Oct. 13 game against Northwestern. The thing working against the Gophers is the schedule, as their home slate is challenging (Northwestern, Purdue, Michigan, Michigan State). They're going to need to win a key road game, in my view, to go bowling.

gogogophers_1 (Minnesota)

Adam, We hear a lot how Northwestern looks to be in good shape early in the B1G season because of their schedule. One of those games is Minnesota. Yet we hear that Minnesota has a favorable schedule early including their game with Northwestern. Which way do you lean? Judging by the way things are going and the game being at TCF, I say it's a toss-up.
Adam Rittenberg (3:48 PM)

It's definitely a toss-up. MarQueis Gray could be back for Minnesota, which certainly helps the Gophers' chances. These teams have played a lot of close games, and while Northwestern has the edge in recent years, Minnesota certainly can win the game. The Gophers are playing at home, which helps them, although few teams play as well away from home as Northwestern under Pat Fitzgerald. Tough one to call. Check back with me in two weeks.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/45323/ncaa-fb-with-rittenberg

None of the Goph's NC opponents have beaten an FBS team this year. It is absurb to even think they should be ranked if they beat Syracuse. Absurd.

UNLV 0-3 with a loss to FCS Northern Arizona
New Hampshire 2-1 with both wins over FCS teams (Holy Cross & Central Connecticut State)
Western Michigan 1-2 with only win vs. FCS team (Eastern Illinois)
Syracuse 1-2 with only win vs. FCS team (Stony Brook)

The trend should continue another week.....

NH @ Old Dominion
Air Force at UNLV
WMU vs. UCONN
Syracuse at Gophers

WMU will beat UCONN at home.

Top Bottom