Get to Know Lu'Cye Patterson

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per the U:

Why Minnesota?
I wanted to come home and play my last year in front of my family and friends. I also knew Ben was a good player's coach and my dad had known Ben for a very long time. We had that family connection so that was the reason I decided to come back home.

As you mentioned, you've known Coach Johnson for quite a while, but now he's in a coaching role for you. What have you learned so far from him and this group of coaches?
They are a very smart group of coaches and their players play free. They let their players make mistakes. They hold players accountable, but in a positive way to get better. They are a hardworking group that pushes us to be better each and every day. Coach Ben really reminds me a lot of my dad. They are from the same area in Minneapolis, and he and I can relate pretty well from a family standpoint.

With your dad being your coach growing up, what have you learned from him both on and off the court?
Having a good mentality. Playing tough, but keeping it even keeled and never get rattled. Don't let the highs and lows get too big. He taught me a lot and he's my best friend. I've gone through everything with him. He coached me all the way through high school, so I know what to expect from each other.

You're one of eight guards on the roster. What have you seen from this group through summer workouts and training?
We're very deep. It's probably the deepest guard team I've ever been on. We added Tyler and playing with Mike (Mitchell), Brennan (Rigsby), Isaac (Asuma) this summer, all the guys are good pieces for the team. We all help each other every day. We push each other to get better. That's what I like, everyone is very talented on this team.

You're a Minneapolis kid. Where have you told some of your new teammates places to go?
Femi's my roommate so I always tell him to come to my grandma's house to eat. I always tell them to go to Mall of America, water parks, Valleyfair. A couple of guys even went canoeing so we got a lot of lakes and can go on a boat so there's a lot of things to do here.

What are you most looking forward to this upcoming season?
Just to put that jersey on and play in front of my family and friends. I'm looking forward to playing in the Big Ten and seeing what this Minnesota crowd and team is about.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom