Good Policing

STPGopher

Reaction score
Perhaps LeBron should have tweeted about your link.
Are you noticing something?
giphy.gif

Section2

Reaction score
Though you didn't say it, you are correct in that this is a human rights issue. What is missed here is that if we can effectively 're-imagine' policing, all of humanity (Within the scope of the reforms) will benefit.
It would actually have a chance if that’s how it was framed. The really loud voices don’t actually care about any of that. This is a political movement with political goals.

STPGopher

Reaction score
It would actually have a chance if that’s how it was framed. The really loud voices don’t actually care about any of that. This is a political movement with political goals.
Yes it was my error for not putting on parameters on it. The main story in the OP was that a good officer was finally acknowledged for doing the right thing. The rest was and is noise. Hence the I'm not really interested in discussing Lebron, grown rich guy, James. Whether I like it or not he and Mr. Brett Favre are entitled to their opinion. They don't really move the needle much.

If even the Chauvin trail wasn't truly about race. If the only thing that comes out of this is the opportunity for officers to intervene, then it won't be a total waste. The incident in California where the lady was repeatedly punched in the face comes to mind.

Last edited:

Spoofin

Reaction score
Any thoughts on the OP? Of course not.
That's a pretty interesting objection considering I am only responding to what YOU posted about LBJ in this thread. I guess when you need to change the subject start with TRUMP then go with this?

From the Parkinglot

Reaction score

What the hell is wrong with people in today’s society. I hope each one of them is charged with some sort of assault and fired from their jobs. If this is how they treat a 74 year old women with dementia, I don’t wanna see what happens when they encounter a perceived real threat.

Go4Broke

Reaction score
Good Policing has less to do with good training and far more to do with hiring good people to protect and serve the community. Local police departments in Minnesota and around America are failing miserably with their police hiring practices.

Last edited:

Donovan

Reaction score
This critique from Wiley is warranted, the cutting of the video makes me skeptical as to what was left out. I will find a full version of this video.
As others pointed out the first one edited out Acho’s contribution. I watched the unedited version. It was also good.

Donovan

Reaction score
Agreed, the unedited version is actually a good discussion. Somewhat unexpected for a sports network show.
Speak for Yourself on FS1 was in my regular rotation because it was really good. I had quit watching when Jason Whitlock left for Outkick. I just added it back on my DVR to revisit.

diehard

Reaction score
Just defund the police. Let parents and the gangs handle the problems. Throw in a social worker for good measure. You'll never have good policing in a state as racist as Minnesota.

howeda7

Reaction score

Wally

Reaction score

Good policing?

One bad cop?
Ooops he got high fives and proudly boasted of his exploits to other cops.

🤮🤮🤮

Police video shows officers joking about violent arrest of Colorado woman, 73​

Karen Garner, who has dementia, reportedly fractured arm during arrest outside Walmart in Loveland last year

Austin Hopp, the arresting officer who bent Garner’s arm behind her back as she bent over a patrol car, can be heard to tell fellow officers: “Ready for the pop?”

Two officers are seen to exchange a fist bump. As another joins them, they are heard to say the arrest “went great”. Earlier in the video, Hopp says Garner was “flexible”.

“We crushed it,” one of the officers says, in the nearly hour-long footage.

Near the end of the footage, Hopp says Garner is the first person on whom he has used a hobble restraint.

“I was super excited,” he says. “I was like, ‘All right, let’s wrestle, girl. Let’s wreck it!’ I got her on the ground and all that stuff. I got her cuffed up … threw her on the ground a couple of times.”

He adds: “I can’t believe I threw a 73-year-old on the ground.”

Costa Rican Gopher

Mind of a Scientist
Reaction score

Good policing?

One bad cop?

🤮🤮🤮

Karen Garner, who has dementia, reportedly fractured arm during arrest outside Walmart in Loveland last year

Austin Hopp, the arresting officer who bent Garner’s arm behind her back as she bent over a patrol car, can be heard to tell fellow officers: “Ready for the pop?”

Two officers are seen to exchange a fist bump. As another joins them, they are heard to say the arrest “went great”. Earlier in the video, Hopp says Garner was “flexible”.

Near the end of the footage, Hopp says Garner is the first person on whom he has used a hobble restraint.

“I was super excited,” he says. “I was like, ‘All right, let’s wrestle, girl. Let’s wreck it!’ I got her on the ground and all that stuff. I got her cuffed up … threw her on the ground a couple of times.”

Why are you so intent in trying to frame all police officers as racists & monsters? What is your agenda? It's not to help Black people. They're overwhelmingly happy with policing & want more of it, not less.

BarnBurner

Reaction score
Why are you so intent in trying to frame all police officers as racists & monsters? What is your agenda? It's not to help Black people. They're overwhelmingly happy with policing & want more of it, not less.
ess tee p is in the minority.

Costa Rican Gopher

Mind of a Scientist
Reaction score
Please point to where I said all police.

However policing attracts those types and its a major problem.
No, it's not a "major problem". If it was, It would be plainly obvious for all to see, and you wouldn't have to push your anti-cop agenda, incessantly.

Wally

Reaction score
I have witnessed cops doing bad things and being assholes. Am I going to complain to someone? No, because I am scared of the police and how would me saying something help me while it has the potential to be catestrophic for me.

Until police start policing themselves I will have a disdain for cops that's me.

STPGopher

Reaction score
Hold on a moment. Let me sit down before I read this post. There is an attempt to actually talk about policing by you?
source.gif
Yes snarkyness is intentional.

Now onto the link. There is always hope in sitting down to discuss something especially with the right intent. This could be a win, win, win. It could also just be an attempt to do other things. Hopefully the officer would present this as a huge opportunity. Could be a great collaboration.

STPGopher

Reaction score
I have witnessed cops doing bad things and being assholes. Am I going to complain to someone? No, because I am scared of the police and how would me saying something help me while it has the potential to be catestrophic for me.

Until police start policing themselves I will have a disdain for cops that's me.
It's a tiring fight, but don't lose hope. All of us that care have the right to have our voices heard. Legislation is a good start.

Some have already started.
Anyone in such a job could/ can lose it. Creating an environment were fellow officers can reign each other in without repercussion is a good start. This is where trust can be re-established.

BarnBurner

Reaction score
Why do privileged White people feel the need to create trauma & anxiety for Black people by pushing a problem that doesn't exist, and only make's Black people less safe?
Not sure.
I’m not privileged so wouldn’t know.

STPGopher

Reaction score
Good Policing has less to do with good training and far more to do with hiring good people to protect and serve the community. Local police departments in Minnesota and around America are failing miserably with their police hiring practices.

At first I wasn't fully appreciating the significance of this post. After I re-read your words, I can see your point. Training and support personnel are part of the equation. To your point though, we also need to have people who want to understand that there are people that have different needs. People on the Autistic spectrum can really have some strong behaviors that aren't necessarily non-compliance.

STPGopher

Reaction score

Good policing?

One bad cop?

🤮🤮🤮

We all know that there are some bad apples, but let's try to stick to good policing in this thread. Yes, I am highly aware of the Lebron James digression.

Peace!

Go4Broke

Reaction score
At first I wasn't fully appreciating the significance of this post. After I re-read your words, I can see your point. Training and support personnel are part of the equation. To your point though, we also need to have people who want to understand that there are people that have different needs. People on the Autistic spectrum can really have some strong behaviors that aren't necessarily non-compliance.
I agree. And even if behaviors exhibited by people with mental health issues ARE considered to be non-compliant we need to have far more policers officers who understand and are sensitive to the the needs of those people. Police departments should be able to identify and screen out many more of the bullies and thugs during the recruitment and interviewing process than they currently do.

STPGopher

Reaction score
I agree. And even if behaviors exhibited by people with mental health issues ARE considered to be non-compliant we need to have far more policers officers who understand and are sensitive to the the needs of those people. Police departments should be able to identify and screen out many more of the bullies and thugs during the recruitment and interviewing process than they currently do.
This is what is sad. As IIRC you pointed out, this is one of the pitfalls of binary thinking. Questioning misconduct is not the same as condemning police. I wouldn't doubt that many police will be more than okay, that they are given freedom to intervene if they think something is over the top.

STPGopher

Reaction score

Good policing?
Yes it is inhumane, but can we at least try to point out good? Many of us know that the feds will have much work to do. Maybe another thread is needed for the negative.

Top Bottom