Gopher WBB 2023-2024

Gopher single game tickets on sale today for WBB season ticket holders and Gopher Score members. Sounds like Paige Bueckers and Caitlin Clark sold a lot of tickets today.

I called to get extra IO game tickets and the student rep told me they were selling a lot of extra tickets today.

I called to get extra IO game tickets and the student rep told me they were selling a lot of extra tickets today.

That's great to hear!

Oh, I just realized these tickets are pretty valuable and could have bought some tickets if I called early. I see the UConn game is selling for over $200 each.

This tweet on intensity (and Braun) also happens to show who is at each position on each side of the scrimmage for clues where some may play, (not that future game action will be the same, they could play a few places or different players).

Team Attack
PG Battle
SG Braun
Wing Grocholski
PF Heyer
C Hart

Team Defend
PG Senden
SG Sanders
Wing Madol
PF Dalan
C Zie

Before, Dalan's spot was unclear. Looks here like PF. Does that suggest Holloway may be at SF if she can get her longer range shots to drop?

Looking at ongoing tea leaves, me thinks Holloway may be down the depth chart. She played best at PF in high school but is a bit small for that now. This talk of "she plays bigger than her size" is a prove it statement, she's never played in college to say that. Didn't seem to have a reliable shot further away from the hoop yet for wing. This is only speculation. And players do get better with 4 years still ahead.

Point guard may be the thinnest. Center depth is unknown.

I think this team really wants players who can shoot from a distance at the shooting guard and wing/SF positions.

That keeps Czinano at power forward instead of small forward since she wasn't a distance shooter but she's a decent player. Dalan made 3's in high school (I don't know about now). Madol seems to be #2 at wing except when Sanders plays 3rd guard with 3 guards on the floor. All speculation. Still many unknowns.

Another thing that jumps out is how young the team is.

Last edited:

So I'm thinking that if they play Dalan at power forward, the scheme doesn't change when PF Heyer comes out because Dylan can move around and shoot from the perimeter. That may give Dalan a strategic advantage at earning that #2 PF spot -- the ability to move and shoot from longer distances. Dalan also was known as a high-motor defender, in high school. Maybe, it's early.

Although Heyer is still improving her longer shots, she's legit to shoot from longer distance and move around.

The Coach P system starts with strong defense and perimeter shooting. Then players have some freedom to move around and pass to produce good shots. The system is not a "run play X72" kind of system. It's work the ball for what is the smartest attack.

Perimeter shooting players and strong defenders are going to have a strategic edge. That's a starting point and not rigid. Good players will play but then it means the approach changes when a different player comes in.

And then with center Sophie Hart, she was more of a traditional center. She is unstoppable shooting from close range. Feed her the ball for high-percentage scores -- or at least always have an eye on her as an option when moving the ball around for looks. Unless something has changed, I'm not sure she can run around a half-court a lot or shoot from distance. Not complaining because unstoppable closer is nice to have. We will see. And on defense she has reach and size.

So Sender at PG is short. That's a problem defending and other things, nothing personal, just a reality. She can move the ball but then you probably have a defensive liability there.

Again, this team is really young. After the first line starters, probably 3 freshmen are next up.

Keep in mind that Coach P is famous for using positionless basketball. While she always has at least a couple guards on the floor, and usually at least one Big, she may have four shooting guards and a big. Or 2 point guards and a couple bigger Wings. It depends on what the other team is bringing and doing, and every girl needs to be able to switch and cover / defend every position.

Keep in mind that Coach P is famous for using positionless basketball. While she always has at least a couple guards on the floor, and usually at least one Big, she may have four shooting guards and a big. Or 2 point guards and a couple bigger Wings. It depends on what the other team is bringing and doing, and every girl needs to be able to switch and cover / defend every position.

OK, I'm trying to better understand. I read some articles about the superiority of positionless basketball. But true positionless? Or how far actually? It sounds like, it depends on your opposition and your players.

So I found these:

DePaul women's basketball: What makes its offense elite:

Positionless basketball taking hold in college:​

New CBA deal finally gets rid of positions on All-NBA teams:​

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/spo...ba-teams-shai-gilgeous-alexander/70081622007/

“It’s a positionless game,” Thunder coach Mark Daigneault said.

Here's more speculation based on a video snippet that's not going to be a complete picture.

-Freshman Dalan sinks a 3.

-Czinano doing her thing driving to the basket.

So right there, that's two different ways to attack opponents, doesn't have to be one or the other.

-Center Zie blocks out and grabs the rebound. She does seem to hustle hard and with good awareness.

-Lots of passing happening, an underrated aspect of the game. Actually, last year was inconsistent -- turnovers and sometimes not exactly machinelike swinging it around and back and in.

-Hart near the basket scoring. Close-space quickness moving around.

-And then the usual characters doing their thing, like Sanders. Madol as a freshman seems to make plays but has kinda looked like the right place at the right time. Senden with a drive.

- A HUGE wildcard is Battle. She's in the video a good amount shooting well. She has All-Big Ten talent and yet last year her shot delivery was off a bit. She could boost the team significantly this season.

-And we see Holloway with a knee brace watching so assume the uncertainty there is simply waiting.

Whatever, watch the video and then whatever you think.

Lots of young players and news players, so I'm curious.

Minnesota has not been to the NCAA Tournament since 2018. This new Coach P system can get the Gophers back. Think of it this way:

South Dakota State is a perennial NCAA Tournament team despite playing with regional players other schools skip over. How can that be? They have a coaching system that works.

Now this new Coach P (Dawn Plitzuweit) has a system that seems to do the same thing. She accomplished that at South Dakota (the other South Dakota) herself with regional talent.

This concept of positionless basketball to get the most out of opportunities and player strengths. High-effort defense. Assess game dynamics on the fly to exploit highest chance opportunities.

She uses a lot of performance video analysis to assess performance compared to objectives to close the gap.

She also got West Virginia to the NCAA tournament last season.

At Minnesota she starts with some good talent. And then for the players that are not a Mara Braun, she's shown she can get them to win. What happens when a Mara Braun and a Mallory Heyer on taking a rest during a game? We will see.

It looks like this South Dakota way of winning with regional players is a winner.

OK, I'm trying to better understand. I read some articles about the superiority of positionless basketball. But true positionless? Or how far actually? It sounds like, it depends on your opposition and your players.

So I found these:

DePaul women's basketball: What makes its offense elite:

Positionless basketball taking hold in college:​

New CBA deal finally gets rid of positions on All-NBA teams:​

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/spo...ba-teams-shai-gilgeous-alexander/70081622007/

“It’s a positionless game,” Thunder coach Mark Daigneault said.
Just my opinion but I think this is why the WNBA is struggling. It's not ecstatically pleasing to watch. I also think they need to add at least 5 seconds to the shot clock. Lots of terrible shots chucked up. As for positionless taking hold in college that's not happening to a big degree. I think it's mostly a semi positionless.

Starting at 19:43, 23-24 Gophers WBB preview.

I was at the open practice yesterday. Animata Zie was nowhere in sight. Hope she was just home nursing the flu and not on a plane back to France.
Also they held Holloway out of some of the more full contact drills, but she looked good when she was participating.
I was surprised by Madol's quickness and ball handling.
Hart is going to be very good I think.
GG can shoot the lights out.
Sanders will be fun to watch, very quick, plays hard, vocal leader.
The big three were the big three. Braun is so smooooooth. One of the assistants, VanWinkel (I hope they call him Rip) knocked her down fighting through a pick. After the drill he was profusely apologizing. If he'd hurt her I think he might be looking for a job.
There was a funny moment when the were working on defense and Banham was on the scout team with the men. She just torched them from 3.

Overall I'd say it was a very good, well run practice.

I was also very impressed with Sanders at that practice. She’s smart, quick, and sees the floor. Hart was impressive on her moves to the basket, but needs more quickness getting down the floor for potential fast-break opportunities. They of course have some learning to do, but I love the focus on defense and screening that was happening. I was surprised to see Klick doing one-legged shooting, especially with other players / practice team guys running around her.

Top Bottom