Gopher coaches visit Nick Fuller (class of 2013)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per this tweet from Mark Miller:

"Coaches from Minnesota and Dayton stopped by Sun Prairie today to watch Nick Fuller in an open-gym workout session."

Offer list includes Butler, Marquette, Northern Iowa, Creighton, etc.

Go Gophers!!

Nice, right in my backyard. Tubby has been all about the Wisconsin kids as of late.

From what I have seen, Fuller is a solid player, but I am not convinced yet that he's good enough for the Big 10. The UW staff has seen plenty of him in AAU and HS play, and they have not offered yet. If UW does offer, I'd expect the Badgers to be a heavy favorite, but I don't know if that will happen. UW will likely take a SF in the 2013 class, and right now it appears the priority is Semi Ojeleye from Kansas. If they are not able to land him, Fuller could be one of the next guys they take a hard look at. The staff certainly spent a good deal of time watching Nick in July, as AAU teammate Zak Showalter (2012 guard) will walk on at UW, and another AAU teammate (2013 big Luke Fischer) may get an offer down the road. Fuller reminds me a bit of former Badger Tim Jarmusz with his combination of height/length, ball-handling and passing, but Fuller is probably more explosive going to the bucket. Not sure someone could be less explosive than Jarmusz. :cool02:

If there going to recruit mid level type guys they could just as well recruit Minnesota kids.It was reported a few weeks ago they had offered a kid from Milwuakee no other so called Big Ten or big time school had even offered.Don't get there recruiting at all.The Ellerson kid is an ok get.But not the cornerstone of a recruiting class.Are we going to scramble again in the spring and get a Maverik ,Chip or an Ingram again?

I just noticed the Nolan kid from MIlwuakee who is a big time recruit has his list down to Clemson and Oregon.Another swing and a miss for the Gophers.Koenig we never had a chance at like Harrison Barnes.Thomas a good guard from Onalaska seems to be slipping away as well.We don't seem very well organized recruiting wise.

I just noticed the Nolan kid from MIlwuakee who is a big time recruit has his list down to Clemson and Oregon.Another swing and a miss for the Gophers.Koenig we never had a chance at like Harrison Barnes.Thomas a good guard from Onalaska seems to be slipping away as well.We don't seem very well organized recruiting wise.

Tubby has completely lost all leverage he used to have with recruits, and we have crappy facilities. It's not that surprising.

Blackhammer- The Gophers got in very, very late on Nolan. He'd already made a final five before the Gophers stepped in. I completely agree with the sentiment that Tubby should absolutely be expected to win recruiting battles with the likes of Clemson and Oregon though. Also, this Fuller kid has not been offered by the staff, they look at a lot of guys from Wisconsin/Iowa/Minnesota that they never end up offering. If UWOle is accurate in his scouting report, I would doubt the Gophers would offer him as he doesn't fit their profile on several levels.

Some on the board have said the Gopher staff is lazy in recruiting while others have said they are unorganized. Something is clearly not working and we should expect more from Tubby in this area. To use as many scholarships as we have on lightly regarded Spring recruits is not a good sign. I was bringing up concerns about the 2012 class more than 6th months ago when more than half of the Big Ten had commitments (many multiple commitments) and the Gophers didn't even have any defined public targets. It does seem like the staff is doing a better job with the 2013 class if that is any consolation.

One thing to remember is that we currently only have one open scholarship for 2012. Yes, we'll probably have another open up but that isn't 100% certain. It's not like we have 3 or 4 openings and we are going to be scrambling like we were with last year's class.

I just noticed the Nolan kid from MIlwuakee who is a big time recruit has his list down to Clemson and Oregon.

Nolan could wind up being a 2013 vs. 2012... if he turns out to be a 2013, wouldn't completely rule him out just yet.

I believe Illinois has offered, as well.

From what I've been told, Butler is strong with him. I was surprised when Nolan Berry became Butler's first in 2013, I figured it would be Nick Fuller.

Illinois has not offered Fuller. They have spent some time watching him, but have not offered yet.

I like the Berry pickup for Butler. I was impressed with what I saw from him this summer. Very versatile, high motor big guy. Should be a good one for you guys.

Tubby has been all about the Wisconsin kids as of late.

From Mark Miller again:

"Minnesota coach Tubby Smith scheduled to stop by Whitefish Bay Dominican today to check out Duane Wilson (2013) and Diamond Stone (2015)."

Wilson is a solid PG, who Miller has #3 among 2013 prospects in Wisconsin (behind Bronson Koenig and Matt Thomas). Wilson has some other high major offers, but I don't recall who exactly. I believe Marquette and Missouri are on the list. Stone is the top ranked 2015 prospect in Wisconsin. He's in the 6'8" and 225 range as an incoming freshman. He was reportedly very impressive at UW's advanced camp this past June.

Top Bottom