Glenn Mason should run our offense

C

CaliforniaGopher

Bring back Glenn to run our offense. We never had to worry about scoring with Glenn. He just ran a simple offense that worked. Pound, Pound, Pound the Ball with Glenn.

Bring back Glenn to run our offense. We never had to worry about scoring with Glenn. He just ran a simple offense that worked. Pound, Pound, Pound the Ball with Glenn.
And his defenses were awful. Plus his vanity won't let him leave television.

His offenses doubled up what the Brewster's offenses

produced this year.

Brewster: 3500 yards in total offense Mason 6400 yards

Brewster 80-100 rushing yards per game? Mason? 290-350 ?

passing yards about even Brewster under 4 yards per attempt/ GM was closer to 8 or 9

Ahhh....the glory days....Mase sure knew how to put up points on the board against our rivals on the road. Down 40-6 at Iowa in 2003....Mase worked some magic late to get it to 40-22. Then in 2005....down 45-7....Mase reached into his bag of tricks and we lost 52-28.

mitch browning is the guy you want - who do you think recruited maroney and barber?

Ahhh....the glory days....Mase sure knew how to put up points on the board against our rivals on the road. Down 40-6 at Iowa in 2003....Mase worked some magic late to get it to 40-22. Then in 2005....down 45-7....Mase reached into his bag of tricks and we lost 52-28.

What about down 55-0?

Oh wait.......

So what, cherrry pick a few games in you think that

that helps your weak case.

His offenses put up almost twice the production of this joke of an offense, against some very good teams, and against pretty much all the bad teams.

Brewsters teams put up offensive yards/points infrequently if at all, so I'd pretty much quit trying to be critical of the Mason offenses who were great during all but a couple of his ten years.

Who cares about Glennn's offenses? The only thing they proved is that you could rush for 400 yards in a game and still lose.

What has Brew proven?
It doesn't matter what Brew has or hasn't proven. The subject of the post was "Glenn Mason should run our offense", which I answered. I did not try to hijack the thread like you just did.

It doesn't matter what Brew has or hasn't proven. The subject of the post was "Glenn Mason should run our offense", which I answered. I did not try to hijack the thread like you just did.

I'd rather put up 400yds & lose then put up 220yds & lose...it's less fun to watch.......

Sucks that we aren't ahead of where we are, but having Glen Mason run the offense wouldn't change a whole lot, since we don't have Laurence Maroney, Marion Barber, and Gary Russell in the backfield. Those guys ruled the show, and even when we still had Maroney, we'd have some utterly pathetic showings on the road against ranked teams. I don't think he makes a difference. If we had Maroney on this current team, we would probably be 9-3 and not having this conversation in the first place. Maybe we can find one in one of our RBs coming in. All that said, a more accurate Weber and we have a better offense. His inability to find his niche this season really hampered the productivity this offense could have had.

This Glen Mason vs. Tim Brewster banter is hilarious. These two are both bush league coaches. This program has been down way too long for some mediocre coach or young coach learning on the job to make a difference. We need a name coach, like we got with the men's basketball team when they hit rock bottom, to get this thing turned around. Otherwise, expect more of the same.

Would Mason take the offensive coordinator's job next year if it were offered to him? Probably not, but I'd love to see Mason calling the plays again. The Gophers need to keep the play calling simple for Gray, Huff/Edwards/Kirkwood/Bennett and the OL to thrive. We can keep the defensive staff in place.

" having Glen Mason run the offense wouldn't change a whole lot, since we don't have Laurence Maroney, Marion Barber, and Gary Russell in the backfield."

Well, we got Huff and Edwards coming in next year who are ranked highly. Outside chance we get Lipscomb. Gray could be used as a runner too. We got a bunch of well regarded offensive lineman joining us and the current group will be a year older. I think the running game under a Mason system could be good again. We lose Decker, so I think it would be good to reemphasize the running game.

Would Mason take the offensive coordinator's job next year if it were offered to him? Probably not, but I'd love to see Mason calling the plays again. The Gophers need to keep the play calling simple for Gray, Huff/Edwards/Kirkwood/Bennett and the OL to thrive. We can keep the defensive staff in place.
Mason's ego wouldn't let him take an NFL job where he wasn't kingfish.

Top Bottom