Glenn Caruso

UST Gopher

Reaction score
It may be a stretch but what's everyone think of Glenn Caruso, the St Thomas coach, as a possible candidate?

-Although it's at a different level he's already proven he can take a bottom dwelling team and create a winner. He's done this at both St Thomas and Macalaster.

-He's been successful in recruiting around the nation and has shown he can bring recruits from Chicago, Florida and Texas to come play in the twin cities. If he can do this at a school that's really had no tradition in football such as UST with no national name recognition, why couldn't he do it with a school like Minnesota? Plus he already has an in with Cretin which I think we can all agre has not been recruited well enough at Minnesota.

-He's young enough where we don't have to worry about him retiring in a couple years like we would with just about any well known coach. Not everyone's Joe Pa and wants to coach til they die.

-Best of all he's an offensive genius, something we definately need.

It's probably a long shot and I think it would be best to pick a big name coach after what happened last time, but Caruso is definately a good dark horse candidate.

I'd prefer John Gagliardi. He's got some good years left in him.

If we ever went the D3 route, I would want Chris Meidt. Meidt was the former St. Olaf coach who took a job with the Washington Redskins. Personally, I don't think either would be up for the job yet and they would both need to build up their resumes.

This I wouldn't be against. Jim Zorn, head coach, Chris Meidt offensive coordinator.

its stupid sh!t like this that makes the site tough to read sometimes

If we are going DIII let's go after the guy from Mount Union. I am sure he would be interested.

Les, sonny, settle down. If you bothered to read the whole thing I said they shouldn't hire him. If we're basing a hire on pure coaching ability he'd be great, but of course that isn't everything. He just doesn't have the resume to be hired. But it's a few hours after our head coach was fired, not everything has to be completely serious.

It may be a stretch but what's everyone think of Glenn Caruso, the St Thomas coach, as a possible candidate?

-Although it's at a different level he's already proven he can take a bottom dwelling team and create a winner. He's done this at both St Thomas and Macalaster.

-He's been successful in recruiting around the nation and has shown he can bring recruits from Chicago, Florida and Texas to come play in the twin cities. If he can do this at a school that's really had no tradition in football such as UST with no national name recognition, why couldn't he do it with a school like Minnesota? Plus he already has an in with Cretin which I think we can all agre has not been recruited well enough at Minnesota.

-He's young enough where we don't have to worry about him retiring in a couple years like we would with just about any well known coach. Not everyone's Joe Pa and wants to coach til they die.

-Best of all he's an offensive genius, something we definately need.

It's probably a long shot and I think it would be best to pick a big name coach after what happened last time, but Caruso is definately a good dark horse candidate.

We had Bill Walsh's west coast offense and now we have Glenn Caruso's offense. You have got to be kidding me.....:rolleyes:

I'd rather have the 2003 Michigan game playing on a continuous loop on my TV permanently.

I imagine Mike Tice, Bob Nielson, Mike Grant, Gags, Scanlon, and Corey Sauter are all on the short list.

Would be a nice hire for a coordinator or assistant position, especially if the new coach isn't from the region. But he is a few big steps up the ladder away from being a Big 10 head coach.

No. I appreciate your enthusiasm, but no. Rarely does a coach jump DIRECTLY from a lower level to Division I as a head coach. It doesn't happen very often for a reason. Recruiting at the Division I is a completely different beast that D-III. The last thing we need is another coach learning on the fly like Brew had to.

To paraphrase Maturi at the press conference, "we want to hire a Tubby Smith type of coach for our new football Coach. This does not exactly get that type of attention around the country. Even I went "who?" Seriously?"

I will support Glenn Caruso for coach only if he can resurrect Enrico Caruso to sing the national anthem. I wonder if he'd be in the mix for a co-ordinator position though.

We should probably get clear on this.

YES:
African-Americans
Jews
Northern and Central Europeans

NO:
Basically everybody else.

;)

Glenn is a good coach, and he's got a future. That said, he needs to move up through the system, though. He's not yet ready for prime time. Mostly, he will need to understand recruiting at the D1 level, and he will need to be ready to play more of an executive role, and to be less hands-on. I think Brew's downfall was micro-management, and that he insisted on the football fantasy that was in his head rather then reality that was on the field (witness - the silly tinkering with uniforms). Glenn may be given to the same distractions at this point. Won't happen now.

Top Bottom