FSN: Gophers could have a QB controversy on their hands

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per FSN:

"I think right now, we're going to enjoy this thing. Philip's our starting quarterback if he's 100 percent," Kill said after Saturday's win. "We're in about as good a situation as you could be in right now at that position. That's all a plus."

So far at Minnesota, Leidner hasn't needed to use his arm to do damage. Saturday, he used his legs -- something he didn't exactly envision during his days at Lakeville.

"I never really thought of that. I thought I was going to be a passer," Leidner said. "It's fun running the ball, that's for sure."

http://www.foxsportsnorth.com/colle...B-controversy-on-t?blockID=942603&feedID=3590

Go Gophers!!

1500: Sandell: Gophers' Mitch Leidner gives reason to debate outlook at QB

All of a sudden, the cliché phrase that the media and fans alike tend to gravitate towards has crept into discussions about the Gophers' current outlook under center: "Quarterback controversy."

"I think Philip really helped him," Kill said. "You've got to throw that ego aside and do what's best for your team."

Kill's point could also be directed at the Gophers' long-term quarterback outlook. The coaching staff must decide what's best for the team when it comes how to balance two capable quarterbacks.

In this case, a so-called "quarterback controversy" is a good problem for the Gophers to have.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/...er_gives_reason_to_debate_outlook_at_QB092113

Go Gophers!!

The media likes to call it a QB controversy, I don't think it's a controversy at all. Both guys can play and both guys probably WILL play. They have similar skill sets and the same offense can be called with either one in the game. Whoever starts doesn't really matter, I expect both to have a big impact on the team the rest of the season. I guarantee the media cares more about who starts than Nelson and Leidner themselves. It's not a controversy, it's a positive.

Maybe. IMO, neither QB is really standing out one of them would need to pass better for it to be a controversy.

They'll probably both need to play. Hence, no controversy.

We have some interesting young talent, that's for sure. At least a year, maybe two, years away from being a real nuisance in the conference.

Indiana plays 3 QB's. I say we play Jones and Streveler as well. We won't take a back seat to Indiana!!!

Nelson is a better overall passer at this point on the timing routes than Leidner especially the quick out routes
and smoke screens which we will need against Iowa. Leidner can run people over better than Nelson and seems just
as fast. You can tell there is no replacement for game experience as Nelson seems a little more polished than Leidner right now.
I would hope Nelson would be able to fully practice this week and compete for the starting spot as were going to need him against Iowa. We cannot do what we did to SJSU against Iowa's front seven, our offensive line is not as strong and physical as the Iowa D
line. We try that same game plan next week, take what looks like is open the QB option and we will get run out of the building.
Iowa is definitely the best team we will have faced so far this year, there offense is as inexperienced as ours at QB but there front seven on D just about all upper classmen and have a lot of game experience the will have the edge on our offensive line. I fully expect the Gopher offensive line is going to struggle this week, they have a lot of impovement they need to make this week if the Gophers expect to win this football game. Right now the Gopher offensive line has been very average at best.

1500: Sandell: Gophers' Mitch Leidner gives reason to debate outlook at QB

All of a sudden, the cliché phrase that the media and fans alike tend to gravitate towards has crept into discussions about the Gophers' current outlook under center: "Quarterback controversy."

"I think Philip really helped him," Kill said. "You've got to throw that ego aside and do what's best for your team."

Kill's point could also be directed at the Gophers' long-term quarterback outlook. The coaching staff must decide what's best for the team when it comes how to balance two capable quarterbacks.

In this case, a so-called "quarterback controversy" is a good problem for the Gophers to have.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/...er_gives_reason_to_debate_outlook_at_QB092113

Go Gophers!!

I talked with a member of the Gopher football team. He plays on offense and mentioned he doesn't think both QB's, Leidner and Nelson, will return to the squad in 2014...only the 'winner' of the 'QB controversy' will. The other will apparently choose a path similar to Max Shortell.

I didn't ask for details, or an explanation, but found these comments noteworthy.

I talked with a member of the Gopher football team. He plays on offense and mentioned he doesn't think both QB's, Leidner and Miller, will return to the squad in 2014...only the 'winner' of the 'QB controversy' will. The other will apparently choose a path similar to Max Shortell.

I didn't ask for details, or an explanation, but found these comments noteworthy.

Damn, what will do without Miller?

I think they will both play here on out. Even if Nelson comes back as the starter and plays well, I'd still like to see a package with Leidner in there.

Let's try to enjoy the fact that the Gophs have some depth at a key position!

As far as the relative passing ability of Nelson and Leidner, I thought Leidner threw the ball very well against Western Illinois. And, you have to wonder what % of the offense we've seen yet. I suspect there are a few wrinkles yet to be shown.

I will say that I would really like to see more passes to the TE's. If I was calling plays, I'd want to feature Max Williams a lot more. In the immortal words of Calvin Griffith, "I really like that kid."

I talked with a member of the Gopher football team. He plays on offense and mentioned he doesn't think both QB's, Leidner and Nelson, will return to the squad in 2014...only the 'winner' of the 'QB controversy' will. The other will apparently choose a path similar to Max Shortell.

How prophetic...of Nelson's (former) offensive teammate(s)

Nelson was under a lot of pressure being anointed as the messiah to lead the Gophers to the promised land.

Nelson was under a lot of pressure being anointed as the messiah to lead the Gophers to the promised land.

Or he was some spoiled kid who thought he should not have to work for his spot And should be starting based on looks.

Or he was some spoiled kid who thought he should not have to work for his spot And should be starting based on looks.

He was the generally better QB and lost his job, originally, to injury on an big-effort play (the sprained ankle on the cutback). Those things typically lend to one gaining his job back upon recovery of injury, especially when the replacement isn't exactly tearing up the field. I can't fully blame Nelson for not being happy with the situation. That said, one can't fully blame Kill for using both QBs, either, though IMO Nelson got the hook too quickly when the offensive stagnation can largely be blamed on others (including the OC), instead.

Leidner displayed the ability to lead the team, at times, and the job appears to be his to lose, now. He'll step up. He has to.

So one thread wasn't enough on this?

Given the fact that this thread started last year apparently not.

Post 16 resurrecting this from many months back was a good post. 17,18,&19 were spewing the same things the other 40+ page thread is. Not necessary.

Top Bottom