Gopher Shack's plea to the students to attend this Saturday

That was nice. Thanks for posting plg, unfortunately you are (i know you didn't write it, but still posted it) preaching to the choir on the 'hole. Wish we could email that to all of the student ticket holders.

Just wish he knew the difference between its and it's. Of course, I grew up during the era of editors.

Unfortunately pleading with the students to do anything is a futile endeavor. If they want to come they will and if the don't they won't. I moved to a point where I appreciate the ones who show up and, as Coach Brewster would say, "put their heart in it for sixty minutes" and don't worry about the rest.

"I know I have wanted to leave early a couple times this season. But I stayed and I cheered and I had a good time regardless of the outcomes."

I stay for the entire game anyway, but what games did he want to leave early from? Weren't all of the home games this year decided late in the 4th quarter and most were really exciting? Did I have that many beers?

I certainly can't recall one home game this year that I have even considered leaving early. They have all been great games to the finish.

I've lived in this state long enough to know that the student section (and possibly the rest of the stadium too) will be, at most, half full on Saturday.

After attending years and years of gopher games I've come to the conclusion that there are about 25K-35K loyal gopher fans. The rest are mostly event snobs. That's not an excuse or a complaint, that's just the way it is.

I've lived in this state long enough to know that the student section (and possibly the rest of the stadium too) will be, at most, half full on Saturday.

After attending years and years of gopher games I've come to the conclusion that there are about 25K-35K loyal gopher fans. The rest are mostly event snobs. That's not an excuse or a complaint, that's just the way it is.

The majority of the (non-student) stadium has been filled every game, including Illinois. So, if it goes from full to half full in one week, that will be a noteworthy event (even considering the team is coming off a bad loss and playing a DIAA school). The student section is another story. Given the trend, I am predicting an almost complete open second deck as well as most of section 132 to be open... leaving a smaller-than half full student section.

I feel the same way as this Ben guy, but it's just not going to happen for SDSU. Last week was about as nice as the weather can get for November at 11am and it was pretty sad.

Unless you start giving the students free food if they stay til the end of the game, the only way that student section is going to be full is if we are consistently winning. If we were 8-2 right now, we would have a full student section. Or if we were 10-0, you probably couldn't find a ticket if you wanted an extra one. Unfortunately we are 5-5 in a city (and campus) that doesn't get excited for 5-5 teams.

I've said this in other threads...it will take about 4-5 years to see any real improvement. Last season the U couldn't sell 10K student tickets even though students could buy more than one. This season they sold 10K student tickets with each student limited to 1. Did the core base of good student fans grow overnight? No. A new stadium was built and thousands of students said "why not? it looks cool!" and bought seats. There are only 5-6K core fans in the student section. The rest are bandwagoners. And that's not meant as a slam. Its the way it is. Just like there are only 25-30K core fans in the regular season ticket seats with the rest being bandwagoners.

In 4-5 years every student on campus will have only known games @ TCF. That should improve attendance greatly. Our fanbase problems won't be solved overnight.

It's off-topic and probably been debated around here before, but given the Iowa link (and reading it) I have to ask: Do Gopher fans really hate Iowa the most? I mean, I've heard the Iowa sucks chants and stuff, but personally I'd WAY rather beat Sconi. I just kind of feel sorry for the Iowa fans. It's all they got. The way they all pile in their RV's and caravan up here for a football game and go crazy like it's Vegas (screwing in a bathroom for example) is all just a wee bit pitiful.

Which is it: Iowa or Sconi? Beating the Badgers is priority one for me...

It's off-topic and probably been debated around here before, but given the Iowa link (and reading it) I have to ask: Do Gopher fans really hate Iowa the most? I mean, I've heard the Iowa sucks chants and stuff, but personally I'd WAY rather beat Sconi. I just kind of feel sorry for the Iowa fans. It's all they got. The way they all pile in their RV's and caravan up here for a football game and go crazy like it's Vegas (screwing in a bathroom for example) is all just a wee bit pitiful.

Which is it: Iowa or Sconi? Beating the Badgers is priority one for me...

I'm with you. I hate sconie much more. I just think Iowa fans need someone to hate. It's like they are obsessed with hating Minnesota. Iowa fans even hate themselves. I remember being at a game the last time the Gophers beat Iowa, and two Hawkeyes fans were throwing fists at each other. I think it was over a girl, which wouldn't surprise me after what happened in the bathroom last year.

I'm with you. I hate sconie much more. I just think Iowa fans need someone to hate. It's like they are obsessed with hating Minnesota. Iowa fans even hate themselves. I remember being at a game the last time the Gophers beat Iowa, and two Hawkeyes fans were throwing fists at each other. I think it was over a girl, which wouldn't surprise me after what happened in the bathroom last year.

I agree with that. Even though I live among them, and would love to beat Iowa every year, the Wisconsin game is much more important to me and it's not even close.

It's definitely a different atmosphere around here during college football season, especially with their success this year. It's all they got, very similar to Nebraska. Sure people follow the Vikings, Bears, Packers, Cubs, and Cardinals down here but Iowa football is their's. Until this week after they lost, you couldn't get away from it. Every meeting I would go to, the Hawkeyes would be brought up.

For the most part, the "trash talking" I receive and dish out is in good fun, but there are some people that take it way too serious. I texted one of my friends after Iowa lost asking what happened because I seriously didn't get to see much of the game and he just responded with profanities directed at me. I doubt I will hear from him anytime soon, unless they beat Ohio State this weekend.

Top Bottom