Fun with Rivals formula

Schnoodler

Ice Cream Abuser
Reaction score
Thanks to fellow posters I was able to procure a formula similar if not exact to the rivals formula used to Rank the recruiting classes of NCAA football teams.

The formula as deciphered by some math wiz somewhere and not stolen from Rivals is thus:

((N/(N+50)) * H) + ((50/(N+50)) * L) = R (rivals score)

Here's a link to furthur explain how they come up with this as generously supplied by Wiscbearsfan17 in an earlier thread:

http://life.atlantafalcons.com/topic/3832321-rivals-formula-for-their-rankings/

H is a score given based on the star value of the top twenty recruits or each team. (they only count twenty recruits in their calcs)
L is similar to H, also a score given based on the star value of the top twenty recruits on each team.
R of course is the actual Rivals team score.

N is the most interesting of the numbers. This represents the impact of the recruits. Athletes are given scores based on if they are a nationally ranked athlete at their positions. This is explained in the link pretty well.

What I have done is solved for N for all Big Ten teams as of today (12-26-09)

Through this score we can see how rivals thinks each team is doing competing for the best athletes in the country. Which teams are fighting for and successfully getting the better kids, and which teams are losing out or settling for (or targeting) less sought after talent.

I'm not a math whiz and it's been about thirty years since I've messed with even algebra as basic as this, so one of you math whiz kids can check this formula and see if it is correct.

Solving for N the formula hopefully looks like this:

N= (50R - 50L)/(H - R)

So it is my pleasure to introduce to you the N values of the Big Ten teams.

PSU = 259
tOSU = 174
Mich = 138
Iowa = 84
MSU = 69
Minn = 34
Ill = 31
Pur = 24
NW = 8
Wisc = 7
Ind = 0

Things of note, Penn State is kicking some serious ass. Michigan is sliding. Iowa is taking a step forward. Northwestern is not feeling their on field success in recruiting yet, I feel bad for Indiana. Wisconsin...:clap:

schnoods...I need to go buy some more wallets and a jug of JD, which will all help me in trying to follow you. However, you make complete sense.

Assuming your answer is correct then you are missing a couple of parenthesis around both of the N+50 in the first equation. Other than that the math looks solid to me.

Ya gotta remember, schnoods... those pair and thesis in math are extremely important.

Top Bottom