"Gopheresque" Michigan Pratfall

Nomellini

Reaction score
If someone had described a Big 10 team losing the way Michigan did and then asked me to guess which team committed such an incredible gaffe, I think I would have picked Minnesota. Maybe it's because I have witnessed so many "creative" losses by the Gophers and taken them to heart. I have to admit that it was a pleasure to see this kind of thing happen to a school with such a proud program and with an arrogant and entitled fan base. It was nice to see shock, horror and disbelief registering on the faces of someone else's fans.

It was nice to see shock, horror and disbelief registering on the faces of someone else's fans.

At least they can say that they were one fluke play away from beating an undefeated team. I'd take their shock, horror, and disbelief at the end of good game any day over my feelings of disgust and disillusionment throughout our two blow out losses.

I guess I can understand some people's need for schadenfreude (although it's not doing anything for me) but I can't see how we're in much position to laugh at others.

The Gophers can lose every game for all of eternity and I'll still laugh uncontrollably at what happened to Michigan. What am I supposed to do instead? Watch more film? Work on my blocking? Draw up some plays and send them to Limey?

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

cjbfbp- I wasn't laughing at the Michigan fans. It's just that their privileged fan experience over the past 45 years (upon the arrival of Bo) has given them too few opportunities to learn a little humility. At the 2002 Michigan game, they got up quickly 17-3. A row of Michigan fans took out newspapers and pretended to read, feigning disinterest in the game in an obviously rehearsed show of disrespect. Despite abuse from enraged Gopher fans, they continued, even after Minnesota tied the score. The worst part, was that knew they were in no real danger of losing even when the momentum had turned. Sure enough, the Gophers collapsed in a series of defensive lapses and special teams blunders, justifying their maddening confidence in our ineptitude. That little episode has stayed with me and it made last year's beatdown especially sweet.

What am I supposed to do instead? Watch more film? Work on my blocking? Draw up some plays and send them to Limey?

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

By all means, if you have good plays, send them to Limey. Alternatively, you could pick another team or two as a backup when the Gophers have a lousy season. I've been pulling for Rutgers as of late.

That little episode has stayed with me and it made last year's beatdown especially sweet.

I enjoyed last year's beatdown, too, although I didn't care much for the sight of the punch drunk QB who was left in too long by Hoke. All teams have a$$wipe fans but seeing those teams get their comeuppance doesn't cheer me up too much. I'd rather cheer for some other underdog when my team isn't doing well. I was pleased by Rutgers' 55-52 victory yesterday.

Much the same with Minnesota, the true failure was the offense unable to get a first down. Do that then, or do that against MSU and the clock runs out. Failure of the offense, put the kicker on the field. And when it happened to us, it was a sign of ineptitude. The replays were incessant. Its always on Big 10 network. This is a classic game worthy of replay for the next say, 20 years.

Was he hurt from the tackle or the celebration?

LSJ reported he told the trainer he hurt it when he landed.

So many things had to go just right (for MSU) on the play. ... the low (but catchable) snap, the mishandle, the ball going right into his arms. I was impressed with as he was getting too close to the sideline, think he realized the one Michigan guy might be able to push him out of bounds so he cut it back to the inside, where #39 pretty much gave him the only block he needed.

LSJ reported he told the trainer he hurt it when he landed.

So many things had to go just right (for MSU) on the play. ... the low (but catchable) snap, the mishandle, the ball going right into his arms. I was impressed with as he was getting too close to the sideline, think he realized the one Michigan guy might be able to push him out of bounds so he cut it back to the inside, where #39 pretty much gave him the only block he needed.

He's just lucky he scored. He very realistically could have been tackled in the field of play with no time left.

Even more realistically, he actually he scored and it wasn't due to "luck".

Yes, pretty clear he made the right decision with the caravan he had to the goal line. Had 4-5 teammates surrounding him, and only 1 Michigan defender anywhere near him. The guy that actually tackled him in the end zone (#88) came from out of nowhere.

Fumble or -C-Web's TO

Will this be more infamous than Chris Webber's TO in Michigan lore?

I saw Coach Dantonio say they sent eleven to the line in hope to block it. I also read Coach Khaki Pants had the punt team out there with two gunners. The question with no one back, why didn't Coach Khaki Pants either call time or call out for max protection? Rather than blame the kicker as he did, maybe someone on the staff should answer for the punt formation facing 11 rushers.

Of course if it was Les Miles or in the day Bobby Bowden, they would have had a fake with no one back.

I saw Coach Dantonio say they sent eleven to the line in hope to block it. I also read Coach Khaki Pants had the punt team out there with two gunners. The question with no one back, why didn't Coach Khaki Pants either call time or call out for max protection? Rather than blame the kicker as he did, maybe someone on the staff should answer for the punt formation facing 11 rushers.

Of course if it was Les Miles or in the day Bobby Bowden, they would have had a fake with no one back.

Khaki Pants had 3 guys back there doing the shield formation so it didn't look like that crazy of a punt formation.

But he had two gunners with no one to block, there should have been some call to bring them in tight putting 7 on the line against 11

Top Bottom