FYI: '99 MN-PSU game on BTN at 10pm tonight

tjgopher

Reaction score
DVR Alert!

Just flipping through the channels and it says on the Big Ten Network that they will replay the 1999 Minnesota at Penn State game.

Just an FYI in case some of you wanted to watch it.

DVR Alert!

Just flipping through the channels and it says on the Big Ten Network that they will replay the 1999 Minnesota at Penn State game.

Just an FYI in case some of you wanted to watch it.

thank you! thank you! thank you! :)

i have never been able to see this game from beginning to end. i was in my car driving through wisconsin during the first 3 quarters of the game and only saw the last few minutes live. i guess that was the best part to see huh?!

One of the greatest Gopher football games of all time. The team just seems so cool and confident ... but aggressive. They played like they were inspired.

That Penn State team never ended up getting the credit they deserved because the Gophers exposed their weaknesses.

I caught as much of the game as I could last night (too poor for DVR). I don't think enought credit was given to Thomas Hammner over the years. He was a beast - like 40 carries against PSU. He was the only reason we won any games back then. Admit it, Cockerham was garbage and so was our defense. Ron Johnson was a baller, but who's gonna get him the ball? Everything went through Hamner back then.

Ryan Roth won that game.

Oh sure Nyrstrom booted it through as a freshman, but if you take a closer look you will find PSU sending Courtney Brown, and another player directly over guard with Lavar Arrington over the top. Ryan block three guys on that kick.

I'd love to see that game again! Too bad I didn't check the board last night!

It's good to see a classic game where the Gophers are on the winning side. A lot of times these games are "classics" because of on epic collapse on our side. Don't care to see too many of those.

You don't get it do you kool aid? Cockerham had the most beautiful stride! When he would hit the seam and go for 25 or 30 yards it would kill another team. He was the MVP in the Sunbowl game the Gophers lost to Oregon State that year. It was one heck of a game. Cockerham was about 25 for 40 something passing and ran for a bunch. Cockerham was named MVP ahead of Joey Harrington of Oregon.

And, Hamner was a great back. And, the offensive line was a pretty good offensive line. The guys they had coaching offensive line, Browning and Shaw could flat out put an offensive line on the field year after year.

I think the biggest mistake that Brewster made was in bringing in Dunbar and in not retaining Browning and Shaw. But, that goes on Brewster and he has had to live with the consequences. It was a big mistake though. He is back to square one in year three now because of that.

The Gophers kept plugging backs in with their offensive lines and just kept on running the ball very well back then. Hamner was the first in the long line of running backs who benefited from the offensive lines that Browning and Shaw put out. It was the scheme that made running behind those lines a running back's dream.

There were plenty of short-comings on the defensive side of the ball back then, but those offensive lines were really somethingto behold and if you couldn't appreciate those lines you will have a very long wait to see any better lines wearing maroon & gold and residing in Minneapolis! I'm awfully glad that I got to see that offense for that stretch. It was really quite a "run..."

You don't get it do you kool aid? Cockerham had the most beautiful stride! When he would hit the seam and go for 25 or 30 yards it would kill another team. He was the MVP in the Sunbowl game the Gophers lost to Oregon State that year. It was one heck of a game. Cockerham was about 25 for 40 something passing and ran for a bunch. Cockerham was named MVP ahead of Joey Harrington of Oregon.

You are right, I must not get it. I watched the PSU game last night and coupled that with my memories of Cockerham and the first word that came to my mind was garbage. Then to prove I don't get it, I looked at his stats. A quick browsing of gophersports.com gave me his stats for 98 and 99, add them together and it says:

comp att pct int td yds
239 456 0.524 22 26 3241

Those stats are average AT BEST. What do you mean by hitting the seam and going 25 or 30 yards? Are you referring to the playaction pop passes that you or I could throw to the tight end? And in regards to his MVP performance - anyone can have a good game. Oregon schemes against the run, we create a scheme around the QB and presto - MVP.

I do apologize for not giving the OL more credit in my initial post.

He was the only reason we won any games back then. Admit it, Cockerham was garbage and so was our defense.

Cockerham was a solid QB and a lethal running threat.

Our defense was pretty good in 99.

And, Hamner was a great back. And, the offensive line was a pretty good offensive line. The guys they had coaching offensive line, Browning and Shaw could flat out put an offensive line on the field year after year.

I think the biggest mistake that Brewster made was in bringing in Dunbar and in not retaining Browning and Shaw. But, that goes on Brewster and he has had to live with the consequences. It was a big mistake though. He is back to square one in year three now because of that.

The Gophers kept plugging backs in with their offensive lines and just kept on running the ball very well back then. Hamner was the first in the long line of running backs who benefited from the offensive lines that Browning and Shaw put out. It was the scheme that made running behind those lines a running back's dream.

There were plenty of short-comings on the defensive side of the ball back then, but those offensive lines were really something to behold and if you couldn't appreciate those lines you will have a very long wait to see any better lines wearing maroon & gold and residing in Minneapolis! I'm awfully glad that I got to see that offense for that stretch. It was really quite a "run..."

I was at that Sun Bowl game. Cockerham was the MVP and another Gopher won the defensive MVP and a Duck won special teams or something like that. But it wasn't because Cockerham was better than Harrington. It was because they made the sportswriters vote at the end of the third quarter--instead of after the game--and at that time it looked the Gophers were going to win the game. After that game the Sun Bowl changed their voting procedures awarding MVP and other awards.

When Brewster came in I, like many Gopher fans, was hoping we would keep the offensive coaches because we consistently had a top 10 running game. I can't blame him for cutting everyone loose and starting over from scratch but if he had to do it all over again I think he might give more consideration to keeping them around considering the changes we are making to the offensive side of the ball this spring.

Defense is more driven by the quality of player you can recruit than offense which is why I don't think Mason ever had a good defense after Gibbs left. Brewster is recruiting the type of talent that is needed for a good defense and it would have been good to see what I believe a future Brewster defense will look like with the running game we had with Maroney & Barber in the backfield.

Top Bottom