Gopher Women's Hockey Invited to White House

Twynntown

Reaction score
The University of Minnesota women's hockey team will cap off its perfect 2012-13 season with an invitation to meet United States President Barack Obama at the White House, Monday, March 10 in Washington, D.C. President Obama will recognize national championship teams in a formal ceremony Monday afternoon on the South Lawn.

Spanning from 2011 to 2013, the Golden Gophers compiled an unprecedented 62-game win streak, while they capped off a historic 41-0-0 record in 2013 with their second-straight national championship. In the 2012-13 perfect season, Minnesota became the first women's Division I team to finish a season unbeaten and only the second Division I college hockey team to do so. The Gophers defeated Boston University, 6-3, for the national championship on March 24, 2013 at Ridder Arena.

Minnesota was led by Amanda Kessel, who tallied 101 points her junior year and was named the 2013 Patty Kazmaier Memorial Award winner, an honor given to the top player in Division I women's hockey. All three finalists for the award, in Kessel, Megan Bozek and Noora Raty, hailed from Minnesota, the first time an institution had swept the category.

Prior to the 2012-13 campaign, Minnesota won the program's fourth national championship in 2011-12 and first since 2005 as it began the back-to-back national championship journey.

The Minnesota travel party will depart Sunday, March 9 from the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport and return Monday evening to prepare for the 2014 NCAA Tournament.

Information courtesy of Michelle Traen - University of Minnesota

Awesome! Congrats to the women, they absolutely deserve it!

Top Bottom