Gopher Graduation Rates Leap Forward

Reaction score
Link to story on Gophersports.com: http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=8400&ATCLID=204836073

From the article: "The latest graduation rate figures released by the NCAA and the academic strides made by our student-athletes represent a significant achievement for Gopher Athletics," Director of Athletics Joel Maturi said. "We place a high priority on academic success and degree completion and it's great to see positive results from that commitment. Our student-athletes, coaches, faculty and McNamara Academic Staff should be commended for the progress that has been made. Continued improvement remains our goal; however I could not be more pleased with the current graduation rate trends of this department."

The Federal Graduation Rate for Gopher student-athletes showed even greater improvement. Minnesota was one of just three Big Ten athletics departments to score better than 70 percent as the fed rate for Gopher student-athletes surged to 71 percent.

I wonder if that hit-man and all-around piece of crap sports editor Dennis Brackin over at the Mpls Star Tribune will be publishing a series of stories on this?! Perhaps Fatrick Reusse? J-Bag Jim Souhan? Probably not, considering it is positive news about Golden Gophers athletics. Brackin and his henchmen only like to publish the overly speculative and negative variety of story when it comes to the U of M. They pass on the large number of positive stories WHICH are out there.

Anyways, just wanted to say nice work to the Gophers athletes! Way to work hard both on the field of play as well as in the classroom. :)

I'm sure ruesse will be all over it like flies on ruesse, except he'll find the way to spin it negative on the football program. I'm sure his lackey Doogie is digging the dirt right now.

If you look at the full report, however, you will see that a football, men's basketball or men's hockey players -- the only three sports at the school that make money -- have only about a 50 percent chance of graduating.

Is that good enough? All three are significantly below national averages for their sports.

It's great work by the non-revenue athletes. That is for sure.

Link to Minnesota report here: http://web1.ncaa.org/app_data/nH8egsr2009/428.pdf

If you look at the full report, however, you will see that a football, men's basketball or men's hockey players -- the only three sports at the school that make money -- have only about a 50 percent chance of graduating.

Is that good enough? All three are significantly below national averages for their sports.

Link to Minnesota report here: http://web1.ncaa.org/app_data/nH8egsr2009/428.pdf

Well, football has improved every year since 2005 (41). http://www.thedailygopher.com/2009/11/18/1033577/u-of-minns-grad-rates-are-improving

Football has a better rate then hockey or golf? Plug in stereotype review here....

Gophers graduation rate scores for student-athletes entering school from 1999-2002:

Sport NCAA - Fed rate

Men's basketball 44 - 25

Men's golf 50 - 43

Men's hockey 52 - 38

Football 54 - 46

Wrestling 65 - 61

Men's gymnastics 73 - 62

Women's soccer 75 - 47

Women's basketball 77 - 60

Men's swimming 78 - 74

Women's gymnastics 80 - 80

Men's tennis 83 - 60

Women's hockey 83 - 71

Baseball 85 - 83

Women's swimming 88 - 79

Rowing 91 - 87

Men's CC/track 92 - 89

Women's CC/track 94 - 60

Women's golf 100 - 60

Volleyball 100 - 83

Women's tennis 100 - 86

Softball 100 - 87

Source: University of Minnesota

Anonymous....Link?? looks like football is above the national average.

Martin G.

I'm sure we'll get all the Brewster bashers in this thread to congratulate him on his work in improving the football team's academics.

Here are the Division I football numbers. The first number is GSR second is federal grad rate.

Football(FBS) 67 55
Football(FCS) 64 54

Gophers are 54 and 46.

All D1 numbers are here: http://web1.ncaa.org/app_data/nH8egsrAggr2009/1_0.pdf

I don't dispute that the Gophers numbers are improving. But as was reported in the Star Trib this morning, the Gophers are last in the Big Ten for football and tied for 10th (or last depending on perspective) in men's hoops. That, to me, isn't good enough.

The men's hockey numbers are also absolutely brutal. The Gophers are 30 points below the national average and those students are not from disadvantaged backgrounds or products of inner city/underfunded high schools.

The men's hockey numbers are also absolutely brutal. The Gophers are 30 points below the national average and those students are not from disadvantaged backgrounds or products of inner city/underfunded high schools.

Most of them do, however, find themselves in some level of professional hockey, and usually the week after a season is over.

I'd like to see most of them complete their degrees as much as anybody, but there's a different reason why the hockey team's numbers are down.

FireDaveLee,

I realize that the Gophers have a number of players who go on to play pro hockey. But these athletes have six years to finish their degrees and count as graduating.

Shouldn't these players, for the sake of argument, be in position where they only need a handful of classes at the most once they are done playing to graduate?

I don't dispute that the Gophers numbers are improving. But as was reported in the Star Trib this morning, the Gophers are last in the Big Ten for football......That, to me, isn't good enough.

pigskinp.gif

I don't dispute that the Gophers numbers are improving. But as was reported in the Star Trib this morning, the Gophers are last in the Big Ten for football and tied for 10th (or last depending on perspective) in men's hoops. That, to me, isn't good enough.

to you, what is good enough? how much does the program have to improve year in and year out to be acceptable? i think that you are applying impossible expectations so that you can show your dismay with the program. an upward trend is good, when it becomes a downward trend, then you can wring your hands.

We should not be last.

what would you do as a coach to move the team from last to next to last?

amd seeing as we have been getting better recently i can only assume that we became last during the tenure of a different coach.

We need students / not footabll plyers

We need to recruit a different type of player - one who cares about life after football. Not plyers who get into fights and hit the police blog.

We need to recruit a different type of player - one who cares about life after football. Not plyers who get into fights and hit the police blog.

anyone else getting a whiff of loon with this guy? he didn't mention "speed", but perhaps his new code word is "plyers who get in fights and hit the police blog"

he certainly posts in a confident manner for someone who joined two two weeks ago

anyone else getting a whiff of loon with this guy? he didn't mention "speed", but perhaps his new code word is "plyers who get in fights and hit the police blog"

he certainly posts in a confident manner for someone who joined two two weeks ago

It's funny you say that - I was just thinking wren instead of Loon. Others have posited Pantherhawk - though it doesn't seem like his writing style.

Either way, he had me fooled into thinking he was a legitimate (hugely pessimistic) Gopher fan. But now that he's made himself way too obvious, I'm breezing right past each of his posts and pretending they aren't there.

pretty sure that "from iowa with love" was pantherhawk. especially since he seems to have been banned.

i don't have much experience with wren, but from when i used to read kent's blog, he usually posts extremely long posts. the loon/TheOldCynic would constantly complain about the "type" of players that were being recruited.

although, i think that Loon was a student at the U in the late sixties, and--unless he has gotten smarter--i am not sure how 1956 fits into that.

That thing isn't a Gopher fan, especially one who would be that old. Not knowing 84-13 proves it.

FireDaveLee,

I realize that the Gophers have a number of players who go on to play pro hockey. But these athletes have six years to finish their degrees and count as graduating.

Shouldn't these players, for the sake of argument, be in position where they only need a handful of classes at the most once they are done playing to graduate?

I would like to see the number improve as well. And it would be nice to see them come back & finish their degree.

I guess all I'm saying is that's a number & sport I'm not too worried about.

What would I like to see?

I think improvement is good and I also acknowledge that improvement in this area takes time. That said, I don't think it is unreasonable for the University of Minnesota be able to graduate football and men's basketball athletes at least at the national D1 average in those sports (FBS for football). I don't think that, as an alum, that is too much to ask.

Undergraduate education at the U has improved greatly over recent years, the school is tougher and tougher to get into and there is much more of an emphasis placed on timely graduation. Those items should help the graduation rate continue to improve.

Top Bottom