Game day coaching scenario.

balds

Reaction score
Could this coaching set-up work full time? Could Kill be head coach in the booth, with Claeys as acting head coach on the field? I think it is working and could work as a permanent "solution".

This has been discussed elsewhere, but Kill has no interest in coaching from the booth. If he can't get himself healthy enough to where he can coach from the sidelines, he'll very reluctantly step away (IMO).

One thing I would like to see once Coach Kill returns, is for Claeys to remain on the sidelines. His immediate feedback and adjustments, rather than half time have been key to the play of the defense. Whoever has been in the booth, stay there. Keep Claeys on the field.

One thing I would like to see once Coach Kill returns, is for Claeys to remain on the sidelines. His immediate feedback and adjustments, rather than half time have been key to the play of the defense. Whoever has been in the booth, stay there. Keep Claeys on the field.

Interesting thought. Does anybody have any knowledge of what the pros and cons are of being on the field vs. being in the box when it comes to seeing what is actually going on, making adjustments with the players, etc. In the NFL the players are able to look at actual sky photos of plays but I suspect that isn't allowed in college football. It would also be interesting to know how Claeys get his information from the box when he is on the field. Is he in constant communication with the box or does most of the conversation with the box take place at halftime.

you can see more from the booth, and relay exact formation, down and distance tendency, etc. On the field you have direct contact with the players. You can give them reminders, encouragement, and get direct feed back from the field. In the old school it was one channel with all the booth coaches on the head coach's headset. Now I imagine multiple channels. Offense, Defense, Special Teams, as well as all on one. There is constant commentary from and to the both. What are they in? Is that an over/under? When they motion, they like to go weak side. Lets go nickel, lets go corner blitz.

I don't know how they are handling the booth and field right now, but its working. Possibly Miller in the booth and Phelps on the field. In the booth you need a coach who has seen it all. Someone who knows tendency and can stay a play or two ahead of the offense. On the field you need someone who can encourage, give players reminders, relay diagrams of what the both is saying. Instruction on how to play the option better. This individual must be a great communicator. Certainly the OC and possibly the QB Coach on the field are in constant contact. Same as the Defense. The head coach can but seldom does listen or comment. If he has an idea, he will run it through the booth and back to the field. Think of Hank Stram as he asked for them to check with the booth to see what 65 toss power trap looked like.

As the head coach, you are playing the game one, two steps ahead. Maybe making a call for a play, maybe a blitz, but most importantly you are in charge of strategy, the game plan, the game. Claeys, or Kill can get any information the booth has, but many times the game dictates that they have more important things to do.

I think coordinators should remain in the booth and obviously head coaches should remain on the sideline. It's just much easier to make schematic adjustments as a coordinator from a bird's eye view, and a head coach who can't directly communicate to his players or the officials doesn't seem to make much sense.

Thanks Husker for your comments and insight. - You are astute. Not perfect, but astute.

Top Bottom