Fuller's blog: DC expected to be named Friday

BleedGopher

Reaction score
DC expected to be named Friday
The Gophers are expected to name a replacement for defensive coordinator Ted Roof on Friday.

Roof resigned Tuesday to take the same job at Auburn. The leading candidate to replace him is former Nebraska and Wisconsin defensive coordinator Kevin Cosgrove.

Cosgrove, who coached linebackers at Illinois while Gophers coach Tim Brewster was a tight end, would be the program's fourth defensive coordinator in four years and the seventh since 2000.

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers/

Go Gophers!!

Brewster should hold a public debate between candidates first.

So much buzz about Cosgrove it's hard to believe it could be anyone else. That being said it seems all the info is based on one article out of Nebraska and not much else.

Coz has been just sitting around boring Wisc all year I'm kinda wondering if it is him why its taking this long. Brew likes things done quick and it would seem to be a good time of the recruiting year to get it done fast. Makes me hold out hope that maybe it isnt him.

I just cannot believe it. Our offense better start putting up 35-40 points per game though I am not sure that would be enough. Very disappointed if Cosgrove is our DC.

Does GI not have any better sources than the Lincoln Journal Star? I thought they had some sort of inside source that provided their scoop.

The Lincoln paper is not a good paper. As I said in a different thread my brother and I got a sports reporter their suspended for plagiarism a few years ago. He literally lifted an article directly from the Boulder Daily Camera, changed a few words around, and sent it in for print.

I don't think they have anybody doing any investigative reporting on the whereabouts of Kevin Cosgrove, nor do I think he keeps any close contacts in Lincoln after his turbulent stay there.

I figured that somebody in the know has been leaking the Cosgrove story. I wouldn't mind if we brought him in as the linebackers coach but I would rather have a young, energetic newbie DC than Cosgrove.

Cosgrove is stubborn, ill prepared to deal with the new offenses, comes with bad publicity and has lost the attention of his players in the past.

Brewster needs to really step it up with this hire. I would rather have somebody from within so we can keep some defensive continuity from last season, and create the environment that if you're a successful, energetic young coach and you come to Minnesota, there is room for advancement.

We need to be building a program here, not plugging holes every year. Brewster constantly hiring coordinators reminds me a lot of Dan Monson constantly bringing in transfers and JUCOs to fill his holes every year. It MAY work for one year but it does not build a program.

Unfortunately, a Kevin Cosgrove hire makes me feel that we're going down a dead end. It will be the first nail in Brewster's coffin and we will be looking for a new coach after 2010.

Cosgrove does feel like the DC version of Dunbar. Better than average but inflexible. Hopefully that's an incorrect read.

Does GI not have any better sources than the Lincoln Journal Star? I thought they had some sort of inside source that provided their scoop.

The Lincoln paper is not a good paper. As I said in a different thread my brother and I got a sports reporter their suspended for plagiarism a few years ago. He literally lifted an article directly from the Boulder Daily Camera, changed a few words around, and sent it in for print.

I don't think they have anybody doing any investigative reporting on the whereabouts of Kevin Cosgrove, nor do I think he keeps any close contacts in Lincoln after his turbulent stay there.

I figured that somebody in the know has been leaking the Cosgrove story. I wouldn't mind if we brought him in as the linebackers coach but I would rather have a young, energetic newbie DC than Cosgrove.

Cosgrove is stubborn, ill prepared to deal with the new offenses, comes with bad publicity and has lost the attention of his players in the past.

Brewster needs to really step it up with this hire. I would rather have somebody from within so we can keep some defensive continuity from last season, and create the environment that if you're a successful, energetic young coach and you come to Minnesota, there is room for advancement.

We need to be building a program here, not plugging holes every year. Brewster constantly hiring coordinators reminds me a lot of Dan Monson constantly bringing in transfers and JUCOs to fill his holes every year. It MAY work for one year but it does not build a program.

Unfortunately, a Kevin Cosgrove hire makes me feel that we're going down a dead end. It will be the first nail in Brewster's coffin and we will be looking for a new coach after 2010.

Assuming "someone in the know" is leaking information, why on earth leak it to a Nebraska newspaper? :confused:

Nate,

A lot of pay us good money for GI's cut-and-paste jobs from free news outlets!

Damn, you and your brother must be really proud.

Damn, you and your brother must be really proud.

Plagiarism is a bottom of the barrel activity, and when I read two articles that are exactly the same by two different people, you better believe I'm going to say something.

When I see somebody reference the Lincoln Journal Star as their source, I'm suspicious, and rightfully so.

The Omaha World Herald is the only reputable news source out of Nebraska.

The Journal Star

Come on now Nate, Ryle Jane does a hell of a job covering Lincoln high school sports for the JournalStar.

I agree with everything you say about Cosgrove. I am not a Husker football fan and I can't stand Cosgrove for what he did to the Husker defense. Never an adjustment in game, very conservative.

Come on now Nate, Ryle Jane does a hell of a job covering Lincoln high school sports for the JournalStar.

I agree with everything you say about Cosgrove. I am not a Husker football fan and I can't stand Cosgrove for what he did to the Husker defense. Never an adjustment in game, very conservative.

The Hambleton's are fine but they're mainly high school oriented. I don't trust that paper anymore.

I was trying to be sarcastic.

The Hambleton's are fine but they're mainly high school oriented. I don't trust that paper anymore.

The newspaper is a rag. The World Herald is slightly better. The high school coverage may be the best thing they do, sadly enough.

Cosgrove's first year at Nebraska...

They gave up 70 points to Texas Tech - which was a 10 on the Richter scale among Husker fans and gave rise to the "Fire Cosgrove" movement. His stats were decent at Wisconsin, though, over some eight years.

Most D's look pretty good when their O counterpart is ball control like Wiscy is. I wonder how much of his stats are padded by such a positive TOP advantage.

They gave up 70 points to Texas Tech - which was a 10 on the Richter scale among Husker fans and gave rise to the "Fire Cosgrove" movement. His stats were decent at Wisconsin, though, over some eight years.

Oh, if that 70 points had been the only time. In 2007 his teams gave up 76 to Kansas, 65 to Colorado, 36 to Texas A&M, 41 to Missouri, 49 to USC, 40 to Ball State, etc...

If it's Cosgrove ...

Why wait until Friday to announce the hire? Did he even work this year (not that he was working as the Husker's DC either)? Why didn't Brew hire him over Roof last year if he was available?

Maybe Brew's holding off on the announcement because the next DC is working tonight. I hope that is the case and Dan McCarney will be wearing maroon and gold tomorrow.

Nate, please don't report me for plagiarism if this has been posted already. :)

Top Bottom