Gopher Current Running Backs Compared

I like both the young guys. Irving has quicks, nice jump cuts, quick acceleration. Thomas is clearly bigger, stronger, good vision, decent speed, probably better north south and seems to have that knack for breaking tackles. Right now if I had to pick one of those two I’d pick Thomas but can’t really go wrong. We’ll learn more as time goes on.

Williams has improved, clearly has decent speed as well. He seems to do everything pretty well. Glad to see him break out a little bit.

Pretty small sample size on all, but feel great considering the loss of the two others.

Last edited:

Fleck will not have an inept pass offense. He might abandon the passing game, but it’s way more of a threat when he chooses to use it compared to Kill teams.
Very true, but kind of odd that Fleck, a college and NFL receiver, would be so reluctant to pass at times.

For me, that's not really vision. I think it's him just occasionally not hitting the hole (no pun) hard. I actually think Irving might have the best vision. I actually think his vision, at times, can cause him to overthink a running play.

With Williams, I've seen numerous plays where he will run into the backs of his lineman. He's actually gotten better at this.
I think it was bryce on the 4th and short disaster vs GSU that had a big hole to his left, but just ran right into his lineman

I think it was bryce on the 4th and short disaster vs GSU that had a big hole to his left, but just ran right into his lineman
Yep, that run could certainly be bouncing around in my subconscious and shaping my perception as well. I honestly, think he's improved so much in this aspect, so I think I'm likely dinging him for runs he made as a true FR (who probably shouldn't have seen the field for another 2-3 years).

I think Ky Thomas has a little more power than Bucko.

Bucko has the lateral quickness.

I'd refer to Thomas as Thunder.
Bucko would be Lightning!
This is a good post.

I really think Bucko is going to be a great one for us!

Top Bottom