Go Gophers!

Go Gophers Rah

Section 238 Row 21
Reaction score
I just thought I'd start a thread where people can feel free to proclaim themselves as Gopher fans.

I know, I know... what an odd idea, posters on a fan forum actually being fans of the team in question. As I read 90% of the other posts on here, it strikes me that being a Gopher fan and having something positive to say about the program, team, coaches, players and program in general is quite a novel approach.

So, I hereby proclaim; I am a Gophers fan.

I'll be a fan when they win (like everyone else was just 4 days ago);
I'll be a fan when they lose.

I've been a fan when we were 1-11.
I'll be a fan when we play in Pasadena.

There is a very tough opponent coming up on Saturday. Like always, I hope that our boys in Maroon & Gold play their best. If they never give up, I'll be proud of them.

Any other fans in the house?

Go Gophers!

Yes, I am a Gophers fan.

I do take issue, however, with the insinuation that you must be 100% positive on all things Gopher-related if you are a fan.

I'm with you. 100% support. There is a difference between building something, trying to understand it, discussing weaknesses and how to improve them, and tearing something down by bashing it.

It can be tricky, but it can be done as it once was the typical way to discuss sports.

I am a Gopher fan...

When we win, I am elated, excited and enthused. I would love to see us do what Purdue did last week.

When we loose, I go into my hole for a while. To see what is happening to Illinois would be discouraging to say the least.

I always believe there is room for improvement, whether we win or loose, but I will always be a Gopher fan.

I am a Gopher fan...

By the time I could talk my dad had taught me the Minnesota rouser. He grew up watching dominant Gopher teams that won Big Ten Titles and National Championships. He watched Sandy Stephens dominate the Big Ten at a time when the SEC wouldn't even let black players compete. In 1970, long before my birth he promised that when the Gophers return to the Rose Bowl, they would be there to cheer them on.

And when the Gophers go back to Pasadena, we will be there...

I am a Gopher fan, and at my first ever Gopher game Penn State won 56-3, the lone highlight was Goldy beating up the Nittany Lion mascot.

I am a Gopher fan, and I was there in the Metrodome when then Freshmen Tyrone Carter stumbled, stiff armed, and pirouetted all the way to the end zone en route to returning one of his 2 fumble returns for TDs in a 56 second span(!!!!!!!) on the way to a 35-33 upset of Donovan McNabb's then #23 ranked Orangemen

I was also there when the Gophers were up 28-7 in the 4th quarter against Michigan and LOST...
I was there at every home game when the Gophers went 1-11, I was there when the Gophers lost to a team from my hometown that had guys I played with and against in High School. After the game I had 60 nasty texts and 15 voice mails.

I was there when Bud Grant cried, overwhelmed and awe-struck by the opening of our new stadium.

I've been there for every home trophy game the Gophers have lost during the Brewster era...
But I also plan to be there that happy year when I can take Paul Bunyan's Axe, use it to slice open Floyd of Rosedale, and wash it all down with water from the Lil' Brown Jug.

I am a Gopher fan...and if You cut Me I Bleed Maroon and Gold

He!! yeah I'm a Gopher fan!

The year before I was born, the Gophers tied for the Big Ten title. They haven't won one since. Maybe I'm a jinx, maybe I'll get rewarded with a big payday someday. In any case, I became a fan listening to Ray Christenson call the upset over Michigan in 1977. I was a season ticket holder off and on from '86 through '95, and every year straight from '98 to present.

I've seen some pretty awful losses in my time, but I would rather focus on the best games I've attended. I was at the dome when we ruined Wisconsin's shot at a national title by beating them in '93. The 59-56 Purdue victory at the dome that same year was a fun one too. I watched us beat Iowa in Iowa City in '99, and I was in Happy Valley in '03 when we held off Penn St. While those were some of my favorite attended games, the game this year against Air Force will be something I will remember the rest of my life. Since I never saw a game at Memorial, it was my first time seeing my beloved Gophers play on campus. Like many of you, I can't tell you how special that was for me.

While the final record this year will likely be no different than what has been typical lately, this year is still different. Because of the new stadium, it feels different being a Gopher football fan. It seems legitimate now. We actually have a real college football experience. While the results haven't followed yet, it feels like we've arrived, and we're a factor again. I don't know about the rest of you, but that feels good. If the team can ever get to the point where they actually win a Big Ten title, can you imagine how great it will be then?

Win or lose, I can't say enough how lucky I feel to be a Gopher fan. Down right blessed by God.

I'm here 100%, especially for Brew and Co. I will support this team and coaching staff 100%, even in the tough times when many are calling for heads. I did my bandwagon hating on Mason (I do regret it, too gimmicky), but I wasnt as knowledgable about this football program then as I am now. From what I've seen to this point, I can only root my rear off and hope that their vision pans out. Highs and lows combined, its been a good time. Hopefully we can find a consistent identity and continue building this program up.

Me too. Ever since the Gophers beat then #1 Michigan 16-0 in 1977. Seems like its been filled with a lot of heart break since then, but I've stuck with them ever since.

OK children, listen up! I became a Gopher fan listening, on the radio no less, to Billy Bye score touchdowns running behind Leo Nonnelini and Clayton Tonnemaker. Unfortunately that meant getting to a few mountaintops and wandering through a lot of long, lonely valleys.

I'm in. I'm not a Minnesota native, I didn't go to the U, I didn't even go to college in MN. But I've been a fan since taking my then 3-month old son to a game with the mister in 1998 and have been hooked ever since. It's tough sometimes to be a Gopher fan, but it's fun. I ride the waves, I cheer, I mourn, and I cannot wait for the beginning of every new season. Hope springs eternal! That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Go Gophers!

I've been a Gopher fan since I could look at a newspaper. I remember the peach section in the Tribune (way before StarTribune) and looking at the diagramed plays over photos. I don't think I missed a game from 1970 - 1982 and then I moved to Alaska. During football season in Alaska, I would go to the Library every Monday after work and read the Strib to find out how the Gophers did (they flew in the major papers). And most of all I read this god forsaken place nearly everyday. Thank you to the those who don't post only trash - you make this place informative and fun.

No matter how painful it can be...I am a Gopher fan for the long-haul.

I am a Gopher fan, always have been and always will be. It is just something about the Gophers that makes me hope for the best but expect the worst that makes those big wins that much more special.

I wear the same MN baseball cap to all Gopher football games. It is the only function I will break out that cap. I have one pin on it. It is the Dodge sponsored "Gopher Nation" pin from '07 when they went 1-11. It is a nice reminder that it can always be worse, and I actually enjoyed my season tickets that year. I think the thing I enjoy most about cheering for the Gophers is knowing that SOME DAY, they will have their breakout year. If Northwestern could do it (more than once, mind you) the Gophers can/will do it too someday and it will be far more fun having been in on the ground floor. It will be magical and I know I will appreciate it all the more knowing I have that pin on my hat and I have sat through ALL of it.

I'm a Hornets fan (Big Ups to KZoo!) ..... oops wrong forums.

My wife got me into the Gophers in college, and I ended up with a graduate degree from the U. I'm hooked for life now.

Count my son and me as fans...through thick and thin.
We drive 6 hours round trip for every home game. When we lose it is not as pleasant a ride home as when we win, but we have a great time dissecting the game throughout the trip. I love being able to spend time with my teenage son and the GOPHERS are a very big piece. Go Gophs...beat "B" Eyes

Count my son and me as fans...through thick and thin.
We drive 6 hours round trip for every home game. When we lose it is not as pleasant a ride home as when we win, but we have a great time dissecting the game throughout the trip. I love being able to spend time with my teenage son and the GOPHERS are a very big piece. Go Gophs...beat "B" Eyes

Very cool, icepirate!

I started being a Gophers fan in the 70's. I used to be a Vikings fan first, and then a Gophers fan, but over time, the Gophers moved into first place. Gophers games on TV were rare treats in outstate Minnesota, so I listened to the game on the radio. Back then, I didn't know the difference between Notre Dame and North Dakota. The first college game I ever saw was Concordia Moorhead. I though the crowd was HUGE, and by what I was used to, being from a town of 500 people, it was. I devoured every book on football that the school library had.

Hi my name is gophmeister.

I've been a gopher fan for pretty much my whole life and it's been exactly five hours since my last drink.

Yep, me too. I just noticed that this "Go Gophers" post got 19 responses while "Sit or Stand" posts go into the hundreds!:confused:

Top Bottom