Good U stuff from Shooter

Gophs

Reaction score
Charley Walters writes a little about the Gophers in the Pioneer Press.

What he says about Weber

The Vikings' quarterback question remains unanswered, but for the Gophers, there is no question.
"Adam Weber is the starter, without question," coach Tim Brewster said.
Weber has impressed Brewster in offseason workouts.
"He has been outstanding; he has tremendous leadership," Brewster said.
The Gophers begin workouts on Monday. The top running back question, though, still needs to be answered.
"There is competition there between (Duane) Bennett, (DeLeon) Eskridge and (Kevin) Whaley," Brewster said. "Those are the three guys in the mix for that job."

What he says about TCF Bank Stadium and Siebert Field

On some luxury suite seats inside the Gophers' new TCF Bank Stadium are inscribed the words to "Minnesota Rouser."
Now that the University of Minnesota has completed its requirement of privately raising $86 million for its TCF Bank Stadium, it's looking for an elite gift to begin a $15 million private fundraising drive to replace the Gophers' Siebert Field for baseball.
A best-case scenario would be to break ground next June. Plans are for construction in two phases. The first would be the playing surface, which would be lowered from its current site. The second phase would include indoor batting cages and a training room.

I'd love to see the baseball team get an upgrade. If anything, Anderson deserves it based on his success and what he's done for the program.

Does this mean that the new baseball stadium will be re-built at the same location as the current Siebert Field? For some reason I always thought it was going to be built across the streets from Mariucci and TCF Stadium...maybe on that gravel lot area directly N/NE of Mariucci. Was that just my wishful thinking? That would really, really complete the great sports facilities area that has developed in Stadium Village.

No matter where it goes, I just hope they get a nice baseball stadium built soon!

From what I've heard, the new Siebert will be built on top of the old field. There was talk about flipping the direction of the field to make joining entrances with the softball field. Don't know if that fell through though.

With the addition of a baseball stadium and a future basketball practice facility (that I hope is tied to Williams so it can provide additional amenities like restrooms, concessions and a wider concourse on top of it providing practice and lounge areas for the basketball teams) I believe the U of M may have the best facilities in the Big Ten.

The top running back question, though, still needs to be answered. "There is competition there between (Duane) Bennett, (DeLeon) Eskridge and (Kevin) Whaley," Brewster said. "Those are the three guys in the mix for that job."

Lord have mercy.

Top Bottom