FSN: Jerry Kill puts out best sales pitch to bring out fans

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per FSN:

"I think not only students but our fans are crucial," Kill said during Tuesday's Big Ten coaches teleconference. "We're playing here at home Thursday night on the opening of college football when there's a tremendous amount of things to do around here -- that’s why this is a great city. But we hope to get a ton of support out at TCF Bank Stadium. We've got a bunch of new students on campus right now and old ones trickling in. There's no question we want as much support as we can get."

http://www.foxsportsnorth.com/colle...ockID=933379&feedID=5930#.Uh0KAaP7CNU.twitter

Go Gophers!!

I am pretty darn pumped for Thursday! I will be there to support! Leaving work a little before Noon to make the trip with some buddies from West Central, MN. Gonna be a great time!

No doubt. can't wait. By the way I'm pretty new on here although I've been reading the hole for many years.........always get pumped before the first game and then........you know.......maybe this year will be different. Would'nt that be great.......anyway, I'll be at TCF around 2 milling around with my sun tan lotion on, catching the victory walk(never could figure out why they named it that) and just getting fired up......

PiPress: Gophers football: U pulling out all stops to get students in the stands

All incoming University of Minnesota freshmen -- about 6,000 in all -- will receive free tickets. So will 2,000 transfer students. A new student tailgating lot will also be available for the first time.

Associate athletic director Chris Werle said estimated attendance for Thursday's game is about 45,000, including 7,500 to 8,000 fans for the 10,000-seat student section.

"Having the state fair and Vikings going on has forced us to really be smart about what we have set up," Werle said. "We think we'll get a good amount of students to the game."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci...rce=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Gophers!!

Why in the wide world of sports would you opt for a Twins game ( horrible baseball in 4 hours of searing heat) or a pre-season Viking game ( no starters playing and looking to go 0-4 )
I can see the State Fair, but the other two venues? C'mon people.

Hey Rupy....you left out your usual description of the Vikings.:rolleyes:

Why in the wide world of sports would you opt for a Twins game ( horrible baseball in 4 hours of searing heat) or a pre-season Viking game ( no starters playing and looking to go 0-4 )
I can see the State Fair, but the other two venues? C'mon people.

Judging by some of the comments on this board, there are a lot of people doing the Twins-Gophers or Fair-Gophers doubleheaders.

To answer the question of Vikings and Twins vs. Gopher football boils down to fan base and in this town its Vikings 1st, Twins 2nd, and everyone else is pretty far behind. Fortunately, Coach Kill is running this program with a proven formula for success. I believe the base will grow very quickly this year especially with the student population and Golden Gopher football will give the other two real competition for fan support.

Go Gophers!!

So if they didn't give away 8,000 tickets to students there would only be about 37,000 in attendance for the season opener in a 4-5 year old state of the art football stadium?

So if they didn't give away 8,000 tickets to students there would only be about 37,000 in attendance for the season opener in a 4-5 year old state of the art football stadium?

How are the twins drawing this year to their 2-3 year old stadium?

Giving out tickets to the freshmen and adding the student tailgate is the first smart idea the admin has had since they built the place.
It's not about bean counting your way to a short term financial gain, it's about FINALLY developing a younger fanbase and reconnecting with students and alumni after 4 years of poor planning and misfiring on gameday festivities.
I just hope the kids are allowed to make their own fun, and maybe 2000 of the 8000 are hooked for 4 years come hell or high water.

You need a new hobby.

What was wrong with someone posing that question? WHY are there so many attempts to control questions...statements...the content of these threads? What is everyone so afraid of around here? Attempted intimidation of people who have a legitimate question is not a very good thing... I think the use of free tickets is a very complex and potentially dangerous precedent...

; 0 )

Nope.

Your "setting aside 10,000 tickets for students" argument has some merit. We've talked about it many times with and without trolls. Don't take it here, take it to your Legislator. They put the requirement in there.

Of course that would mean that you're a resident of Minnesota, if so, fire away at them.

How are the twins drawing this year to their 2-3 year old stadium?

Giving out tickets to the freshmen and adding the student tailgate is the first smart idea the admin has had since they built the place.
It's not about bean counting your way to a short term financial gain, it's about FINALLY developing a younger fanbase and reconnecting with students and alumni after 4 years of poor planning and misfiring on gameday festivities.
I just hope the kids are allowed to make their own fun, and maybe 2000 of the 8000 are hooked for 4 years come hell or high water.

Won't that be wonderful! But, cutting back from 8,000 to 2,000 after the free ticket deal is done will still leave an anemic looking student section. Should they provide free tickets to all freshmen and transfer students for this entire season? Should they make it the new policy? What will they do if the students still don't show up when the weather gets a bit colder?

; 0 )

I think it means reaching out to students has been and is still the number one priority in terms of TCF Bank Stadium (0/10,000) because season tickets, ticket packages and single-game ticket sales remain strong (37,000/40,000) despite an 11-17 record in the joint.

Most of us here believe the program is improving at a good pace. I believe the Gophers have more potential fans waiting in the wings than any other B1G team. We are the 2nd largest media market in the conference and when this team turns it around, everything will fall in place (tickets, media coverage, free Blatz...).

Why is this chodesurfer allowed to continue posting here?

Won't that be wonderful! But, cutting back from 8,000 to 2,000 after the free ticket deal is done will still leave an anemic looking student section. Should they provide free tickets to all freshmen and transfer students for this entire season? Should they make it the new policy? What will they do if the students still don't show up when the weather gets a bit colder?

; 0 )

I meant 2000 retention every year would be good. That would mean on top of the normal student section. add 2000 to maybe another 3000 that typically will show on a good day. Next year, add another 2000, the year after another 2000.
Soon you have developed a fanbase, that will graduate and buy normal season tickets.
That's the idea at least. I know I'm very generous with the 2000 new loyal students every year.
It's better than what they've done in the past when they just assumed a new stadium would be enough to bring people in regardless of on filed product or gameday atmosphere, then shook their head in disbelief when it didn't work that way.

What was wrong with someone posing that question? WHY are there so many attempts to control questions...statements...the content of these threads? What is everyone so afraid of around here? Attempted intimidation of people who have a legitimate question is not a very good thing... I think the use of free tickets is a very complex and potentially dangerous precedent...

; 0 )

I just meant he should find something better to do with his time than hang around an opposing team's forum.

; 0 )

If you knew anything about sales, you would not decry the practice. The administration is building long term brand loyalty. Sampling a product is about building repeat business. A student that goes to one game is correlated to going to more than one game. If you miss the first game, it reduces the correlation of going to a second or more games. If I was a marketing guy, I would of course suggest giving away tickets as a way of generating future revenue because we know that the average person will want more if a fan. First games may not seem important from a game standpoint or fan preference, but from a marketing standpoint, they establish behavior.

If you knew anything about sales, you would not decry the practice. The administration is building long term brand loyalty. Sampling a product is about building repeat business. A student that goes to one game is correlated to going to more than one game. If you miss the first game, it reduces the correlation of going to a second or more games. If I was a marketing guy, I would of course suggest giving away tickets as a way of generating future revenue because we know that the average person will want more if a fan. First games may not seem important from a game standpoint or fan preference, but from a marketing standpoint, they establish behavior.

You speak as though this is the FIRST time free tickets have ever been given out on a large scale. It is not the first time during the Kill Era that lots of tickets have been handed out for free. During the past five or six seasons giving free tickets to students has been a fairly common practice.
Please be so kind as to provide the correlation figures of exactly how effective this has been in the past. I go to virtually all the games, and I just have not seen much of a carry-over from game to game or season to season since we have been in TCF BANK STADIUM. I've seen the free ticket ploy used by several ad's now but I have seen NO carry over factor.

I also don't necessarily disagree with the practice. It doesn't appear to have had much of an impact in the past, unfortunately. Maybe this time will be different...I HOPE! Hell, I don't even care if they ALWAYS give student tickets away for free. IF they ever had too much demand...they could always start a lottery system for free student tickets. But I do want to see the student filling their section for conference games too...even when it gets darn cold outside...and I DO NOT want to see wisky or iowa colors mixed in with the Maroon & Gold...

; 0 )

LOL - If you're going to require wren to something about what he says you might as well bann him now.

Top Bottom