Giants.com: John Michael Schmitz embodies 'smart, tough, dependable'

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Giants.com:

The NFL is full of tough guys. But how smart can they be while trying to be tough? Those are harder to find.

"J is one of the best at it," Alex Boone said of John Michael Schmitz Jr. on Giants.com's Big Blue Kickoff Live.
Boone played in more than 100 NFL games from 2010-2020 and was part of the hard-nosed 49ers teams that made three consecutive NFC Championship Games. These days, the former guard runs a gym in Minnesota and trained the All-American center leading up to his selection by the Giants in the second round of the 2023 NFL Draft.

"With John, it clicked immediately," Boone said. "His attitude, the way he approached the field, the film – everything about him I was like, dude, we have to get this kid. He's incredible. [Every] step of the way he has been phenomenal."

After San Francisco, Boone played a season with the Vikings and was teammates with Jeremiah Sirles, another interior offensive lineman who is now a partner at the gym. Sirles is also an agent and represents Schmitz.

As pick No. 57 inched closer on April 28, Sirles gave Boone a quick call and said, "This is it."

"My heart stopped," Boone said. "This is the perfect scenario. I cannot tell you how excited I am to see him in that blue."

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom