Goodness Gracious. The annual off-season love for Nebraska and doubt in P.J. Fleck continues to impress.

Go Gophers!!
Many of these writers are old enough to remember the Huskers’ salad days and haven’t come to gripes with the fact it’s much more likely for them to remain in their current bucket than to be relevant again, unless they get a transformational coach and Ruhle, likely ain’t it. Hasn’t happened in Miami and isn’t likely to happen in Lincoln

Many of these writers are old enough to remember the Huskers’ salad days and haven’t come to gripes with the fact it’s much more likely for them to remain in their current bucket than to be relevant again, unless they get a transformational coach and Ruhle, likely ain’t it. Hasn’t happened in Miami and isn’t likely to happen in Lincoln
What's the opposite of "recency bias"? "old fart bias"? "historical distortion bias"? "undergarment torsion bias"? Because that the vibe which this tweet gives: old folks with their undies in a bunch.

Nebraska is starting a True Freshman QB, right?
Also, ouch to Purdue if 4.5 is too high.

Tough to fault the pundits for giving Nebraska the benefit of the doubt after the Scott Frost era showed us how resilient of a dynasty powerhouse Nebraska is.

On one hand they didn’t lose a single all conference performer from last year. On the other hand they didn’t have any all conference performers. Not one player even made third team on either the coaches’ or media’s selections. The media continues to predict a breakout season despite the lack of proven talent.

I think the NEB optimism is based on only two things. First, I think they have already anointed fresh 5-Star QB Dylan Raiola as the official savior of NEB football. As we all know you can't place realistic expectations and NEB football in the same sentence. For example, we all remember Scott Frost was going to win the B1G West in year one. Second, as I heard dozens of times last year that we shouldn't expect much in Year 1 as Matt Rhule teams always make their big jump in Year 2. So, of course if Rhule made a big jump at Temple & Baylor in year 2 then of course it's just as easy to do that in the B1G, right?

Previous Matt Rhule coached teams Baylor and Temple showed great improvement in his second and third year.

I hope the team doesn't underestimate Nebraska like this board does.

Last edited:

Previous Matt Rhule coached teams Baylor and Temple showed great improvement in his second and third year.

To question if Ruhle is a good CF head coach is either naive or denial. Yet, to say a Fleck Gopher team at 4.5 is too high is either naive or denial. Let me know when Vegas puts the Gophers at 4.5 and I'm moving my 401(k).

well he does pin their upsurge on transfer talent at wideout and receiver. I’m unsure what is different about those positions but maybe Nebraska has invented a new formation which will be the key to their success

Not really an issue this year anyway...

Nebraska was better on defense last year but lost some guys. Always hard to predict improvement from there but, maybe. On offense they are still putting Benhart out there AFAIK, a true freshman at QB. Maybe they’ll be a lot better. Their OC doesn’t look to have a stellar track record.

Maybe, maybe, maybe. To be fair I’m saying the same about the Gophers. But predicting 8 wins out of Nebraska is maybe optimistic. That’s why we watch the games.

I'm not sure it's underestimating the Cornhuskers as much as it's finding it foolish for someone to list an O/U of 7.5 as "too low" for a team that hasn't even surpassed 6 wins since 2016. Yes, different coaches, new talent, etc. but we've said that countless times before. Prove you can win and then NEXT YEAR this all makes sense.

We don't play Nebraska this year, either.

Last edited:

I feel bad for Nebraska, because unlike Wisconsin and Iowa, I hate them for the unearned love the media constantly gives them and not for who they are from the inside out

Throw Wisconsin and Iowa in with Nebraska. The past few years have shown there isn’t much difference between west teams.

Nebraska has a pretty easy early schedule (compared to most B1G teams). Could actually open 7-0, assuming it will kick Colorado’s ass in game 2. {Could open 7-0 and finish 7-5; later part of schedule has some good teams.}

Nebraska hasn't had a winning season since 2016.

While I think it's silly to say that a prediction of 7.5 wins is too low for Nebraska, I don't expect Nebraska to be bad forever. They just care too much about the sport for that.

To be fair the vast majority of coaches promoted from schools like Temple showed great improvement in year 1,2, or 3. Fleck did the same exact thing but didn’t move on from his second school, yet Rhule is widely considered the superior coach it seems. People seem convinced that Rhule can’t fail.

To be fair the vast majority of coaches promoted from schools like Temple showed great improvement in year 1,2, or 3. Fleck did the same exact thing but didn’t move on from his second school, yet Rhule is widely considered the superior coach it seems. People seem convinced that Rhule can’t fail.
He definitely failed in the NFL. That is a fact.

I’m looking forward to one more chance for our D to embarrass Benhart. Never has a dad crawled back into his hole quicker.

Top Bottom