GopherHole's Weekly Sports Huddle Summary: Coach Jerry Kill - 7/28/13

DL65

Reaction score
Coach Kill's comments and responses to queries by Sid Hartman and Dave Mona - some of which were questions raised by GopherHolers in a thread earlier this week:

1) Sid opened the show by asking coach Kill his thoughts on the "geniuses" (scribes) picking the Gophers to finish last in their division: Kill responded, saying, it's pretty much what you expect when a team is in the building stages. He went on, "I've never, every paid attention (to the prognosticators) . . . usually turns out differently . . . at the end of the day you have to win on the field."

2) Sid, once again, referenced the Texas Tech game, as to the team's improvement: Kill acknowledged the team's play and momentum from the December bowl game; however, he focused on the new season, saying: "This is a different team . . . (our) second recruiting class . . . kids have done a great job with (replacing) the graduation of great seniors . . . starting to get where we want to be . . . started from scratch (when we got here)."

3) (Halsey Hall question) Sid wanted to know, quote, "about the number one punter:" Kill quickly responded by saying he hasn't been able to work out with the players. He also said the kickers and punters have been spending time working on their kicking with their personal coaches this summer. Although no names were given, I believed Kill was referring to Ryan Santoso with the following comments: "He arrived early in May for summer school . . . has been with his kicking instructor . . . strength is his kick-offs."

4) (Another Halsey Hall question) Sid asked about Chris Streveler and Donavahn Jones moving to wide receiver: Kill, once again, said the duo are quarterbacks that will get some reps at wide receiver. He said Streveler has been catching balls during the summer workouts. Donavahn Jones is focusing on the quarterback position, learning the terminology of the quarterbacks.

Kill then said, "Freshmen are going to have to catch up where we're at now . . . get best players on the field." Again, Kill was alluding to, IMO, not wanting to have talented, athletic players standing next to him on the sidelines.

The team's official press conference is scheduled for Tuesday, and fall drills commence on Friday.

5) Mona asked Killjoy's question related to open practices: Kill said the first three practices and the first scrimmage will be open to the public.

6) (defirma question) Dave asked about the 105 squad limit for fall drills and what goes into the selection of the players to practice: Kill quickly responded saying players being redshirted and those injured are major factors as are the positions of need. Kill said linebackers and kickers are examples of positions of need this year; therefore, there'll be more linebackers and kickers in the camp competing. He added, the selection process "is not personal."

The rules say only 105 players can dress for fall drills, which apparently is for cost saving reasons. However, coach Kill said he'd like to see the fall roster be allowed to be increased by at least ten players. (He didn't think the increase would be a big increase in expenses.)

When a roster player is injured in fall drills, he is replaced by a player that was not selected for the opening drills.

7) Dave Mona asked about incoming recruit (JC transfer) De'Vondre Campbell: Kill sounded excited about Campbell's potential and upside; however, he tempered his remarks by saying he needs to get bigger. (Campbell is presently 6-4 or 6-5 and weighs about 215 pounds.) Campbell originally committed to Tennessee, but switched his commitment because of a coaching change. Campbell was a signing day surprise . . . it was thought he was going to Texas or Kansas State. Campbell has three years of eligibility (a prime reason for his selection) . . . "In time he'll be a really good player . . . great personality."

8) Sid asked about position changes that we might see when fall drills begin: Kill mentioned Derrick Wells' move to the corner; however, he said the positions are pretty well set as they were last spring.

Kill did say, however, he was speaking off the top of his head (no other position changes come to mind) and if there is any information related to Sid's query, they'll be answered at Tuesday press conference.

9) (gopherdudepart2 question) Dave Mona asked about offensive linemen Isaac Hayes, Foster Bush, Joe Bjorkland, Ben Lauer, and Johan Pirsig: Kill replied, "it's a talented group of kids . . . most will be here 3-4 years."

a) Jonah Pirsig: They're going to decide this week how they'll handle him in fall drills. They want to get him ready for the season - possibly the second game.

b) Kill lumped Lauer, Hayes, Bjorkland, Bush together in his comments. All four players weigh 300 pounds or better . . . "(They're) bigger and stronger . . . not near where they need to be."

10) Dave Mona asked the last question, which was about running back Cole Banham (RS junior) from Lakeville, Minnesota. Mona said he was impressed with Banham's play in the bowl game and last spring: Kill sounded very positive, upbeat when describing Banham. Kill said Banham's father brought Cole to his office and said he believed he could play at Minnesota. Kill gave him the chance to play, saying, Cole worked hard in bowl preps and last spring . . . "Coachable kid, 190 pounds with speed and quickness . . . you don't count kids out like that." Kill went onto say Banham does good work in practice and he's pleased with his progress.

Kill is looking forward to see Cole Banham in fall drills and what progress he has made.

Go Gophers!!

Sunday is now complete. Thanks DL!!!

GO GOPHERS!!!

DL65 is amazing! I listened to the program today and he captured all the important points and did it using the minimal words possible. The man has a god given talent that is probably being wasted on us but I am not complaining.

Indebted to you, DL. Having to use the WCCO internet app and the two hour time difference is a lot of work for me, especially if coach isn't on time. Thanks for having our collective backs.

Thanks for the recap again DL, much appreciated.

A couple of things stood out to me

1. I don't think it's "expected" to be picked last in your division in your 3rd year on the job, that's really stretching the graces of the "building" phase. Obviously, it's not where you are picked to finish, but where you actually finish.

2. It's unfortunate that more of the 105 man roster space will have to be taken up by kickers this year. If the roster limit for practice does put a squeeze on coaches, then bringing extra kickers to camp obviously hurts. At least extra linebackers can probably help out on the dline, h-back, fullback, etc as needed where as kickers probably can't help with another position group that may be short.

Thanks for the recap again DL, much appreciated.

A couple of things stood out to me

1. I don't think it's "expected" to be picked last in your division in your 3rd year on the job, that's really stretching the graces of the "building" phase. Obviously, it's not where you are picked to finish, but where you actually finish.

2. It's unfortunate that more of the 105 man roster space will have to be taken up by kickers this year. If the roster limit for practice does put a squeeze on coaches, then bringing extra kickers to camp obviously hurts. At least extra linebackers can probably help out on the dline, h-back, fullback, etc as needed where as kickers probably can't help with another position group that may be short.

I understand your concern and thoughts on the number of kickers being among the 105 for fall camp. Nevertheless, given the inconsistencies of the kicking game of recent years (punting and place kicking) and the importance it plays in games (missed PATs, field goals and field position), if the problems are cleared up and the Gophers special teams play can positively impact the upcoming games instead of being adversely affected, it'll be well worth it.

Go Gophers!!

DL65, thanks again for your recaps. You're a regular listener, how long can they keep Sid on the air? I know he gets readers and "numbers", and he's went on for longer then anybody had a right to expect, but it's just tough listening to him struggle.

What's your guess?

I understand your concern and thoughts on the number of kickers being among the 105 for fall camp. Nevertheless, given the inconsistencies of the kicking game of recent years (punting and place kicking) and the importance it plays in games (missed PATs, field goals and field position), if the problems are cleared up and the Gophers special teams play can positively impact the upcoming games instead of being adversely affected, it'll be well worth it.

Go Gophers!!

+1 Exactly - One of things I like about Kill is if there is a problem he focuses on it and solves it whether it grades or any other problem. He has a kicker problem so he recruits three excellent kickers this past year (Justin Juenemann, Ryan Santoso, and Andrew Harte). He then needs to find out what they can do now, not later this fall. Therefore they are not taking up values spaces. This is exactly what I would expect him to do and what he should be doing! Being a football coach is about solving problems and dealing with messy situations. You do what you have to do.

+1 Exactly - One of things I like about Kill is if there is a problem he focuses on it and solves it whether it grades or any other problem. He has a kicker problem so he recruits three excellent kickers this past year (Justin Juenemann, Ryan Santoso, and Andrew Harte). He then needs to find out what they can do now, not later this fall. Therefore they are not taking up values spaces. This is exactly what I would expect him to do and what he should be doing! Being a football coach is about solving problems and dealing with messy situations. You do what you have to do.

+2 Exactly!

Last year in the BIG, Gopher kickers were on the field just short of 20% of the total plays. Kicking is a big part of the game and I am puzzled by the mindset that kickers really don't matter that much.

When an NFL team "wastes" a draft pick on a kicker, many of their fans go bonkers yet many games are won and lost in the kicking game.

Go Gophers!!

"More spots" are a relative term as well. We have "10" spots occupied by kickers as of today, represented by 8 players. Fodness, Hawthorne, and Juenemann are FG kickers. Eldred, Mortell, and Orseske are punters. Santoso and Harte are both.

In 2012, we had 4 kickers and 3 punters at camp.
In 2011, we had 4 kickers and 2 punters.
In 2010, we had 3 and 3
Etc....

In essence, we have only one extra this season, and 2 extra from the two before that.

Also, I think not all 8 of these guys will be at camp. Eric Klein has been working with most, if not all of them this summer. The Gopher Staff knows what they have, and if a guy or two are behind the rest, they may have to wait a year to go to pre-season camp.

105 players is an exceptionally large group of guys. I understand Kill's sentiment that he wants as many guys as possible, but only about 40-50 guys are going to get regular playing time in a season anyway (regardless of injuries). It's a non-issue.

105 players is an exceptionally large group of guys. I understand Kill's sentiment that he wants as many guys as possible, but only about 40-50 guys are going to get regular playing time in a season anyway (regardless of injuries). It's a non-issue.

Totally agree, prof. Yet several must take time to over analyze non-issues.

DL65, thanks again for your recaps. You're a regular listener, how long can they keep Sid on the air? I know he gets readers and "numbers", and he's went on for longer then anybody had a right to expect, but it's just tough listening to him struggle.

What's your guess?

My guess: Sid will be on the air waves as long as he wants to do the show(s) and he can physically do them. (It's hard to watch a player stay a year longer than they should, i.e., Willie Mays and others.) However, I still enjoy Sid's recollections of days gone by. When he goes, those memories and the history of Twin Cities sports will be silenced. It'll be sad day.

Additionally, when Sid ceases to do his reporting/shows, there'll be a great drop off in coverage of Gopher sports. I don't see anyone taking his spot. It's also sad that he's the last of a great reporting cadre. I'm old enough, 66 years, to have experienced and enjoyed some great sports journalists: Dick Cullum, Charles Johnson, Bill McGrane, Halsey Hall, etc. (I know I am leaving some other greats off the list.) (I've also noticed a drop off in the writers at the Des Moines Register from when I arrived in Iowa 40 years ago.)

We should enjoy what we presently have (Sid and Dave Mona) in the coverage of Gopher sports. I don't see it improving, when Sid is no longer with us, given the current market of reporters or lack thereof.

Go Gophers!!

"More spots" are a relative term as well. We have "10" spots occupied by kickers as of today, represented by 8 players. Fodness, Hawthorne, and Juenemann are FG kickers. Eldred, Mortell, and Orseske are punters. Santoso and Harte are both.

In 2012, we had 4 kickers and 3 punters at camp.
In 2011, we had 4 kickers and 2 punters.
In 2010, we had 3 and 3
Etc....

In essence, we have only one extra this season, and 2 extra from the two before that.

Also, I think not all 8 of these guys will be at camp. Eric Klein has been working with most, if not all of them this summer. The Gopher Staff knows what they have, and if a guy or two are behind the rest, they may have to wait a year to go to pre-season camp.

Or may have been to their last camp in the case of Orseske. I really question whether he will do enough to earn another shot. He's been so disappointing in actual games even though he supposedly always did great in practice. Based on that history, how well would he have to do in practice before they even decide to give it a shot in a real game again? Though I'm sure as a scholarship senior, it would be tough to not have him on the roster.

True, but even if it is a big deal, can't they change the people on the roster at any time? If they're a week into camp and one of the punters is obviously not going to be the guy, can't they switch him out for another player? I don't believe there has to be an injury to make that change, does there?

I agree with your basic point but I believe you may be a little short in the number or players getting regular playing time in a season, especially the way Kill substitutes. Also, for whatever reason, I expect you didn't include special team players which is a significant number.

Top Bottom