FSN: Struggling Gophers plan to get defensive

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per FSN:

Last year's Gophers men's hockey team nearly personified the sports cliche that preaches how defense wins championships.

Minnesota ranked third in the nation during the 2013-14 season in scoring defense, allowing just 2.10 goals per game. That stingy defense was a big reason the Gophers advanced to the national title game before falling to Union in the championship.

Now, as Minnesota has limped to a 12-9-3 record entering this weekend's home series against Ohio State, a glance at the defense will indicate how the Gophers got to this point. Though coach Don Lucia's team is averaging the 10th-most goals per game (3.42) in the nation, Minnesota is surrendering 2.71 goals a night -- 36th in Division I.

Why the drastic change in the defensive prowess from one year to the next?

"Looking at our struggles this year, it kind of all comes down to making little itty bitty mistakes and little details to the game that we're maybe not doing," said Gophers senior forward Travis Boyd. "You don't think something as little as not getting a puck out of the zone or losing a faceoff or blocking a shot has anything to do with it, but I think this year our mistakes like that are little details that we're not really doing too well that are really hurting us.

"Maybe it didn't hurt us as much last year and it wasn't as evident, but it just goes to show that to win a game, it takes doing a bunch of little things right."

http://www.foxsports.com/north/story/struggling-minnesota-gophers-plan-to-get-defensive-020515

Go Gophers!!

If we plan to get defensive, Lucia needs to look at how he allocates minutes on the blueline. The guys who are making the mistakes leading to opponents' goals are some of the guys who spend a lot of time out on the ice.

Team defense has been atrocious all the way around and most of it has come from the upperclassman. Whether it's been half-assing blocking shots, gliding on defense, getting caught pinching, or tying up guys in front, it's been awful for most of the season. They can talk about getting defensive all they want, but at this point, I'll believe it when I see it.

Top Bottom