Good Luck

M

MN-jayhawk

About KU from an alum...

You'll get a kick out of KU fans. Most of us will be wearing basketball attire in AZ, filling up sports bars airing hoops and talking more about whether the Morris twins can give Cole Aldrich a breather than our D-backs stopping your pass attack.

Last January at the Orange Bowl tailgating VT fans serenaded us with a barrage of "we're going to kick your..." to which most Jayhawkers replied - " probably " but were quick to add, "see you in San Antonio!"

KU gridiron success? 1968 - lost in the Orange Bowl to Penn State because we had 12 players on the field when they went for two at the end. -- 1960 - great team but one of our players accepted a ride from a booster causing us to forfiet a few games in an otherwise very successful season. Greatest player - Gale Sayers. KU has little footbal tradition.

What to watch for: bubble screens and quick slant passes. Almost all of our runs are zone reads to Jake Sharp #1. Angus Quigley is a powerful runner ( knocked out a Texas linebacker - that was cool ) but he's prone to fumble and because of that will likely not play. Desmon Briscoe #80 is our primary deep and mid range threat who's pretty good after the catch. Kerry Meier ( our #2 QB ) is our most reliable reciever with great hands and an uncanny ability to get open on third down. Both our tackles are freshmen and play like it. If you have a speed rusher you'll beat 'em. Todd Reesing reminds me of Fran Tarkenton listed at 5'11" but he's really just a shade over 5'8". My daughter had him in a class last year and says he's shorter than me ( 5'9 ). He's quick, accurate, very average arm and has an uncanny ability to make people miss. Our defense is pretty good - below average d-line, average d-backs and very good linebackers who are just now getting healthy. We're good at stopping the run but OK at best against the pass. We offer little in the form of a pass rush but will blitz a linebacker on occasion to force the action.

I don't know much about you guys but I'd guess you'll score a few points on us. On the other hand not many teams have shut our offense down this year. I don't know what the line is but I'd guess we're a touchdown favorite.

Good luck to ya from an ex-Minnesotan turned Jayhawk

Top Bottom