Game 1: Gophers V Harvard (11-12)

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
The Minnesota starting five mystery will be resolved-for a day.

As for the Crimson: last season Harvard lost in the WNIT first round at Hofstra 76-50. There are two Minnesotan's on Harvard's squad: senior Taylor Finley a 6'1" guard from Edina and as mentioned below Mackenzie Barta. Also of note is freshman and McDonalds All-American Jeannine Boehm a 6'3" forward from Winnetka, Illinois.

Last season in conference play the Crimson averaged 69.1 point/game while allowing 67.4. Harvard also averaged 7.4 three pointers per game in 23.7 attempts.

From Gopher Sports:
http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/110816aaa.html

Scouting the Crimson
• Harvard went 14-14 last season and finished third in the Ivy League standings. The Crimson earned a berth in the WNIT. Harvard was picked third in this year’s Ivy League preseason poll.
• The Gophers and Crimson last met on Dec. 10, 2011. Minnesota won 79-53.
• Head coach Kathy Delaney-Smith is the winningest coach in Ivy League history with a 546-375 record in 34 seasons.
• The Crimson lost last year’s top three scorers, but return their next three. Madeline Raster (6.7 points per game), Destiny Nunley (6.6) and Sydney Skinner (5.3).
• Harvard has a Minnesota connection in freshman Mackenzie Barta (Maple Grove, Minn.), whose brother Brandon is a former manager for the Gophers

Banham provided 34.2 percent of Minnesota's scoring (914 of 2,676 points), 40.8 percent of its 3-pointers (119 of 292), 40 percent of its free throws (165 of 412), 29.4 percent of its steals (65 of 221) and 25.1 percent of its assists (123 of 490).

I think this game will be over at halftime , especially if they try and run with the Gophers.

http://www.gocrimson.com/sports/wbkb/2016-17/releases/20161110efwr

Some info from the Harvard website:

CAPTAINING THE SHIP
Seniors Taylor Finley and Destiny Nunley were named captains for 2016-17.

Finley, a native of Edina, Minn., recovered from offseason hip surgery to become a key reserve player for the Crimson in 2015-16. She appeared in 23 games and logged a season high 24 minutes against Rhode Island on Nov. 21, 2015.

Nunley, a Dallas-area Native, was Harvard's top reserve last season, posting 6.6 points, 5.0 rebounds and 1.0 assists per game. She recorded a season-high 15 points against Brown on Feb. 27 and had seven double-digit scoring efforts on the year.

SOPHOMORES LOOK TO TAKE STEP
Harvard's sophomore guards had an immediate impact on the program as freshmen, as Madeline Raster started 25 of 28 games, Nani Redford started in 16 games, and Sydney Skinner played a major role with 12 starts and 19.8 minutes per game. The trio combined for 15.6 points, 10.1 rebounds and 6.1 assists per game. Raster finished fourth on the team in points scored (6.7 ppg) and earned Rookie of the Week honors Feb. 15. Skinner earned Rookie of the Week honors Feb. 29.

MEET THE FRESHMEN
Harvard is set to welcome four student-athletes from the Class of 2020 to the program this season. The class, which spans three states and includes one from France, consists of a pair of guards and forwards:

Freshman Guard Mackenzie Barta
Maple Grove, Minn.
Four-time letterwinnner and three-year starter at Maple Grove Senior … Served as a captain as a junior and senior... Finished third all-time in Maple Grove history with 1,205 points, set the single-game record with 37 points as a senior... Minnesota Miss Basketball nominee.

Freshman Guard Katie Benzan
Wellesley, Mass.
Five-year starter and two-year captain at Noble and Greenough School... Massachusetts Gatorade Player of the Year…McDonald's All-American nominee … 2,000-point scorer... Brother, Pat, plays basketball at Holy Cross.

Freshman Forward Jeannie Boehm
Winnetka, Ill.
Four-year starter at New Trier and captained the team as a senior…Named a McDonald's All-American...Second McDonald's All-American in Harvard and Ivy League history…Naismith Trophy Mid-Season Team...Naismith All-American honorable mention... Ranked No. 22 nationally by Prospects Nation and No. 81 by ESPN...Finished career with 1,872 points, 1,169 rebounds, 375 blocks, 254 assists, 142 steals and shot 57.1 percent from the floor...Brother, Pete, lettered one year in basketball at Harvard.

Freshman Forward Maria Guramare
Bedarrides, France
Three-year starter at Marcelin Berthelot …Played for three seasons for French National Institute of Sport…Selected to the South of France regional team… Competed on the French U15 and U16 national teams...Father, Marin, played rugby professionally for 25 years.

Let's play guess the starting 5:

Bell
Wagner
Starr
Edwards
Hedstrom

Brunson, Wagner, Starr, Edwards and Tinjum are starting.

The 3 freshman are doing very well so far after one half. Gophers 55 Harvard 47.

Jasmine Brunson: 11 points on 3-3 FG. (Would like to see her get more than 8 mins in the 2nd half)
Taiye Bello: 8 points, 7 rebounds
Gadiva Hubbard: 6 points, 2 assists

Definitely quicker than last year. Harvard is staying around thanks to 10-15 3FG shooting.

Surprised Kaposi didn't get any minutes yet.

Great start to their Gopher careers for senior Tinjum and freshmen Hubbard, T. Bello, and Brunson. All in double figures. Those three freshmen are all athletic players and none of them looked like it was their first college game. DNPs included Bell, Barnes and Karposi. Anyone know why Bell didn't play? Is she injured?

Stollings mentioned something about Barns on her radio show about " stepping up" I know last year she was coming off a knee injury, but she just didn't seem to really get after it Strange about Bell and Kaposi?

Gophers outrun Harvard 103 to 87.

Welcome to the Jazz and Diva show with a sprinkling of T Bello. Brunson and Hubbard just got more and more comfortable during the game and Taiye Bello really went after the ball. Taiye had a few weak spots; but a double double is a nice intro and makes you take notice.

Minnesota had 9 turnovers while forcing Harvard into 22 turnovers (the Gophers had 14 steals).

Hubbard's stat line was terrific!

Starters:
Tinjum
Edwards
Starr
Wagner
Brunson

Minutes Played:

35 Wagner: 27 points on an off night
33 Hubbard 16 points, 8 assists, 0 turnovers and 5 Steals
31 Edwards
26 Starr: 11 points, 7 rebounds, and 6 assists
24 Brunson: 15 points, 3 assists and 2 turnovers
20 Bello 10 points and 12 rebounds
19 Tinjum 15 points
12 Hedstrom

I think Edwards played pretty well although she allowed Harvard's Boehm to pin her low in the paint. Boehm is a pretty good player.

Brunson minutes were limited because Stollings set Jasmine after her second foul in the first half.

Bello played center and forward.

Of note: the only players not available were Fernstrom (transfer rules) and Bell (I'm not sure why)

Anyone know why neither Bell nor Kaposi played? I was unable to attend the game today.

Anyone know why neither Bell nor Kaposi played? I was unable to attend the game today.

Bell was on the bench sitting next to Fernstrom. Kenisha didn't participate in warm-ups. I didn't see anything obviously wrong. Kaposi, I assume, didn't play because the game was close enough to limit subs (Stollings used an eight player rotation).

http://m.startribune.com/carlie-wag...-basketball-over-harvard/400951195/?section=/

The Kenisha Bell mystery: a partial explanation.

One notable absence for the Gophers was highly touted guard Kenisha Bell, who played at Bloomington Kennedy and transferred to the U last year after starting her career at Marquette. Bell did not play, and Stollings would say only that she was “unavailable.’’ The coach said Bell will travel to Tuesday’s game at VCU and will be available to play

Thanks for the info. I don't know, I may be wrong, but you have to play some defense to get to the next level (ncaa tournament). Their two best defenders are Bell and Kaposi. Stollings seems intent on proving that you can out shoot people. I certainly don't want to complain about a win. Just tossing the idea around.

Their two best defenders are Bell and Kaposi.

How do you know?

They had 14 steals on their first game of the season. That matches the high from last season.
It seems they have better on ball pressure in this first game. I think they'll get even better with time. Nine new players have to get used to each other.

They had 14 steals on their first game of the season. That matches the high from last season.
It seems they have better on ball pressure in this first game. I think they'll get even better with time. Nine new players have to get used to each other.

I really liked the how Hubbard, Brunson, Wagner and T Bello worked together on D and on offense. There was a nice Brunson (off a steal) to Hubbard to Wagner break in the second half.

One game in, it's nice to have speed mixed with smarts. I'm impressed with how quickly the players picked up the offense. The Gophers did vary their D (applied some pressure, played some 2-3 zone and some man) The guards did a solid job driving and drawing fouls. Brunson can jet.

I think I heard Stollings say on her radio show that Karposi was a bit behind the other newcomers who spent most of the summer here (and Karposi didn't) so we might have to be patient with that. But based on what I saw from T. Bello today it might not be easy for Karposi to catch up. And although the Gophers gave up way too many points against Harvard, I think that based on athletic ability the defense has the potential to be a lot better than it's been in Stollings' first two years. I wonder if Kenisha Bell and Brunson will be similar players...fast, quick first step, ability to get to the hoop, etc. Seems like Hubbard is more of a 3-point shooter than Brunson, but Brunson can really get to the hoop...and the free throw line. As a Gopher fan, it's nice to see that the staff has recruited some women who will be able to play at this level.

A nice road test coming up against VCU on Tuesday. Interesting to note that VCU drew over 4,000 people in their first home opener this season, setting an attendance record. But I think it was one of those games where school kids get in free, as the VCU coach was thanking the schools in the Richmond VA area for their attendance. Don't expect a crowd that large when the Gophers visit.

The one concern I have is the 3-point defense. Harvard had way too many open looks, and they did a great job of converting them.

Whispers at the game that there was a practice altercation involving Bell. Hopefully just a competitive incident.

Wow, from what everyone is saying it all was good except perimeter defense. Bell along with Brunson should help shore that up.

I think I heard Stollings say on her radio show that Karposi was a bit behind the other newcomers who spent most of the summer here (and Karposi didn't) so we might have to be patient with that. But based on what I saw from T. Bello today it might not be easy for Karposi to catch up. And although the Gophers gave up way too many points against Harvard, I think that based on athletic ability the defense has the potential to be a lot better than it's been in Stollings' first two years. I wonder if Kenisha Bell and Brunson will be similar players...fast, quick first step, ability to get to the hoop, etc. Seems like Hubbard is more of a 3-point shooter than Brunson, but Brunson can really get to the hoop...and the free throw line. As a Gopher fan, it's nice to see that the staff has recruited some women who will be able to play at this level.

A nice road test coming up against VCU on Tuesday. Interesting to note that VCU drew over 4,000 people in their first home opener this season, setting an attendance record. But I think it was one of those games where school kids get in free, as the VCU coach was thanking the schools in the Richmond VA area for their attendance. Don't expect a crowd that large when the Gophers visit.

Good post! Taiye Bello played very well in her first game, and between her, Fernstrom soon, and Edwards, it might be tough for Kaposi to get minutes (Kaposi btw, not Karposi).

Top Bottom