Gophers’ Ben Johnson, P.J. Fleck comb other Big Ten coaches’ interviews for insights

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

Gophers coaches Ben Johnson and P.J. Fleck don’t just watch game film to dissect opposing players and coaching schemes for the team next up on Minnesota’s schedule. The leaders of two high-profile U programs watch news conferences for coaches of those teams, looking to glean a nugget or two about their game plans and whether or not a key player will suit up.

But Johnson and Fleck don’t stop there.

They also binge watch a majority of the Big Ten coaches’ interviews. They are looking to learn from their peers and find bigger-picture takeaways to bring back to their own teams.

Johnson didn’t put a number on how many news conferences he watches in a given week — there is much more volume with men’s basketball teams playing multiple games a week — but it’s “a lot,” he said.

“As a coach, I probably watch it too much,” Johnson acknowledged last week. “It helps me. I think it’s good information. It lets you know you are doing the right things when you watch guys going through what you are going through — good or bad. I think it helps me learn.”

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom