Game 5: Gophers v. Georgia on Bimini (11/24/16)

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
Gophers v Georgia on Bimini

Georgia is 3-1 after losing to Georgia Tech in Atlanta 52-45. Last season under Joni Taylor the Bulldogs were 21-10 (9-7) in the SEC and an at large team in the NCAA tournament where they fell to Indiana 62-58.

I think Georgia is one of the taller teams the Gophers will face (yes there is the roster height caveat). However, they don’t appear particularly deep with four players averaging over 30 minutes per game.

Wins: South Carolina, State 64-50; Mercer, 72-64; BYU; 81-51 (a 34-9 run midway through the game put away the Cougars).

Loss: In their most recent outing, Georgia lost at Georgia Tech 52-45. The Bulldogs committed 27 turnovers. Leading scorer, Caliyn Robinson, committed 9 turnovers.

Three point shooting: Georgia (13-64); Minnesota (33-99).

Probable Starters:

Pachis Roberts: 5’11, G/F, Sr (14.5/ppg) 34.8/min/g
Mackensie Engram: 6’2 F Jr (12.2/ppg) 32/min/g
Halle Washington: 6’2 F Sr (8/ppg)
Shanea Armbrister: 6’2” G Sr. (5.5/ppg) 34/min/g

Others:

Caliyn Robinson: 6’3” F So (16.3/ppg) 31/min/g

I'm really liking this years OOC schedule. This years team has me very excited. Hopefully another win and a potential matchup with USF or NC.

I too like the schedule but it may be a little too tough compared to some of the other Big Ten teams. Hopefully Stollings has a game plan to utilize our speed against a much taller and turnover prone Georgia.

To be the best you've got to play the best. I'd rather have losses from a tough schedule than a cupcake schedule.

Stollings has done a great job with this years team so far. All of the new freshman have exceeded my expectations.

I agree that the freshmen have been a nice surprise. It's always good to find out that this coaching staff can identify players that can play. Hubbard, Brunson, and Bello appear to be making the adjustments from high school to college ball and it will be fun to watch them in the coming years. I too love the non-conference schedule. It should serve the team well as we get closer to conference play. It might also serve them well if they are in the running for an NCAA tourney berth. Can the Gophers beat Georgia? Will Stollings have yet another different starting lineup? I'm fine with her continuing to experiment with different lineups and combinations in the early part of the season. She has to find out who can play at this level. But I'm hoping that she'll have some semblance of a rotation by the time conference play begins. Any bets on what the starting lineup will be by the time we hit conference play? As of now, I'm thinking Wagner, Fernstrom, Bell, Bello, and Hubbard. Go Gophers!

Fernstrom will had to the rebounding and defense. I think Stollings might start Edwards at center because of Georgia's height.

What can we expect today? Will they step up to the plate and play like the future champions we expect them to be??

Fernstrom will had to the rebounding and defense. I think Stollings might start Edwards at center because of Georgia's height.

Fernstrom isn't eligible to play until the conference schedule. I wish they'd give a hint how she's doing in practice.

What can we expect today? Will they step up to the plate and play like the future champions we expect them to be??

Champions of what, Junkanoo?

It seems to me Gophers traditionally don't do well in holiday tournaments, so I hope that changes. Two years ago, our great team of Zahui, healthy Banham, and rookie Wagner got stomped by Vandy in Florida. That was a big disappointment as we lost our rare opportunity to play UConn. I can't even remember what happened last year, so it must have been bad.

Anybody paying to watch this game?

Oh, I remember we got edged out by lowly Hawaii in Hawaii in Zahui's first year.

I'm cautiously optimistic for today's game. We have to shoot better than we have the last 2 games. Control the boards again like we did last game. Go Gophers!

Not looking good so far. Poor shooting in the 2nd quarter. I can't find live stats that work.
36-24 GA at the half.

Commentators saying GA players look athletic and physically imposing.

Gophers lose 70-58. Horrible shooting . Sounded like they were intimidated by Georgia's size
Gophers shot 27℅ from the floor and 3-21 from the arch. Bell led in scoring with 20. Wagner had 14. The

Gophers lose to Georgia 70-58

Starr and Brunson's minutes seem odd. Bell, Wagner and Hubbard combined to play 114 minutes and score 50 of the 58 points. They were also 17-59 from the field (Minnesota was 19-70 overall). Again, these numbers seem odd for a team which had previously spread the offense. Was it game plan, execution or all the missed layups Corbu kept describing?

The stats also say the Gophers had 14 turnovers to Georgia's 13.

Starters:

T Bello
Edwards
Bell 20 points
Wagner 14 points
Hubbard 16 points

Minutes Played

39 Bell
38 Wagner
37 Hubbard
31 T Bello
22 Edwards
14 Barnes
13 Hedstrom
3 Starr
3 Brunson

And yes the Bulldog's Caliya Robinson's stats were: 33 minutes played, 30 points (14-27), 5 rebounds, 4 assists and 4 blocks.

13 turnovers for Georgia, not 3. Woeful shooting by the Gophers. Bell 6-21, Wagner 5-17, Hubbard 6-21. Wagner continues to be in early season shooting funk. I'm sure she'll work her way out of it, but the sooner, the better for the Gophers. Rebounds were even against a much taller team, so that's encouraging. Attendance listed at a whopping 229. I wish the NCAA would do away with these offshore tournaments, as there is little or no interest. I realize that these tourneys provide bonding time for the teams involved, but nothing that couldn't be accomplished with a team Thanksgiving dinner here in the States. No PT for Tinjum yesterday. It seems that she and Hedstrom have somewhat similar skill sets. Same goes for Bell and Brunson, I think.

13 turnovers for Georgia, not 3. Woeful shooting by the Gophers. Bell 6-21, Wagner 5-17, Hubbard 6-21. Wagner continues to be in early season shooting funk. I'm sure she'll work her way out of it, but the sooner, the better for the Gophers. Rebounds were even against a much taller team, so that's encouraging. Attendance listed at a whopping 229. I wish the NCAA would do away with these offshore tournaments, as there is little or no interest. I realize that these tourneys provide bonding time for the teams involved, but nothing that couldn't be accomplished with a team Thanksgiving dinner here in the States. No PT for Tinjum yesterday. It seems that she and Hedstrom have somewhat similar skill sets. Same goes for Bell and Brunson, I think.

Yes it was 13 turnovers-thanks for correcting. I must have looked at the blocked totals (2).

As far as the offshore tourneys, they may have peaked. The Gophers are playing two games instead of the traditional three. (One of the reasons for the offshore tournaments in the past was the additional game). On the men's side, on his coaching shoe, Pitino said, other than events like Maui, he rather skip the offshore tourneys. This year the NCAA allowed teams to pick up an extra game through some round robin scheduling-I don't know if this applied to the women's game.

It's tough to analyze just looking at box score or listening to the terrible radio call, but if the game plan was for the three starting guards to take 59 shots, it wasn't a good one. It almost worked somehow, but there's obviously no confidence in the front line offensively. Our highest percentage shooter Edwards only took 4 shots. Bello took 2 shots. The rest of the team took 5 shots.

Only 8 assists on 19 made baskets. Just terrible. That points to it just being the three guards mostly creating for themselves. Probably could have used Starr in the game more. She's great at facilitating in the paint, but having her in the game would have cut into the playing time of the three guards.

By comparison, Georgia had 23 assists on 27 made baskets. That's beautiful. That's a team looking to win. They might be a team to watch for in the SEC. And the player that killed the Gophers is a sophomore (Robinson) who comes off the bench, although she does get starter minutes.

Bell looks to be more of a scorer than facilitator. What I've seen of her facilitating so far hasn't been great. Is she going to be willing to relinquish some of the shot taking to get teammates more involved? I sure hope so, especially when Fernstrom gets added to the mix.

Hubbard was 2-6 from FT. Anything less than 5-6 should be unacceptable from her. Free points. Need all we can get.

I kind of wonder if the coaching staff tinkered with Wagner's shooting mechanics with disastrous results. She's always been a natural shooter. But now it seems like she has this ultra quick release three point shot that isn't hitting the net nearly often enough. I'd like to see her return to her old mechanics if that's possible and only take threes were she has the time to be well set. The most confounding thing is not being able to hit layups or being blocked a lot. When has Wagner not been money on layups? This should be an easy thing to fix, so let's fix it, coaching staff.

I think Wagner has had difficulties finishing layups with contact; although last season Carlie seemed to improve in that area. I don't know about Wagner's shooting motion; but they have taken advantage of Carlie's quick release from day one-remember Shayne driving the baseline and then flipping back to Wagner for catch and release threes.

I swear it's even quicker now, maybe because they want her to take more three point shots with a tighter window.

All I know is she's always been a natural baller including high school, and this year something seems less natural.

She's always worked out which is the main reason I was high on her coming into the program, but I kinda wonder if she's taken the power lifting too far? Could that be affecting the touch on her shot? This might seem like over-analyzing, but something is off and somebody needs to find out what it is. I'd rather fix that than turn away from her being the go to player. A freshman taking 21 shots? This freshman isn't Kelsey Mitchell.

Top Bottom