Gerry Dinardo says he is 100-percent sure there will be 10 game conference schedules

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

I don't know about the wisdom of increasing league games unless all the P5 follow suit. When going undefeated is seen as so important (witnessFlorida St 2014, Iowa 2015 as just a few recent examples) it increases the risk of a Big Ten team having a slip up vs a good team instead of playing more of a patsy and carrying an undefeated schedule into a playoff spot. This only matters if one cares about getting into the playoff. Obviously for casual fans watching a more competitive Big Ten opponent beats watching a bad sunbelt team.

I figure the upside is its one less team to have to pay to play you. It evens out the schedule with home and away conference games. And it's the precursor to the P5 league where you're two non-conference games will be from one of the other P5 conferences...

I figure the upside is its one less team to have to pay to play you. It evens out the schedule with home and away conference games. And it's the precursor to the P5 league where you're two non-conference games will be from one of the other P5 conferences...

what's old is new again. this would essentially be a return to how most of what are now referred to as power 5 teams used to schedule every year. just more games now. from the 30's until probably the early 80's FBS teams rarely, if ever, played an FCS school. Minnesota's most frequent out of conference games were against schools like Pitt, Nebraska, Washington, Iowa State. And the occasional USC, Texas, Cal, Notre Dame, Oregon State.

I hope we go to 10 Big Ten games and that they set something up like the Big Ten ACC Challenge but for football.

I'm a little concerned with going super conference focused to where if the conference hits a skid.... there's no way out since the perception being that it is a bad conference just playing itself most of the time.

Also if we go 10 and others do not and everyone gets beat up... everyone else will have one extra cupcake W.

from the 30's until probably the early 80's FBS teams rarely, if ever, played an FCS school.

FBS teams rarely, if ever, played an FCS school from the 1930s until the early 1980s because Division I-AA/FCS didn't exist until 1978.

what's old is new again. this would essentially be a return to how most of what are now referred to as power 5 teams used to schedule every year. just more games now. from the 30's until probably the early 80's FBS teams rarely, if ever, played an FCS school. Minnesota's most frequent out of conference games were against schools like Pitt, Nebraska, Washington, Iowa State. And the occasional USC, Texas, Cal, Notre Dame, Oregon State.

Not sure if the result would be as you predict if the standard schedule stays at twelve games. Ten conference games would mean five home games in the Big Ten. With the model seeming to be seven home games annually to meet budget, the two non-conference games would have to be home games.
Without the option of scheduling return games, the non-conference games are going to be against non-P5 teams and I wouldn't be too surprised if the trade-off for the extra conference games is a relaxing on the FCS scheduling ban if for no other reason than to give teams more options to get their home games on the schedule.

Not sure if the result would be as you predict if the standard schedule stays at twelve games. Ten conference games would mean five home games in the Big Ten. With the model seeming to be seven home games annually to meet budget, the two non-conference games would have to be home games.
Without the option of scheduling return games, the non-conference games are going to be against non-P5 teams and I wouldn't be too surprised if the trade-off for the extra conference games is a relaxing on the FCS scheduling ban if for no other reason than to give teams more options to get their home games on the schedule.

I see what you are saying...what prevents them from having an unbalanced H/A conference schedule like they do now with 9 games?

This is why I wouldn't like 10 conference games. There will rarely if ever be good non conference matchups because teams will want the 7 home games.

I see what you are saying...what prevents them from having an unbalanced H/A conference schedule like they do now with 9 games?

You're suggesting teams would have six home conference games and four away games and vice-versa?

You're suggesting teams would have six home conference games and four away games and vice-versa?

Yes, alternating years when you have 6 home and 4 home...like they do now with alternating 5 and 4 home conference games. You'd end up with 1 or 3 non-con home games accordingly.

Yes, alternating years when you have 6 home and 4 home...like they do now with alternating 5 and 4 home conference games. You'd end up with 1 or 3 non-con home games accordingly.

Since a big part of the argument against nine is that half the teams having an extra home conference game is too big an advantage, I doubt that would fly.

Since a big part of the argument against nine is that half the teams having an extra home conference game is too big an advantage, I doubt that would fly.

Quite possibly, yes. There are enough G5 teams to fill out the non-con without going FCS, IMHO. Many of those conferences play 6 home & 6 away.

As pointed out earlier...the math doesn't really work out to consistently have 7 home games, though. Correction from my earlier poet...1 or 2 non-con home games.

Quite possibly, yes. There are enough G5 teams to fill out the non-con without going FCS, IMHO. Many of those conferences play 6 home & 6 away.

As pointed out earlier...the math doesn't really work out to consistently have 7 home games, though. Correction from my earlier poet...1 or 2 non-con home games.

No more JV in B10 scheduling. FBS only

Unless the schedule goes to 13 games, I can't see a 10 game conference schedule.

Seven home games is a must, and no P5 team will play another without a home & home.

With 9 games, it works perfectly, you play your road P5 game the seasons you have 5 B1G home games.

I made that point in the post...plenty of G5 (FBS) to round out non-con.

The way it reads is that there are enough G5 teams around that we would not need to schedule JV teams to fill out the schedule, as if it were an option.

The way it reads is that there are enough G5 teams around that we would not need to schedule JV teams to fill out the schedule, as if it were an option.

The G5 teams will be looking for bigger payouts, since there won't even be any 2 for 1 arrangements. We will get the bottom tier Sun Belt teams. The Northern Illinois and Central Michigans will be the prizes.

The G5 teams will be looking for bigger payouts, since there won't even be any 2 for 1 arrangements. We will get the bottom tier Sun Belt teams. The Northern Illinois and Central Michigans will be the prizes.

Why schedule G5 at all? Why not keep some intra-P5 relationships going and be done with it. And with those relationships, there are no payouts for away games. Period. Leave Northern Illinois with playing NDSU...

Why schedule G5 at all? Why not keep some intra-P5 relationships going and be done with it. And with those relationships, there are no payouts for away games. Period. Leave Northern Illinois with playing NDSU...

The point is, no major school wants a home schedule with only 6 games. If the Big Ten goes to a 10 game schedule (and the season stays at 12), how do you play a road game.

The only way the Big Ten goes to 10 conference games is if the NCAA expands the schedule to 13 games.

Yes, that's exactly what I posted, twice. There are enough G5 teams to fill the non-con schedule. If B1G were to stick with the notion of playing at least one other P5 non-con game, there would only be one G5 game to schedule each year. If not, there's what 60 G5 teams plus the handful on independents? Shouldn't be a need to think about ever scheduling FCS.

Not every P5 would be doing it. Boise State, UNLV, Air Force, Navy, Cincinnati, Houston, Rice, Marshall, San Diego State...

I think one other question (which I don't know if anyone has an answer for) is if the TV networks would pay more or less for a 10 game conference schedule. As it stands now, that would give BTN and ESPN 7 fewer games to broadcast each year. Granted, some of those would be absolute dogs, so maybe having a (potentially) more interesting game would make up for it.

An argument could be made that if the networks would pay more for a ten game conference schedule than they do for the nine game (assuming better games = better ratings, which I'm not sure if that's true), there is a number that would exceed the revenue gained from the 7th home game that could justify going to 6 home games / year rather than 7.

I don't see the NCAA going to 13 games. I know schools would love it (more $$$), but with more and more concern over CTE, etc., I just don't see it happening. But who knows. A couple years ago I never would have thought they'd go to a 2 round playoff, either.

Bad idea - we beat our brains out, others don't, and we fall in polls. Also, the playoffs now recommend stronger intersectional foes, so more colorful and interesting non-con rivalries. Nine is enough in a 12-game schedule.

Top Bottom