Get to Know Femi Odukale and Caleb Williams

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per the U:

Why Minnesota?
Femi Odukale: I chose Minnesota because I have local connections. I grew up in St. Cloud (Minnesota) from pre-k and elementary years and it just felt right to come back home.
Caleb Williams: I've been following the program for a few years now and I just think they are on the up and something I wanted to be a part of and got the opportunity to join this group. I just think we're going to do all we can to bring success to the state this year.

You've been through workouts for over a month now. What have you taken away from your Minnesota experience so far?
FO:Just Keep working hard, keep my head down and keep grinding each day. It's going to be a great season coming up and I'm looking forward to it.
CW: Really appreciative of the team. They welcomed me like a brother from day one. I think we are all here to win and I think it helps that we're an old group so less egos and pleasantly surprised with how well we've meshed and synergy as a team.

What have you been ablet to take away from the coaches so far?
FO: They are everyday people and are themselves every time I see them. I know what to expect from them each day I'm here.
CW: I think I was concerned with being or looking slow at this level and that led me to speed up too much. They really taught me how to play with pace and understand the game at this level. That's been a big help so far.

What's one thing people should know about you?
FO: I'm versatile, on and off the court. I can play a few different positions and I know a little bit about everything. I can just be versatile in my surroundings wherever I am.
CW: I'm officially a Minnesota fan. Anyone that was worried about my Wisconsin connections, it's over. Another is that I love movies. If you're a movie buff, reach out and we'll talk.

What's one thing fans should know about your hometown?
FO: Gritty. Brooklyn people do whatever they need to go to be on top and successful.
CW: If you ever need to camp or a small-town location, Wild Rose, Wisconsin is the place to go. Very small, but Wisconsin nice. You'll have a good time.

Although from a different state, you have a local connection to Minnesota. Tell us more about it.
FO: I still have some family here in Minnesota and was a great place to be when I was younger. Everyone is so generous here and looks out for one another. It's a very family-oriented place. I grew up with people that told me right from wrong early in life and just really felt like it was a great time to be back.
CW: I went to a DIII school here in the Cities (Macalester) just a few miles down the road so I've been a part of this basketball community and the state of Minnesota for a while. I think it's a great place and it means a lot to stay here for my final year. That connection is a full circle moment. We played Minnesota in an exhibition last year and it was a chance to contribute at the next level.

What are you most looking forward to this upcoming season?
FO: Winning. Winning and competing every day with my brothers.
CW: I grew up watching the Big Ten so I'm most looking forward to seeing all the historic arenas in the league. We go to Assembly Hall (Indiana), Michigan State, and have a couple big rivalry games at the Barn. That atmosphere is something I haven't seen so I'm looking forward to it.

Go Gophers!!

I think/hope that this could prove to be a more cohesive team than last season.

certainly, things can change over the course of a season - and it will be imperative for the coaches to manage playing time and be very open with the players about their roles on the team.

but I hope they can avoid the issues that cropped up last season - based on reports - that certain players became disgruntled and that led to some problems in the locker room.

hopefully, the coaches learned from the experience.

: I'm officially a Minnesota fan. Anyone that was worried about my Wisconsin connections, it's over. Another is that I love movies. If you're a movie buff, reach out and we'll talk.
Haha, I remember thinking he didn’t want to come here when I heard he grew up rooting against us. Happy to have him on the team

I think/hope that this could prove to be a more cohesive team than last season.

certainly, things can change over the course of a season - and it will be imperative for the coaches to manage playing time and be very open with the players about their roles on the team.

but I hope they can avoid the issues that cropped up last season - based on reports - that certain players became disgruntled and that led to some problems in the locker room.

hopefully, the coaches learned from the experience.
If so, this may be the main reason why BJ brought in a batch of mature and experienced players. Outside of Garcia, no one on this team will likely play any pro ball at a high level. So floor time will be earned and hopefully appreciated rather than expected. We shall see.

If so, this may be the main reason why BJ brought in a batch of mature and experienced players. Outside of Garcia, no one on this team will likely play any pro ball at a high level. So floor time will be earned and hopefully appreciated rather than expected. We shall see.
Locker rooms must really turn into a headache with NIL. Grab 1 year players, if they aren’t an asset, it’s only 1 year.

Top Bottom