GopherHole's Sports Huddle Summary: Coach Jerry Kill - 1/26/14

DL65

Reaction score
Coach Jerry Kill’s responses and comments to Sid Hartman and Dave Mona’s queries on today’s Sports Huddle:

1) Sid opened the segment by asking how recruiting is going: Laughing, Kill said, “I’m sitting here in the middle of conversation with a recruit (and parents) . . . It’s going well.”

2) Sid followed asking about recruiting rankings (according to Sid, many have Minnesota last in Big 10 recruiting): Kill quickly responded, “I don’t know anything about that . . . we’ve got guys in the Senior Bowl (referenced NIU’s QB Jordan Lynch – who wasn’t on the recruiting lists) . . . recruiting is not over.” He said he doesn’t put much stock in the recruiting services.

3) Mona followed Kill’s comments up by referencing Eric Murray and Derrick Wells as players that weren’t recruited or ranked high with stars who have had a positive impact on the playing field: Again, Kill said, “I don’t know what It means (stars); not football people doing that.”

He then mentioned Art Briles who is successful at Baylor. Kill said Briles was criticized for hiring his high school coaching staff when he became a Division I coach, “Does it the way they want to.”

He closed the question, saying, “A lot (stars) don’t make it.”

4) Sid asked about early enrollees - QB Dimonic McKinzy and LB Cody Poock: Kill did not mention any names in his comments; however, he sounded excited about the recruits , including two fullbacks from Butler CC (PWOs Miles Thomas and Oharah). McKinzy had been recruited by Iowa and Nebraska (Kill sounded real excited when talking about McKinzy); Cody Poock from Iowa Western CC has three years of eligibility left . . . Kill said he fills a linebacker need and is “big and can run.”

Kill then turned to the fullbacks. Again, he sounded excited when talking about the fullbacks and the importance of the position in their system. He said they’re big and physical. They’re enrolled and working with the team. With the departure of Mike Henry, they fill a recruiting need as well. “(Fullbacks) win a lot of games.” He also said the two PWO fullbacks have impressed their new teammates during the voluntary workouts.

He finished up saying, “Big key for us - must get two receivers.” He talked about the importance getting help at the “edge” and spreading the field. He left no doubt that recruiting receivers is a priority.

5) Sid asked what the players are currently doing: Kill said, “Mitch Leidner has taken the bull by the horns,” and he is leading the team in voluntary workouts. “Everybody is working hard,” Kill added. He, again, used the word “starving” when describing the team’s attitude with the workouts.

6) Sid asked about the schedule for spring drills and the spring game: Kill said the players are currently involved with five weeks of “lifting,” which will be followed by two weeks of practice, and then they’ll take time off for spring break and then return to finish up their allotted time for spring workouts and the spring game. Kill said teams are starting spring drills early so as to allow the players greater time to heal up from injuries sustained during spring drills.

Go Gophers!!

His first year here Kill was never excited when talking about the team. Each year he has gotten more excited. Now I'm getting excited. Sure hope we get to watch some Spring practices.

His first year here Kill was never excited when talking about the team. Each year he has gotten more excited. Now I'm getting excited. Sure hope we get to watch some Spring practices.

Me, too. We must be "zealots".

Thanks as always, DL.

I don't believe a word Coach Kill says. I only go by what Reusse says. :banghead:

He finished up saying, “Big key for us - must get two receivers.” He talked about the importance getting help at the “edge” and spreading the field. He left no doubt that recruiting receivers is a priority.

Looks like Brayden Lenius has us in top three with Miami and Wsh St. He was here Friday.

We have a good shot at Luke Timian. Not highly rated, but a sharp guy. Columbia wants him. Here Friday.

Ronald Nash visited last week. The Iowas have shown interest.

Alex Egurbide (6'6" 200) visits next week.

Melvin Holland Jr. (6'3" 195) was here last week. Tons of offers, only one other visit, to Wake.

Isaiah Gentry (6'4" 185), committed to Kent, was here Friday.

Looks like Brayden Lenius has us in top three with Miami and Wsh St. He was here Friday.

We have a good shot at Luke Timian. Not highly rated, but a sharp guy. Columbia wants him. Here Friday.

Ronald Nash visited last week. The Iowas have shown interest.

Alex Egurbide (6'6" 200) visits next week.

Melvin Holland Jr. (6'3" 195) was here last week. Tons of offers, only one other visit, to Wake.

Isaiah Gentry (6'4" 185), committed to Kent, was here Friday.

Thanks for the list. Luke is a surprise...sure handed kid. Saw highlights of him in this years TX state playoffs.

GM

Coach Jerry Kill’s responses and comments to Sid Hartman and Dave Mona’s queries on today’s Sports Huddle:

He finished up saying, “Big key for us - must get two receivers.” He talked about the importance getting help at the “edge” and spreading the field. He left no doubt that recruiting receivers is a priority...

Go Gophers!!

The WR position being a big priority, we certainly have a slow time getting commitments. Is it because the Gophers offensive scheme is run heavy? Cold weather? I certainly hope this is not the reason potential WR recruits choose to go elsewhere.

What are the chances that MN will have a more balanced offense, still predicated on the run, but not exclusively committed to 60-70% run all the time? Correct me if I am wrong, the Indiana is the one game where we launched an aerial attack and won.

Top Bottom