Game notes; 12/28 Babers and Fleck presser

Q. Dino, I wanted to ask you about the Gophers defense. What stands out, and what is key to their success?

DINO BABERS: 13.3 points per game over a 12-game schedule. They don't give up a lot of points. Our one common opponent, you know, Purdue won, but the way they went about it with all the difficulties they had with that quarterback who I think is outstanding. They just don't make mistakes.

I was watching -- I couldn't sleep this morning, P.J., so I was moving around. It's 5:00 in the morning, and I'm watching Wisconsin and Oklahoma State is on TV, and I'm just watching Wisconsin and how they're playing, and I'm thinking, Minnesota's defense is better than Wisconsin's. I think they're ranked higher where.

You know, just that style of not giving up the big play, physical, runs to the ball. Assignment-wise they don't -- they do a lot, but what they do, they do extremely well, and they stay in it. They're consistently good. Not occasional.

I can talk all day because as much as everybody thinks I'm an offensive guy, but I love watching big-time defenses, and Minnesota has one.

Name a more intimidating task than going after PJ for opening remarks…

A couple quotes I like.

PJ about Mo:

“I know he wants to coach one day. He is going to be a phenomenal coach. I look forward to hiring him.”
————————
Dino reflecting on his time at SU and the history of 44:

Him sitting down and talking to the Crips and the Bloods in Los Angeles in his house. So he brought those two gangs to his house. Now, this is the way. I'm a little bit different. P.J. is square, but I'm a little bit different.

P.J. FLECK: Hey.
————————
I bet in real life that exchange flowed pretty well, but reading it in text is hilarious

Last edited:

Best quote from Fleck:
Heather and I even got a chance to go down to Broadway and see "The Music Man" with Hugh Jackman. That was awesome. I had to tell Heather, hey, eyes on me, eyes on me. I tell you what, he is a tremendous performer. I've seen "The Music Man" a ton of times, but to watch him do it was really special.

Top Bottom