Gophers 67, Fairfield 57 -- game links

Jon

Reaction score
AP Rivals; Mbakwe leads Minnesota again
http://minnesota.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1295436

Ppress; Gophers 67, Fairfield 57: Trevor Mbakwe lifts Minnesota with first 20-10 game
http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_19361001

Ppress; Sloppy Gophers take their lumps in ugly win over Fairfield (cut and paste since ppress was loading crazy slow) -- link at bottom
By Marcus R. Fuller
[email protected]
Updated: 11/17/2011 11:51:25 PM CST

Maverick Ahanmisi drives to the basket and scores on a second half layup. He was fouled and put in the free throw, as the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers played the Fairfield Stags at the U of M on Nov. 17, 2011. (Pioneer Press: Scott Takushi)
The focus should have been on senior forward Trevor Mbakwe's revival from the free-throw line and career night offensively.

But instead the Gophers (3-0) came away concerned about their health and carelessness after committing 23 turnovers Thursday in a 67-57 victory over Fairfield in front of 10,641 at Williams Arena.

Mbakwe, off to a better start than last season when he earned All-Big Ten honors, reached the 20-point, 10-rebound mark for the first time in his short career at Minnesota. He also shot a career-best 16 of 18 from the free-throw line, despite spraining the thumb and wrist on his right shooting hand earlier in the week.

"I just missed too many free throws last year," Mbakwe said. "I know teams are going to foul me the way I play. I have to be able to make them pay for fouling me. I think it was key for how ugly the game was. I think that helped us down the stretch, that we were able to make free throws to keep the lead to a certain point."

It was hard to watch on both ends because Fairfield (1-2) committed 20 turnovers while shooting 42 percent from the field, including 2 for 16 from three-point range.

But the second half was particularly scary for Gophers fans when they watched the Stags pull to within 56-50 on two free throws by Maurice Barrow with 3:45 left. Ralph Sampson III committed the foul after coming down awkwardly following a blocked shot. Sampson and Rodney Williams both rolled their ankles after blocks in the second half.

As if Mbakwe's hand injury didn't worry the Gophers enough, they now have two more starters potentially banged up heading into a critical stretch in nonconference play. After Monday's game against Mount St. Mary's, Minnesota will travel to play in the Old Spice Classic in Orlando, Fla.
Gophers coach Tubby Smith said Sampson and Williams, who didn't return to the game after limping off the court, would have X-rays today to determine the extent of their injuries.

"As soon as I see a guy limp, it's like a lame horse," Smith said. "I have to pull him from the race."

Sampson and Mbakwe were among the four starters who committed at least four turnovers, and freshman point guard Andre Hollins had a team-high five.

"Coach was telling us after the game that (the turnovers) were like 46 points," Mbakwe said. "That's some extra possessions we weren't able to get. If we want to win in the Big Ten, we can't have that many turnovers, especially at home."

Mbakwe scored 12 points in the second half on the strength of his 10-for-12 shooting from the foul line. Andre Hollins also scored seven of his career-best 12 points on 5-for-5 free-throw shooting late in the game.

In addition to veterans such as Williams, Mbakwe and Sampson, the Gophers are relying on young and inexperienced players. Smith said that has caused a lot of the turnover problems.

"It was a sloppy game, but that just shows us what we need to work on," Austin Hollins said. "It was just rushing. They put some pressure on us a little bit, and we were just rushing."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_19361703

Top Bottom