GMU's Larranaga to Miami

I think this proves that Shaka Smart didn't make some terrible mistake by turning down NC State. People didn't forget who Larranaga was and they won't forget about Smart even if VCU never sniffs another Sweet 16. It is odd that he said yes to Miami after turning down better jobs, but I guess at 61 this might have been his last shot.

Not sure I understand Miami's thinking though. In the short-term he will be a good hire getting more wins out of the talent there. But it's hard to see big success long-term from a 61-year old coach in one of the worst BCS jobs.

This could be a great move for both parties. As much as coaches in the area talk about Ninham, I feel that Larranaga is the best scramble coach I've watched. If he can start getting long wings that can run, he will win a lot of games.

As for his age, it's not like he's working a farm. He looks to be in good shape for his age, and there is no reason he can't stay for 10 years. Any coach will tell you that 10 years is about as long as you can hope a job lasts. No matter how good you are, you will be turned down, hired, fired, and chased out of town with torches and pitch forks at once.

They discussed this on PTI yesterday (before Larranaga took the job) and they gave the opinion that Mason is actually a better job than Miami. What has Miami ever done is basketball? Plus, people don't give two poops about basketball, Miami is a football first everything else third.

Although I agree money talks, as does no state income tax.

Top Bottom