Given the way he is currently playing WR

calminnfan

Reaction score
and seeing him make that catch today at the 4, who here thinks Gray will be drafted as either a WR or TE and what round?

Though he has the build to play TE, I think he would do better as a WR, especially since he has the speed.

My thought is he is probably going somewhere in the 5th round, though someone may take him in the 4th. He will be drafted as with the intent of him being a WR, but as he progresses he will be moved to TE.

I don't think he's durable enough for a tight end.

He's a very impressive specimen, and that and his demonstrated ability to catch the ball will be enough to get him a contract. Whether or not he's drafted, I really doubt it.

I have thought he was a round 4 talent. He will absolutely get drafted based on his size/speed alone because there just are not that many guys that are his size that can run like him. If he takes off at the WR position over the remainder of the season he could improve his draft stock greatly, biggest key for him will be to post a good 40 time at his pro day.

The tricky part is he falls into that tweener category but he is coming out at a great time with the hybrid WR/TE being the current rage in the NFL.

I don't think he's durable enough for a tight end.

He's a very impressive specimen, and that and his demonstrated ability to catch the ball will be enough to get him a contract. Whether or not he's drafted, I really doubt it.

That is why I don't like him as a TE either. I don't think he is durable enough for the blocking part. I do think if he continues to progress someone will take him in the later rounds.

IDK if Gray will get drafted, McKnight wasn't drafted and he was an impressive speciman, I think he will get invited to a training camp though.

Dajon McKnight and Gray are in completely different categories in terms of raw athleticism.

McKnight was 6'2" 210 and ran a 4.89 at the Gopher Pro Day.
MarQueis will probably measure in around 6'4" 245 lbs and run a 4.55 ish 40.

Gray is way bigger and quite a bit faster.

If Gray's 40 time is under 4.6, he gets drafted around the 4th round.

That is why I don't like him as a TE either. I don't think he is durable enough for the blocking part. I do think if he continues to progress someone will take him in the later rounds.

It's really hard to tell, it's a completely different kind of durability. TE's have longer shelflives in the NFL than RBs, because despite TE being a more physical position (theoretically), it's the kind of hits that someone running the ball numerous times a game that really makes some people susceptible.

That said, the TE position in the NFL is often not THAT much different than a WR. Aaron Hernandez, Jimmy Graham, even Gates...they are more used for being matchup problem WRs.

I have thought he was a round 4 talent. He will absolutely get drafted based on his size/speed alone because there just are not that many guys that are his size that can run like him. If he takes off at the WR position over the remainder of the season he could improve his draft stock greatly, biggest key for him will be to post a good 40 time at his pro day.

The tricky part is he falls into that tweener category but he is coming out at a great time with the hybrid WR/TE being the current rage in the NFL.

THIS. Though I'm not sure about the 4th round. He'll get drafted assuming he posts a good 40 time. guys of his athletic ability don't come around that often.

He'll go in the 4th or 5th round as a TE. As afore-mentioned, he will be used as a match-up guy like Hernandez or Gates. Didn't have a consistent enough college career to get drafted early, but he is a combo of size and speed the NFL can't ignore.

and seeing him make that catch today at the 4, who here thinks Gray will be drafted as either a WR or TE and what round?

Though he has the build to play TE, I think he would do better as a WR, especially since he has the speed.

My thought is he is probably going somewhere in the 5th round, though someone may take him in the 4th. He will be drafted as with the intent of him being a WR, but as he progresses he will be moved to TE.

He could get drafted, but it will depend on his pro day and if he is invited the combine. With his size and athleticism, plus a decent head on his shoulders, he might have a chance to sneak in the later rounds. Either way good luck MarQuise. I will be rooting for you for sure.

If you watch Q on the sidelines, you'll notice he is still significantly hurt. When the team jogs to-and-from the tunnel at the beginning of the game, half and end, he either walks with a little giddy-up in his hitch or he gingerly jogs.

My point here is that, if his ankle heals in time, we could be in for a lot of highlight reels with Marquis. If healthy, I could see him really lighting up some DB's and getting a whole bunch of yards-after-contact.

I truly think that if he could put on like 20 pounds, he could be a great receiving tight end in the NFL. Especially with the way tight ends are used now in the NFL (Vernon Davis, the Patriots, etc), because Gray has some amazing hands.

I truly think that if he could put on like 20 pounds, he could be a great receiving tight end in the NFL. Especially with the way tight ends are used now in the NFL (Vernon Davis, the Patriots, etc), because Gray has some amazing hands.

20 lbs is a lot of weight to add. Not sure he could keep his speed/quickness with that much extra weight. Plus look at these sizes.

Vernon Davis - 6'3" 250
Aaron Hernandez - 6'1" 245
Gronk - 6'6" 265
Gates - 6'4 255
Kyle Rudolph - 6'6" 258
Dallas Clark - 6'3" 252

Marqueis Gray - 6'4" 250 - Build wise he is right in line with those guys listed above so I don't think he will need to change his size much to compete. Biggest hurdle for him if he ends up at TE will be adjusting to blocking but a lot of those guys don't do a ton of blocking to begin with and very little of it is 1 on 1 against a DE.

Several commentors here seem to think that his 40 times will be a big factor, when in effect, it is only a small dot on the screen of the whole picture. The reason I say this, is because my question about it is the ultimate most important consideration, and that being, is Q's 40 time going to be hand held or electronic?

(Sorry, someone had to say it.)

It's really hard to tell, it's a completely different kind of durability. TE's have longer shelflives in the NFL than RBs, because despite TE being a more physical position (theoretically), it's the kind of hits that someone running the ball numerous times a game that really makes some people susceptible.

That said, the TE position in the NFL is often not THAT much different than a WR. Aaron Hernandez, Jimmy Graham, even Gates...they are more used for being matchup problem WRs.

Exactly. Some TE's are blockers and some are pass catchers. You don't have to be both.

I expect we'll see much more of Gray in the offense. Plays like the screen to Edison over the middle that Purdue used successfully against us, an end around, maybe with option pass. Making good use of his versatility -- sorta like Purdue uses Henry. Our offense could be effective -- maybe not like the first half yesterday but plenty worrisome to opponents with our newfound deep passing threat, Gray's skills, a rejuvenated running attack, and few mistakes.

Unless he loses some weight I don't see him as an NFL WR, I can see him as one of the new hybrid TE's though. I'd guess round 4-6, a lot still depends upon how he finishes the season and his combine workout (assuming he's invited).

Kill hinted that when he's healthy we'll see some end arounds and Q passes

Agree with others that he'll be coming out at the perfect time. His body and skill set make him a very good fit for the te/wr hybrid that has developed in today's NFL.

Dajon McKnight and Gray are in completely different categories in terms of raw athleticism.

McKnight was 6'2" 210 and ran a 4.89 at the Gopher Pro Day.
MarQueis will probably measure in around 6'4" 245 lbs and run a 4.55 ish 40.

Gray is way bigger and quite a bit faster.

If Gray's 40 time is under 4.6, he gets drafted around the 4th round.

Mcnights biggest problem was the WR throwing to him.

I love Grays chances as a NFL WR/TE, you make a great point in regard to Grays athleticism. I think Grays 40 time will be in the mid 4'6 range, which is plenty fast enough. 40 times are most important when talking about potential high 1st round players...mid round, not so much.

Agree with others that he'll be coming out at the perfect time. His body and skill set make him a very good fit for the te/wr hybrid that has developed in today's NFL.

This. There are a lot of "touch football" offenses in the pros now and Gray has a very interesting set of qualities that would fit well with that approach. He could be a very good situational player with the right team.

I would add that for all the hubbub about 40 yard dash times, it will be a key for Gray. He gets healthy and runs in the 4.6/4.7 range, someone will take a flyer on him. He runs slower than 4.7 and he's probably not drafted. I think scouts will look for "explosion" off the snaps in his workouts. If that's there, a step slow in the 40 can be overlooked.

Unless he totally bombs his 40, which I'm pretty sure he won't, he will get drafted as a WR. If you watch that catch, you'll notice the burst he needed to get to the ball and the fantastic hands to reel it in, all done on a bad wheel. Easy comparison is Anquon Boldin, although I'm not predicting Gray will be that good, just that they are similar talents, sizes, both ex QB's, etc. His size, burst and hands matter much more, as their are a ton of college WR's that can run forty yards in a straight line faster than he can.

You mean the same Anquan Boldin who is 3-4 inches shorter and 30 pounds lighter than Gray? Not really an easy comparison there Balds. Totally different players. Boldin runs precise routes, something Gray has yet to do in his career. That does not mean he cannot evolve into a good route runner, but he is not there yet.

Were they both High School QB's? Yes. Do they both play receiver now? Yes.

You realize Davis is one of the best blocking tight ends in the game though, right?

Top Bottom