Gopher Recruiting Moves up 21 Spots - The Athletic

Iceland12

Reaction score
At least that's what the tease they sent me said.

3. A week ago, Rutgers shot up the national rankings with a flurry of commitments — 10, to be exact. This past week, another Big Ten program did the same. Minnesota moved up 21 spots — from 40th to 19th — after picking up 11 commitments over four days.

P.J. Fleck has a good track record of developing receivers so it should be no surprise the headliner of this recent wave was four-star wideout and Florida native Bradley Martino, who was committed to Toledo but recently reopened his commitment. Martino is the second blue-chip prospect in the Golden Gophers’ class.

Fleck’s highest-ranked class during his time at Minnesota is No. 36, in the 2024 cycle. We’ll see if he can improve upon that with the 2025 class

This is based on volume, not average rating, correct?
A combination, based on my understanding... For example, 20 3-stars is a better rating than 15 3-stars, but 5 4-stars and 15 3-stars beats beats 20 3-stars. So in our case it's probably more quantity over quality at this point.

Hopefully didn't come off as me ripping Martino. It was more of a thought Toledo had a 4 star WR in their class at all.
Toledo is consistently one of the best MAC programs currently so I can see someone of Martino's level being interested. He's fringe 4* so it's not like the elite programs are chasing after him. Good athlete it looks like, but will need to develop physically to be a contributor at the P4 level.

2 more weeks they'll be #1. Not too difficult.

P.J. Fleck has a good track record of developing receivers so it should be,,,
I'm a big supporter of Coach Fleck and his program as anyone but I just don't have this opinion myself.

Outside of TJ and Bateman, yes there are standouts with potential that just has not been fully realized to date. Maybe this is the year with the new gunslinger...

I'm a big supporter of Coach Fleck and his program as anyone but I just don't have this opinion myself.

Outside of TJ and Bateman, yes there are standouts with potential that just has not been fully realized to date. Maybe this is the year with the new gunslinger...
Crab probably would have been a great one without the injuries.

At least that's what the tease they sent me said.

3. A week ago, Rutgers shot up the national rankings with a flurry of commitments — 10, to be exact. This past week, another Big Ten program did the same. Minnesota moved up 21 spots — from 40th to 19th — after picking up 11 commitments over four days.

P.J. Fleck has a good track record of developing receivers so it should be no surprise the headliner of this recent wave was four-star wideout and Florida native Bradley Martino, who was committed to Toledo but recently reopened his commitment. Martino is the second blue-chip prospect in the Golden Gophers’ class.

Fleck’s highest-ranked class during his time at Minnesota is No. 36, in the 2024 cycle. We’ll see if he can improve upon that with the 2025 class

It's that time of year where our recruiting classes are in the top 25 based on volume of 3 stars before settling in the 30s or 40s, and towards the back of the Big 16, when the other schools start stacking their 4 and 5 stars up.

If you go by AVG, Gophs are in the high 30s right now. Rutgers is in the mid 20s.

A combination, based on my understanding... For example, 20 3-stars is a better rating than 15 3-stars, but 5 4-stars and 15 3-stars beats beats 20 3-stars. So in our case it's probably more quantity over quality at this point.

It basically always is at this point in the recruiting cycle. But I think Fleck and Co. have the right idea. Sign the guys who you think can play and have upside quickly and then turn focus to bigger names that you have to compete for to fill out the class.

Corey Davis also. His teams have developed two 1st round WRs at two schools that don't have much of a history of doing so. Wouldn't call MN WR U or anything but having a history of 1st rounders would probably have a lot of influence on recruits and transfer.

It's that time of year where our recruiting classes are in the top 25 based on volume of 3 stars before settling in the 30s or 40s, and towards the back of the Big 16, when the other schools start stacking their 4 and 5 stars up.

Minnesota has had a lot of classes ranked in the Top 25 at this time in years past? That's pretty surprising.

Neither did I...

Minnesota has had a lot of classes ranked in the Top 25 at this time in years past? That's pretty surprising.
Look no further than last year. It's an annual event.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240614_063008_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240614_063008_Chrome.jpg
    664.3 KB · Views: 10

Look no further than last year. It's an annual event.

Figured you'd do that. You said "It's that time of year where our recruiting classes are in the top 25"

If it happened once that's not a yearly occurrence. Though maybe you're right. Maybe Fleck's recruiting classes are trending up.

Figured you'd do that. You said "It's that time of year where our recruiting classes are in the top 25"

If it happened once that's not a yearly occurrence. Though maybe you're right. Maybe Fleck's recruiting classes are trending up.
This has been pretty common with Fleck. He likes to take commitments early, with more guys committed than other teams we shoot up the ranks and slowly move down as other teams fill up. Articles that don’t understand the nuance of recruiting ratings come out hyping the classes every time, not realizing that they are ranked due to quantity not necessarily quality.

It basically always is at this point in the recruiting cycle. But I think Fleck and Co. have the right idea. Sign the guys who you think can play and have upside quickly and then turn focus to bigger names that you have to compete for to fill out the class.
My perception is he does the opposite.

This has been pretty common with Fleck. He likes to take commitments early, with more guys committed than other teams we shoot up the ranks and slowly move down as other teams fill up. Articles that don’t understand the nuance of recruiting ratings come out hyping the classes every time, not realizing that they are ranked due to quantity not necessarily quality.

Know that it happened in 2023. Might have happened before but swede2 was saying that the Gophers being ranked in the Top 25 "is an annual event". If you have examples where this has happened multiple times, not just last year, go ahead and post them. My memory says that yes, Fleck does what you say, but even with that, he hasn't had a lot of classes that have been in the Top 25 before they start to fall.

You're right. I should waste more time proving you wrong.

Know that it happened in 2023. Might have happened before but swede2 was saying that the Gophers being ranked in the Top 25 "is an annual event". If you have examples where this has happened multiple times, not just last year, go ahead and post them. My memory says that yes, Fleck does what you say, but even with that, he hasn't had a lot of classes that have been in the Top 25 before they start to fall.

Actually pretty easy to prove. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mi...ankings-after-five-commitments-on-sunday/amp/

Better double up on your Aricept tonight.

Top Bottom