Glen Mason vs. Tim Brewster

Let's be clear, Mason stunk as a head coach. Brew can recruit, I'll give him that, but maybe that is it. Maybe he is not a college football head coach. He will probably get his full 3 years to prove his worth. All I know is that I am tired of losing when it comes to football. Let's face it, MN is an average football team at best. Some days we look fine, some days we look like a JV high school team. Weber has regressed big time. If the offense needs a spark, why not put Gray in? He cannot be worse than Weber at this point. Will he take his lumps? Yes, but don't most freshman QB's with talent do (e.g., Pryor)?

Yes...your stunning analysis left me with no other retort.

Uh, ok.

Thought my question was a fair one. Your questioning of why we haven't seen the benefits of Brewster's recruiting classes when almost all of them are freshmen, redshirt freshmen, or sophomores didn't make a lot of sense. I thought it was general knowledge that you want to give recruits some time to mature and develop in the S&C system a little bit before making them full-time starters. I also thought it was general knowledge that most of the starters on this team were Mason recruits and, therefore, it doesn't make much sense to be critical of Brewster's recruits at this point.

Would you like to see Brewster's recruits play as freshman so you can "see that talent on the field"? Is that what you were trying to say?

Regardless, go back to throwing a hissy fit and name calling again if it makes you feel better.

He will probably get his full 3 years to prove his worth. All I know is that I am tired of losing when it comes to football.
Do you mean 3 years total or 3 years from now? Brewster isn't going to be fired after this season, unless we lose to South Dakota.

No, I will steadfastly refuse to admit I'm wrong. And when people question me about it, I'll call them names.

Do you have any idea how college football works? Like, any idea?

Yea 4-star in this, program it's David Pittman, Hayo Carpenter other guys we can't get into school. Recruit, recruit, recruit!!!!! How about develop, develop, develop!

I literally will not judge brews recruiting talent until 2011, when its all his players.

It's better to have freshman Gray throwing to frosh/sophs Allen, Green, and Stoudermire now, so as to build chemistry that can be exploited over the next 2-3 seasons. That's not to mention Gray will learn the offense more by actually playing, and that he can scramble better than Weber - considering the OL doesn't give much time in the pocket. Should we also add the fact that he's a run threat?

mmhmmm....

Yea 4-star in this, program it's David Pittman, Hayo Carpenter other guys we can't get into school. Recruit, recruit, recruit!!!!! How about develop, develop, develop!

You mean like he developed Eric Decker into one of the best receivers in the entire country?? Or developed Lee Campbell into a pretty darn good LB after he switched positions?? Or perhaps when he developed Nate Triplett into a playmaking LB? Or when he developed Garrett Brown and Eric Small into DT beasts??

I don't understand how people can say after 2 years that Brewster can't develop players when there is little evidence that says he can't and if anything that's one thing he's shown to be pretty decent. I'm interested to see how HIS classes develop into upperclassmen under his program. When the majority of his players are sophomores and under, you're not likely to see them all over the field. But the fact that there are a lot of them already playing a lot of minutes tells you the state of this program's recruiting in the years prior to Brewster's arrival.

You mean like he developed Eric Decker into one of the best receivers in the entire country?? Or developed Lee Campbell into a pretty darn good LB after he switched positions?? Or perhaps when he developed Nate Triplett into a playmaking LB? Or when he developed Garrett Brown and Eric Small into DT beasts??

I don't understand how people can say after 2 years that Brewster can't develop players when there is little evidence that says he can't and if anything that's one thing he's shown to be pretty decent. I'm interested to see how HIS classes develop into upperclassmen under his program. When the majority of his players are sophomores and under, you're not likely to see them all over the field. But the fact that there are a lot of them already playing a lot of minutes tells you the state of this program's recruiting in the years prior to Brewster's arrival.

+1

People forget that Small never even played a game that Mase coached, Triplett was only in for 5 plays, and Campbell had 11 tackles on the season as a freshman. Nobody knows how any of these guys would have developed under Mason, but they did develop under Brewster. This should remind everbody of two things:
-It is rare for a freshman to have a big impact on a college football team, especially on defense, so you need to give some of these guys time.
-Brew and his staff have done a good job getting the most out of a lot of Mason's players/recruits. This is a good sign when you consider that Brewster has been bringing in a lot of talented players.

Top Bottom