Fun new campaign to get U students interested in Gopher tickets

Stan

Reaction score
Awkward family photos!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Kudos to <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> marketing for this creative piece. <a href="https://twitter.com/PrezKaler">@PrezKaler</a> & <a href="https://twitter.com/GoldenGopherAD">@GoldenGopherAD</a> being good sports! <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23StudentTickets&src=hash">#StudentTickets</a> <a href="http://t.co/yvHfKW9IWr">pic.twitter.com/yvHfKW9IWr</a></p>— Nadine Babu (@NadineBabu) <a href="https://twitter.com/NadineBabu/statuses/465949991836868608">May 12, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I love it. This is the kind of creativity that has been lacking at the U for basically my whole life.

It would be better if Kaler were sitting on his lap like a mannequin.

If this doesn't make you want to buy tix, I don't know what will?!?

Kudos to those two for being such good sports!

Go Gophers!

And the sad thing is, that is actually Norwood's real jacket and tie.................

This is great, and they need to follow up with a series of YouTube videos, Vines, or SnapChats for students to interact with. Or, an app (that an intern could build within a week) that puts your face on a third awkward suit body next to them or next to Goldy - and let students post it on social media when they purchase season tix. In 2014, one set of JPGs broadcast on a Twitter account half the students probably don't even follow does not constitute a campaign.

There is a ton of potential here, but it's a good start. However...

I don't see the savings of $15 or $30 being the selling point here. Unless you can roll the tickets into your scholarship or financial aid package, it is more palatable for a student to pay for each separately as the season starts than to shell out $258 all at once. You want to still have some cash left in your pocket to buy beer with.

A more appropriate option might be a layaway plan like Texas Tech does for their season tickets (because, like students, their graduates are generally broke) or a rebate plan. If a student purchases the tickets for $258 today and swipes their ID to attend greater than X% of the games they receive $Y back at the end of the year, payable in straight cash to their student account or as credit at the bookstore along with a Z% off coupon to get more Gopher gear. Or, do a refer a friend thing like the satellite companies where you each get a few bucks back for each friend who signs up together - students are probably more likely to attend games if they have a group of friends also going.

I'd just be really surprised if they did a focus group and the outcome was that students wanted to save $30 by shelling out $258 at the beginning of the summer.

Damn. $260 for season tix for football, basketball, AND hockey, what a steal. Wish they had a deal like that when I was at the U.

Oh, and the ad campaign is solid too. Demonstrates that Gopher fandom is a unique club (and it really is).

Norwood Teague REALLY looks like Sam the Eagle in this picture.

This is great, and they need to follow up with a series of YouTube videos, Vines, or SnapChats for students to interact with. Or, an app (that an intern could build within a week) that puts your face on a third awkward suit body next to them or next to Goldy - and let students post it on social media when they purchase season tix. In 2014, one set of JPGs broadcast on a Twitter account half the students probably don't even follow does not constitute a campaign.

I don't see the savings of $15 or $30 being the selling point here. Unless you can roll the tickets into your scholarship or financial aid package, it is more palatable for a student to pay for each separately as the season starts than to shell out $258 all at once. You want to still have some cash left in your pocket to buy beer with.

A more appropriate option might be a layaway plan like Texas Tech does for their season tickets (because, like students, their graduates are generally broke) or a rebate plan. If a student purchases the tickets for $258 today and swipes their ID to attend greater than X% of the games they receive $Y back at the end of the year, payable in straight cash to their student account or as credit at the bookstore along with a Z% off coupon to get more Gopher gear. Or, do a refer a friend thing like the satellite companies where you each get a few bucks back for each friend who signs up together - students are probably more likely to attend games if they have a group of friends also going.

I'd just be really surprised if they did a focus group and the outcome was that students wanted to save $30 by shelling out $258 at the beginning of the summer.

Love the ideas for followups, of course none of them will happen here, but very creative.

Also agree that the savings is pretty minimal and probably not a huge selling point, especially when you factor in all the free tickets that are given away for football during the season.

Packages like this are going to be a tough sell for the administration until we hit a point where the demand for football is as high as it typically is for basketball and hockey.

But it is nice to see them at least trying something a little more on the creative side. And props to Kaler and Teague for going along with it.

Whoa!!! Whao, there cowboy. Slow down just a gosh-darn minute. This is the U of M marketing department we're talking 'bout.

(in all seriousness, great ideas)

Whoa!!! Whao, there cowboy. Slow down just a gosh-darn minute. This is the U of M marketing department we're talking 'bout.

(in all seriousness, great ideas)

Yeah I liked the part where TexasAggie11 said it was a good start. Maybe down in Texas that add would be a start to a campaign, up here that was probably the entire marketing campaign for the year and heck with a little tweaking they might be able to use it next year as well.

Maybe down in Texas that add would be a start to a campaign

Actually, this is our entire campaign:
LpnZ1CX.jpg

"Come Stand with the 12th Man in Kyle Field! Register for your football sports pass beginning tomorrow, April 10th. The 12th Man Sports Pass will admit you to all 6 home football games in Kyle Field plus over 170 athletics events during the 2014-15 season."

Basically, it's get your tickets now or be left out - your choice. :)

LpnZ1CX.jpg

"Come Stand with the 12th Man in Kyle Field! Register for your football sports pass beginning tomorrow, April 10th. The 12th Man Sports Pass will admit you to all 6 home football games in Kyle Field plus over 170 athletics events during the 2014-15 season."

And it'll work gangbusters! :) Wish we had that kind of fan support from the student body for football up here!

LpnZ1CX.jpg

This would not work in Minnesota. People do not like to stand.

LpnZ1CX.jpg

SIT DOWN!!!

family_naked-preview.jpg

Oh, I thought you were supposed to send your most awkward family photo to be eligible for student ticket prices.... Guess I better rescind that e-mail I sent to Gophersports marketing. ;)

It's a start, but as was said, there needs to be more incentive to getting your tix early. perhaps you get VIP status, which enables early entry with buying season tix? perhaps a tailgate lot with some prizes? right now there's really no solid reason to shell out all your money now for season tix.

This would not work in Minnesota. People do not like to stand.

That's correct. It's like a Minnesota Lutheran church service. The appropriate procedure is to sit quickly, don't make eye contact, say something when prompted but not loudly, and rush home without lingering after it's over.

This is great, and they need to follow up with a series of YouTube videos, Vines, or SnapChats for students to interact with.

Whoa, whoa, whoaaaaaa there Aggie. You must post in english on this board and those words are foreign to our marketing department. I'm just glad they finally figured out how to use photo shop with this campaign.

Top Bottom