Gary Patterson

Wheaton

Reaction score
Believe it or not I think we have a good shot at landing this guy.

According to my source (Who is a Gopher football season ticket holder and often rubs elbows with big wig donors) The Gophers offered Patterson the job in 2006/2007 and he decided to turn down the opportunity and stay at TCU.

Less than a week later Patterson contacted Maturi and said he changed his mind, he would like to take the job. However, Maturi had already offered the gig to Brewster and were not willing to back out on his commitment.

Apparently he wanted the job before TCF and taking over for a pretty well respected coach in Mason. So it could be even more appealing now with a brand new stadium and the chance to be loved by millions of Minnesotans with little expectations initially. He is a midwest guy (born in Kansas) and like every is looking to get into that big time conference with that big time team.

Anyone else ever hear this rumor? Is it old news? Discuss....

I've never heard that one, but Patterson has turned down other jobs before. Plus I think he has a huge contract with TCU. The one downfall of TCU is their stadium is a dump and their attendance, despite the success, is poor.

I don't see him coming here after turning the job down before. TCU is now a program with a legitimate shot to play for a title and he makes good money there with tons of build in recruiting advantages. The TCU boosters would definitely make it hard for him to leave id it came down to money. If he wanted a rebuilding job I would think he would be more likely to take over for Bill Snyder at his Alma mater K-State down the line.

Believe it or not I think we have a good shot at landing this guy.

According to my source (Who is a Gopher football season ticket holder and often rubs elbows with big wig donors) The Gophers offered Patterson the job in 2006/2007 and he decided to turn down the opportunity and stay at TCU.

Less than a week later Patterson contacted Maturi and said he changed his mind, he would like to take the job. However, Maturi had already offered the gig to Brewster and were not willing to back out on his commitment.

Apparently he wanted the job before TCF and taking over for a pretty well respected coach in Mason. So it could be even more appealing now with a brand new stadium and the chance to be loved by millions of Minnesotans with little expectations initially. He is a midwest guy (born in Kansas) and like every is looking to get into that big time conference with that big time team.

Anyone else ever hear this rumor? Is it old news? Discuss....

No. Gary Patterson is not coming here.

I've never heard that one, but Patterson has turned down other jobs before. Plus I think he has a huge contract with TCU. The one downfall of TCU is their stadium is a dump and their attendance, despite the success, is poor.

The stadium is being renovated this year.

The team's attendance isn't horrible (40,000 plus), considering that the school is about the size of Winona State, with only about 8500 students.

I actually think he is one of the more unrealistic hires that we've been hearing about. Patterson makes 2.4 million right now, I would think it would take a significant raise to even consider leaving his situation at TCU. I'd imagine he wouldn't pick up our phone calls for an offer under 3 and even at that, he knows he is a hot commodity. He knows that Texas A&M, Georgia, maybe even LSU (if they collapse) will be looking for coaches eventually. I don't think Patterson will pass up a possible chance to coach at a better program, leave a really good program that he built to come to MN for a couple more hundred thousand dollars a year.

Weird. So you're saying that despite winning, despite being ranked highly and having a legitimate national championship chance....that they are less than satified with their attendance?

Huh. I thought all that needed to happen was winning big to be able to solve the dilemmas of fan support in a big NFL city. Maybe there is more to the equation than just winning? Nah, probably not. :rolleyes:

The team's attendance isn't horrible (40,000 plus), considering that the school is about the size of Winona State, with only about 8500 students.

Why do people keep saying things like this? It's in friggin' Dallas/Fort Worth. I think there is enough population to support that team.

Why do people keep saying things like this? It's in friggin' Dallas/Fort Worth. I think there is enough population to support that team.

It is supported by their alumni, but the great majority of DFW residents aren't alums of TCU. They are alums of UT, Tech, Oklahoma, A&M, and then also add in another similar sized school in town in SMU. It isn't like the Twin Cities where the majority of residents here that graduated from a division 1 school did so from the University of Minnesota. All of those programs listed have more alumni in DFW than TCU, with the exception of TCU possibly.

It is supported by their alumni, but the great majority of DFW residents aren't alums of TCU. They are alums of UT, Tech, Oklahoma, A&M, and then also add in another similar sized school in town in SMU. It isn't like the Twin Cities where the majority of residents here that graduated from a division 1 school did so from the University of Minnesota. All of those programs listed have more alumni in DFW than TCU, with the exception of TCU possibly.

Also, as someone already mentioned, TCU has the same enrollment as Winona St. at about 8,600. Minnesota, Texas, and Texas A&M have about 50,000. They have a much, much smaller alumni base. Comparing TCU to Minnesota is ridiculous.

You could put 250 million + into renovations of that place and it would still be a pig sty. Our high school football team has a better stadium than they do. I don't think Patterson would come to the U but he will be gone within the next year or so. TCU is as good as they can get and they still don't sell out. It was the same way with SMU during the Pony express days of Dickerson and James. They had national championship caliber teams but the alumni base is not big enough to support a top flight program over the long haul. He'll wait till they fire the doofus at A&M and then jump.

Bingo.

In fact, according to Wikipedia (for what it's worth in accuracy), there are about 75,000 living alumni of TCU.

The U of M has around 50,000 students right now.

In the scheme of Texas sports fans, TCU isn't really very important. That they can get 40,000 fans is more a result of being in football-crazy Texas than anything else.

Also, as someone already mentioned, TCU has the same enrollment as Winona St. at about 8,600. Minnesota, Texas, and Texas A&M have about 50,000. They have a much, much smaller alumni base. Comparing TCU to Minnesota is ridiculous.

I said what you said that TCU does have a much smaller alumni base than the other BCS schools I mentioned. My point was to show that contrary to what Josh087 and others have posted about the NFL team having a huge impact on fan support is not true. If Minnesota builds a winner the fans will turn out, NFL team or not. Trying to use the fact that TCU only gets 40000 at their games does not prove that a team cannot get solid fan support and build a successful program with a NFL team present, as he tried to do. TCU only gets 40000 because they have that small alumni base and not because the Cowboys are in town. The other fans in DFW are primarily associated with the other schools I listed, so of course they are not likely to go to TCU games and support that program. The U of M on the otherhand does not have to compete for fans at the level that a TCU does on the local level because the majority of citizens here are U of M alums versus alums of other major schools. As a result if a winner is built here than there will be more than enough support for the program, Vikings or no Vikings.

TCU's fanbase is what it is because they are probably the 4th favorite college football team to Texas residents (behind A&M, Texas and Oklahoma) at best. As pointed out by other people, they are also a small school with a relatively small alumni base.

TCU's fanbase is what it is because they are probably the 4th favorite college football team to Texas residents (behind A&M, Texas and Oklahoma) at best. As pointed out by other people, they are also a small school with a relatively small alumni base.

You forgot Tech. We have a kid who is going to TCU on scholarship next year. There was an article in the Dallas Morning News promoting TCU as the best program in the state (for this year at least) one of the coaches asked the kid who he thought was the best program in Texas, he didn't hesitate for a second and said Texas.
The coach shook his head and asked again," besides Texas what is the best program in the state of Texas right now?" The kid thought for a little bit and said "Oklahoma". ( To be fair it was Texas OU weekend).:confused:

You forgot Tech. We have a kid who is going to TCU on scholarship next year. There was an article in the Dallas Morning News promoting TCU as the best program in the state (for this year at least) one of the coaches asked the kid who he thought was the best program in Texas, he didn't hesitate for a second and said Texas.
The coach shook his head and asked again," besides Texas what is the best program in the state of Texas right now?" The kid thought for a little bit and said "Oklahoma". ( To be fair it was Texas OU weekend).:confused:

Doesn't surprise me. If you ask a hockey recruit what the best program in Minnesota is, they most likely would say the U even though Duluth and St. Cloud are currently ranked higher. His second choice might be UND (if he's being a smartass). Very comparable.

Weird. So you're saying that despite winning, despite being ranked highly and having a legitimate national championship chance....that they are less than satified with their attendance?

Huh. I thought all that needed to happen was winning big to be able to solve the dilemmas of fan support in a big NFL city. Maybe there is more to the equation than just winning? Nah, probably not. :rolleyes:

You're right. It would probably help if they weren't the 3rd most popular college football team in thier own city. I bet they'd get more fans then. While the # of Bucky and Hawkeye fans in MSP is alarming, at least they don't out-number us. What do the Cowboys have to do with the fact that most college football fans in Dallas love either the Horns or the Aggies?

The counter offer scenario 1

Mr. Patterson, you have high potential in bringing the Minnesota program to a level not achieved in 40 years. Here are some things you will need to consider. Even with the reconstruction of your stadium and your highly compensated status, our stadium has the potential to add 30,000 additional seats and can therefore afford you future payouts that exceed TCU's abilitities to sustain the type of broad salary range we are offering. Yes, our offer right now is in the neighborhood of what you are making right now. Win a few games, your pay will go up. Win more games, and we can give you even more money. Create demand outside of our capacity at TCF stadium and we will add those 30,000 seats and you will join the elite in college coaching ranks in terms of total compensation. We are committed to winning at Minnesota. We want that expansion to our stadium. We have a large and prosperous alumni population and we are in a top 20 population center in the Twin Cities. We bring fans in from 5 states and 2 Canadian provinces to football games. As many as 40,000,000 fans across the country watch our games every year on the Big Ten Network. You should consider not only the initial offer, but the potential for you and your family is indeed substantial with success. We are committing substantial resources to the program and will find a way to get a solid return on our investment. Our environmental scan indicates that we have made the correct world class investments in facilities, world class education for the student athletes, and have internationally known sponsors who will support the program with additional success on the field. We are certain that you would have fan support and impact our team positively in recruiting. All these elements combined under your leadership can help us attain our long term vision of becoming a national football power again. Please take the next week to evaluate carefully the contract before you.

TCU is the only D-1 football team in Texas and can only draw 40K in Dallas? And their enrollment and alumni base is equal to the U's? Why isn't anyone taking you seriously given those disturbing facts? :rolleyes:

Mr. Patterson, you have high potential in bringing the Minnesota program to a level not achieved in 40 years. Here are some things you will need to consider. Even with the reconstruction of your stadium and your highly compensated status, our stadium has the potential to add 30,000 additional seats and can therefore afford you future payouts that exceed TCU's abilitities to sustain the type of broad salary range we are offering. Yes, our offer right now is in the neighborhood of what you are making right now. Win a few games, your pay will go up. Win more games, and we can give you even more money. Create demand outside of our capacity at TCF stadium and we will add those 30,000 seats and you will join the elite in college coaching ranks in terms of total compensation. We are committed to winning at Minnesota. We want that expansion to our stadium. We have a large and prosperous alumni population and we are in a top 20 population center in the Twin Cities. We bring fans in from 5 states and 2 Canadian provinces to football games. As many as 40,000,000 fans across the country watch our games every year on the Big Ten Network. You should consider not only the initial offer, but the potential for you and your family is indeed substantial with success. We are committing substantial resources to the program and will find a way to get a solid return on our investment. Our environmental scan indicates that we have made the correct world class investments in facilities, world class education for the student athletes, and have internationally known sponsors who will support the program with additional success on the field. We are certain that you would have fan support and impact our team positively in recruiting. All these elements combined under your leadership can help us attain our long term vision of becoming a national football power again. Please take the next week to evaluate carefully the contract before you.

Does Gary read Gopherhole?

I actually think he is one of the more unrealistic hires that we've been hearing about. Patterson makes 2.4 million right now, I would think it would take a significant raise to even consider leaving his situation at TCU. I'd imagine he wouldn't pick up our phone calls for an offer under 3 and even at that, he knows he is a hot commodity. He knows that Texas A&M, Georgia, maybe even LSU (if they collapse) will be looking for coaches eventually. I don't think Patterson will pass up a possible chance to coach at a better program, leave a really good program that he built to come to MN for a couple more hundred thousand dollars a year.

Where did you get the 2.4 million figure from?

This link says 1.3 million: http://www.americasbestonline.net/index.php/pages/collegehighestpaidcoaches.html

Nevermind, I read the link from last winter talking about his contract extension and raise...

Top Bottom