FSN: Gophers No. 1 kickers still undefined

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per FSN:

Hawthorne has a leg up this time around, special teams coach Jay Sawvel said, but it's not because of his past playing experience.

"You treat him like everybody else, but his own life experiences train him better than other people," Sawvel said after Thursday's practice. "They haven't went through not being the kicker to where Chris, to his credit, has worked hard and done well.

"He's performed pretty well in camp."

http://www.foxsportsnorth.com/colle...s-still-undefined-?blockID=931985&feedID=3697

Go Gophers!!

I find it a little concerning that this close to the season they still have not locked on to a starting kicker or punter which I would take to mean that none of the options have done enough to earn the job outright. Special teams is an overlooked but key part of the game and we all know what it is like around here with unreliable kickers. I really hope that someone can grab control of these spots and be a reliable option because at some point you are going to need your kickers to win you a game or two and you want to know the guy going out there is capable of getting the job done.

I find it a little concerning that this close to the season they still have not locked on to a starting kicker or punter which I would take to mean that none of the options have done enough to earn the job outright. Special teams is an overlooked but key part of the game and we all know what it is like around here with unreliable kickers. I really hope that someone can grab control of these spots and be a reliable option because at some point you are going to need your kickers to win you a game or two and you want to know the guy going out there is capable of getting the job done.

I don't. It isn't like he has to learn any plays. Kicking in practice is much different than a game, so I wouldn't be surprised to see multiple kickers used ina a game to find out what they have.

I find it a little concerning that this close to the season they still have not locked on to a starting kicker or punter

Not at all...Kill has only announced one starter (QB) so far. It isn't like they released the two deeps and it said TBD next to kicker and punter.

You keep guys competing until the end.

I would be concerned if they were holding open try outs or calling the kid that kicks for Mankato State and seeing if he wants to transfer, but not because they didn't feel it was important to announce the starting punter in the same week they announce the starting QB.

Not at all...Kill has only announced one starter (QB) so far. It isn't like they released the two deeps and it said TBD next to kicker and punter.

You keep guys competing until the end.

I would be concerned if they were holding open try outs or calling the kid that kicks for Mankato State and seeing if he wants to transfer, but not because they didn't feel it was important to announce the starting punter in the same week they announce the starting QB.

Now that would be something to actually worry about. Even worse would be if Sid was trying out.

Hawthorne could be a player who can kick in practice, but when the lights, crowd, and opponents appear struggles to shank it. Whomever they chose he had better be on a short leash. We cannot have the punting sub standard.

Hawthorne could be a player who can kick in practice, but when the lights, crowd, and opponents appear struggles to shank it. Whomever they chose he had better be on a short leash. We cannot have the punting sub standard.

Let's make sure that we know more than the Coaching Staff.

Have you been drinking beer with De.Don? Hawthorne is a kicker.

Let's make sure that we know more than the Coaching Staff.

The Punting has been a problem at Minnesota. Name one great punter in the past 40 years. Field Position has always been a problem not a strength.

And to be one week away and no idea in public is not encouraging.

???

The Punting has been a problem at Minnesota. Name one great punter in the past 40 years. Field Position has always been a problem not a strength.

I think "no idea of the public" is encouraging.

Hum - Now I understand why it has been said that "Husker is astute. Not perfect, but astute."

True there have not been a lot of great punters but there have been some decent ones. Preston Groening is one that springs to mind as being solid but unspectatular.

And to those that are shrugging off the uncertainty as to who the kickers will be less than a week before game one I couldn't disagree with you more. I am sure the coaching staff knows who they will go with to start the year but the simple fact that right now we can't look at the roster and say that is the guy we can count on to go out and nail a last second 40 yard field goal is concerning.

Will someone emerge as a reliable option at both kicker and punter, hopefully. I for one feel a whole lot better entering a season when there is a clear cut #1 kicker like a Dan Nystrom or Adam Bailey on the roster as opposed to hearing there are 3-4 guys trying to win the job.

True there have not been a lot of great punters but there have been some decent ones. Preston Groening is one that springs to mind as being solid but unspectacular.

Didn't Preston Gruening led the nation on punt avg one year? I know he wasn't great his whole career, but I remember him being very good one year.

Also, he probably has the best passing stats of any Gopher player. 4-4 126 yds and 1 Td

Didn't Preston Gruening led the nation on punt avg one year? I know he wasn't great his whole career, but I remember him being very good one year.

Also, he probably has the best passing stats of any Gopher player. 4-4 126 yds and 1 Td

That's an NCAA Passer Rating of 447.1.

Just because Kill doesn't make it public doesn't mean they haven't decided. Keeping the pressure and competition going only helps. QB is the only position they have gone public with and they are still planting the "2 QB" rumors around.

Kill and Co. know exactly who their kickers will be, and probably have for a week or more. This is all part of competition, gamesmanship, and coaching.

Justin Kucek and Preston Gruening were two of the best punters in the NCAA while they were players. Gruening lead the nation in punting in 2000.

Kill and Co. know exactly who their kickers will be, and probably have for a week or more. This is all part of competition, gamesmanship, and coaching.

You may be right. Of course the flip side to that is they may know who they are going to put out there but they might not really know what they are going to get out of that person when the lights go on. I know people here like to buy into the idea that everything is part of Kill's master plan but I would be willing to bet that they are sweating the kicking game some right now because at this point they don't have a guy they can run out there and know he will get the job done on game day.

That may not be the case after a game or two but as we sit here today the kicking game is very unsettled. And as to the whole QB naming and what not, they had to do that for Nelson's sake so that he didn't have that cloud hanging over him durning UNLV week. As far as the kickers are concerned there is no ego to protect.

Justin Kucek and Preston Gruening were two of the best punters in the NCAA while they were players. Gruening lead the nation in punting in 2000.
Never mention Justin Kucek on here again. He choked on the AX. Perhaps my worst Gopher memory.

Never mention Justin Kucek on here again. He choked on the AX. Perhaps my worst Gopher memory.

Don't blame a freshman for his coach's inadequacies: "I didn't think of discussing with him what to do if he fumbled the ball. It's not something you practice." Hmmm.

You may be right. Of course the flip side to that is they may know who they are going to put out there but they might not really know what they are going to get out of that person when the lights go on. I know people here like to buy into the idea that everything is part of Kill's master plan but I would be willing to bet that they are sweating the kicking game some right now because at this point they don't have a guy they can run out there and know he will get the job done on game day.

That may not be the case after a game or two but as we sit here today the kicking game is very unsettled. And as to the whole QB naming and what not, they had to do that for Nelson's sake so that he didn't have that cloud hanging over him durning UNLV week. As far as the kickers are concerned there is no ego to protect.

I guess we'll disagree. It's "unsettled" for you because you don't know. I think the coaches know--and have known--and they are not "unsettled" by it. That's what matters. I think you'll see that.

This is not personal, but this is a prototypical Minnesota post: "sweating, unsettled, don't have a guy they can run out there, cloud hanging over him". I tend to believe none of that exists in the fashion you are guessing. I don't think that's how Kill and staff operate with 5 punters and 5 kickers on the squad.

Go Gophers.

I guess we'll disagree. It's "unsettled" for you because you don't know. I think the coaches know--and have known--and they are not "unsettled" by it. That's what matters. I think you'll see that.

This is not personal, but this is a prototypical Minnesota post: "sweating, unsettled, don't have a guy they can run out there, cloud hanging over him". I tend to believe none of that exists in the fashion you are guessing. I don't think that's how Kill and staff operate with 5 punters and 5 kickers on the squad.

Go Gophers.

It appears highwayman may be onto something.;) Personally I am not worried since I am sure Sid is working with Jerry to make sure everything is okay.

Dammit, we are Gopher hole. We demand that Kill release his entire 2-deep right now.

And while he's at it, he should stop Ben Affleck from playing Batman.

Dammit, we are Gopher hole. We demand that Kill release his entire 2-deep right now.

And while he's at it, he should stop Ben Affleck from playing Batman.

Yes, I am pissed. I came in second place for the role of Batman. I guess Ben is a bigger name than I.

Top Bottom