Gameplan

The 12th Man

Reaction score
Most of my posts on here have been scheme-related, so I will give my take on what I saw:

I'm not worried about the gameplan because it was vanilla, very vanilla, and that was by design. They rarely motioned on offense, did not show many different formations, and worked on basics. Power, inside zone, play action off of it. The way offenses work is that the other flashy plays all work off the basic ones. The motions, formations, end-arounds, etc. really hide the fact that the blocking schemes all stay pretty standard.

They worked on basics, got some very good teaching film, and beat a team handily without showing anything to future opponents that they haven't already shown. I think it was pretty smart. They have a lot to work on, and this film will be very helpful for him. The underthrown balls concern me a bit, but the playcalling did not.

I tend to agree.

However these things concern me about the offense:

1. It seemed as though our O-Line was NOT dominating and frankly getting a little man handled. I remember their D-Line blowing up several plays.
2. Obviously, our receivers couldn't get ANY separation. They seem to lack quickness.
3. Phillip was locking onto 1 receiver far to often. It seemed like he was thinking "this is a go route, so I'm going to throw it," no matter what.
4. Apart from Cobb's run the RB's did nothing.

Bravo!

The film will also show what UNLV did to stuff the inside zone play. They pinched the middle. Collapsed from the ends and linebackers flowing to the inside gaps. They had at least 7 player inside the tackle box. The thing I liked, was the counter. Nelson option of the inside read, that seemed to work pretty well. And the rollout passing game. Again he was pretty good on the run. Especially to the tight ends. The thing that was also open off the inside zone, was play action. The ball handling fake was good, he had time, but he took a just a little to much time to survey the field before launching. And I sense being a tad late, he let up just a hare. It has to be almost automatic. And the ball on the boundary into double coverage could not have been the design. It end up as good as a punt.

One play Nelson made last night, that really wowed me was from his goal line he rolled right and shoveled a pass across his body for a first down. That was pure playground. And it came naturally to him. I have seen one other QB do that naturally.

I'm not worried about the gameplan because it was vanilla, very vanilla, and that was by design.

Watching Limegrover's play-calling for the last 2 Seasons have given me every reason to believe it's not by design... but simply his ceiling...

He ran the same type of vanilla play-calling all last year & before against every opponent whether it was working or not. Our games against Nebraska & even Michigan State were mind boggling that we stayed calling plays that just simply didn't work...

Then he opens up the playbook in the Bowl Game against TT... like where was that all Season???

I'm with you in hoping since it was UNLV he didn't feel the need to overcomplicate things but I also would hate to find out too late that this will be our Offense all Season if that makes sense...

One play Nelson made last night, that really wowed me was from his goal line he rolled right and shoveled a pass across his body for a first down. That was pure playground. And it came naturally to him. I have seen one other QB do that naturally.

That was a great play. Nelson is best when on the move IMO.

Then he opens up the playbook in the Bowl Game against TT... like where was that all Season???

Umm, they changed the whole offensive philosophy going into the TT game to power running game. I was most disappointed with the OL last night and it wasn't close.

I have no doubt that we used only half the playbook last night. Reminded me of Childress and his run-run-pass scheme. Not exactly tricky.

Umm, they changed the whole offensive philosophy going into the TT game to power running game. I was most disappointed with the OL last night and it wasn't close.

We should've stuck with it...

Go back to Gameplans original post. We worked on basics and obviously we need to work on basics against someone other than ourselves. If we want a power running game we have to use power running plays until we execute them well, and get timing and reads right against people with smart coaches who are tryng to stop us. It is not arm wrestling, it is not just who is the biggest.
There were some blows on blocks, a bad one on about our three yard line, but it is a first game and our center, the guy making the o-line calls, is what a sophomore? He is a smart kid and will do well.
The o-line is still learning how to adjust to what the other team is doing, and UNLV was well prepared. Our o-line is not physically dominant, but even Mason's o-lines were not the road graders Wisky has had. His o-line was built on technique and timing, and so will our success have to be this season.
UNLV's D was well prepared to play a team with no fast backs, and no serious WR threats (i.e. us).
Our QB just started what his ninth game? He did focus on Engel too much, but he will get better, and he did get better through the game. They left him in at the end not to run up the score, but basically our O was off the field the whole third quarter, the O needs the work.
I am mystified by why we call plays especially near our goal line where Kirkwood has to do anything more than go straight ahead, but obviously they know a lot more than I do.
For those who think all of the play calling is decided by Limegrover, I don't think so. Claeys runs the D pretty much on his own, but Coach Kill's actual coaching experience is on Offense, and I think he talks to Limegrover a lot about what is being run.

Top Bottom